Anybody see this on NYE?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saw it showcased the day before on the news, but wasn't able to find it on the tube NYE. Thanks for the link

Oh man, takes my breath away. The on bike camera footage is awesome. He Jdog, you up for a little jump? I'd do it and all, but I don't know how to operate the camera.... :rolleyes:

Cajones galore!

So, the announcers explain the brakes mid-air to change the pitch. Why does he blip the throttle? Did it both times slightly past mid-point.

Cajones galore!
So, the announcers explain the brakes mid-air to change the pitch. Why does he blip the throttle? Did it both times slightly past mid-point.
Blipping the throttle brings the nose up; the bike rotates around the spinning mass of the rear tire in the up direction as tire rpm increases. This is exactly opposite of tapping the rear brake to bring the front end down.

And in some of these jumps, the guys clutch and wing the motor just to be sure she doesn't have the fire go out mid-air. :blink:

Yep, in mid-air the engine rev induces a bit of gyroscopic stability as well.

The most I've ever done is about 165 feet. I could have sworn a chik tried to serve me coffee along the way. I remember having plenty of time to think about how much a bad landing was going to hurt.

Making that jump twice showed he meant it, every inch of it. I second the motion about the hot GF. Wonder if I could tag along next time for his 330-footer? He can have the GF and I'll do 165 feet and Jamie Little.

:)

The most I've ever done is about 165 feet. I could have sworn a chik tried to serve me coffee along the way. I remember having plenty of time to think about how much a bad landing was going to hurt.
Are you serious? Holy crap!

Most I ever did was about 40 feet. Landing that XL500R damn near broke its and my suspension. ...and it did hurt.

Most I ever did was about 40 feet. Landing that XL500R damn near broke its and my suspension. ...and it did hurt.
Thet's cuz summa us'ns done learnt we is 'taters (speck-taters) en summ you'uns haint learnt nuthin' et all. Them busted bones en all er dang ol' hurtful, en we er a bit "long-uh-toof" tuh be crashin' en burnin', noe whut eye meen? We haint soe wize, we jist tuk sum gude notes soes we doesn't hasta do thet kindy thang.

It was pretty amazing to watch. I knew they'd hype it for 50 minutes, so I kept checking in, waiting for the jump. The second jump was an amazing feat after completion of the first record setting flight. I hate to say it, but IIRC, Evel went to the "get-well-quick place" while this guy jumped twice. And yes, his girlfriend is nice to look at...probably high-maintenance, but very easy on the eyes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Unfortunately yes. On a Yami 250F in SC. Wasn't a very high one, but it was a loooong triple. Young man said... "You can do that triple to the table top Mr. Jeff. Just hit it hard in 3rd or 4th gear."

Dummy me, I came around the sweeping corner, heard his words in my head, shifted to 4th and pinned the throttle. Saw the beginning of the table top landing pass under me at the apex of my flight. Another 10 feet and I would have flat landed all the way off the far end of the table top (and probably broke every bone in my body). Air brakes just didn't work! Good thing it was dark.

You can bet his GF is high maintenance. But who wants one like her to keep? I just want to borrow one for a bit.