Anyone actually change plugs at 8K?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The thing with delaying spark plug changes is, you won't notice the slow deterioration in performance because it is so gradual. While 8K is probably a bit overly conservative, I don't get the rationale behind buying a high-performance machine like the FJR and then accepting less than optimal performance in the quest to save $12 in plugs. I've not met an engine yet that doesn't run better with fresh plugs.

Car spark plug mileages don't apply to motorcycles. They have better ignition systems and don't rev to 9K RPM.

High RPMs are the main reason for the shorter intervals plug change intervals - it's easy to get a high RPM misfire on worn plugs. If you don't care if it runs a little ragged from 7K-9K, you probably are fine with delaying plug changes to 30K or so, although you'll also probably be paying a few mpg penalty.

- Mark

The thing with delaying spark plug changes is, you won't notice the slow deterioration in performance because it is so gradual. While 8K is probably a bit overly conservative, I don't get the rationale behind buying a high-performance machine like the FJR and then accepting less than optimal performance in the quest to save $12 in plugs. I've not met an engine yet that doesn't run better with fresh plugs.
Car spark plug mileages don't apply to motorcycles. They have better ignition systems and don't rev to 9K RPM.

High RPMs are the main reason for the shorter intervals plug change intervals - it's easy to get a high RPM misfire on worn plugs. If you don't care if it runs a little ragged from 7K-9K, you probably are fine with delaying plug changes to 30K or so, although you'll also probably be paying a few mpg penalty.

- Mark
Everyone knows that fresh plugs and stuff is a waste of money! Todays machines are designed to not need a bit of maintenance, by highly trained engineers, such as the ones I see learning, um, every day here where I wor..., um, never mind. :D

How about these:175,000 miles, 1996 Chevy Cavalier, yes that is a hole in the ground electrode. The gap had expanded to over .080 (80 thousandths, specification calls for .060). The other three all had gaps over .080 but didn't have the electrode involvement. The car was still running good before the spark plug change though obviously they needed to be changed long ago. Just use this as a bad example on how long to wait, though, these went 75% longer than originally intended by the service manual and were still performing minimally acceptably.

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

This wasn't my car but I did do the service. These were original equipment A/C Delco
When did Oldsmobile start making Chevy Cavaliers?

- Mark

Well said. I did change mine a tad early at 4500kms (to eailry to convert sorry) to iridiums just for fun one day. The amount. Get to ride they will outlast me by the spec but i will probly change them after 10k or so. Why not it's not that big of a deal. Is it? Atleast I didn't mention my oil change interval :) .

Last edited by a moderator:
Had the dealer change mine at around 9k. The mechanic told me the Yamaha recommendation of 8k is a bit silly, and said that 12-15 would be more realistic.

RE. jmdaniel, I don't know how I included my Bravada in that post; should have just been the plug pic.
No worries, just thought it was funny to see a Cavalier mentioned, then see the Olds logo.

As far as back from the grave, I found this in the MotherofAll NEPRT thread, and had to comment. You know how I am...

:rolleyes:

No problem, I've lusted at your avatar for quite a while. (I don't lament my kids, they're great, but a vette is on my short list when I get a little more healed). :D I had an '84 but sold it when daughter number one went to college; no regrets but I still miss it some.

No problem, I've lusted at your avatar for quite a while. (I don't lament my kids, they're great, but a vette is on my short list when I get a little more healed). :D I had an '84 but sold it when daughter number one went to college; no regrets but I still miss it some.
It's all good, sir. The country needs folks like yourself!

27,000+ on the original plugs, mileage the same (high 40s); performance seems Ok. If my ass was 30,000 feet rather than 3' off the ground, I might change them now. Ian, Iowa
Mine is a brand new 2010 with less than 1300 km on the dial. It seems to be able to pass everything except a service station. What is a reasonable expectation (mileage wise) for all around driving?

Dale

Mine is a brand new 2010 with less than 1300 km on the dial. It seems to be able to pass everything except a service station. What is a reasonable expectation (mileage wise) for all around driving?
Dale
I'd be very unhappy with less than 20mpg, but I'm very happy to get 42-45mpg on my daily commute.