Anyone Done A Custom Map

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yanktar

Over the hill--and going faster!
Reaction score
I dropped the FJR off at Ivan's Performance Products to have him cut me a custom map with the dyno and exhaust analyzer. FZ1, R1 and Zook owners know Ivan from his jet kits and other performance enhancing tweaks. He's getting over 150hp from an FZ1 without turbo or NOS and friends tell me it's STILL an eminently ridable bike.

Ivan's an authorized PC tuner. I've never been happy with ANY of the maps, and my tweaks seemed OK but were really only WAGs. This one will be optimal for my bike. I have NO idea if I can share it or not--I'll check with Ivan before I do.

Since he has to keep it a couple of days, I figured I'd wimp out an let him install the Wilbers shock and springs, and the Spiegler rotors and pads. If I let him do them, I'll get to use them this season.

He's not doing the lines--I'll do them over the winter, because it would take him far too long to be worth it.

Ivan was grumpier than usual. I don't know why--that's Ivan, but I can't imagine the bike in better hands. He's not an FJR fan--too big. He's into the "sportier" bikes and really likes the old Suzuki two-stroke T-300s, T-350s, and the original 250cc X-6 Hustler. Since my first bike was a '71 T-250, (and it's in pieces in my shed) I appreciate them too. They are fun to ride. Simple, small, light (<300lb), and faster than you'd expect.

Ivan does good work. I have his jet kit in my '98 R1. It is the most perfectly carbureted bike I have ever ridden.

I have to believe that I hold the record for a drop in customer buying a jet kit from Ivan. I went to his shop personally to buy one. BTW, I live in Napa, CA.

I HOPE you had other reasons to come to the area...Ivan WILL ship the kit for a lot less than a plane ticket! I ESPECIALLY hope you had other reasons to come to Rockland County, or at least nearby...

I did a dyno session and my map is on my web site with the write up as well as at the Dynojet web site.

I'm currently runny Wally's "smoothness map" because of the time he spent developing it compared to many of the shorter session results that are available.

Last edited by a moderator:
I HOPE you had other reasons to come to the area...Ivan WILL ship the kit for a lot less than a plane ticket! I ESPECIALLY hope you had other reasons to come to Rockland County, or at least nearby...
I was in the area on other business. While traveling, I sometimes go to interesting places. I was about an hours drive or less, so I wanted to meet him.

I'm looking forward to trying it! Ivan says the bike wheelies really easily now and is super-smooth! I can't wait! Even in this Turkish Bath heat, he said it was making 126 ponies. More importantly, there's lots more power at low and mid-throttle settings.

Ivan has also told me that the map is his intellectual property. I have to respect that and will respect that. Please don't ask me for a copy--I'll have to say "no". Any other information about it will have to come from Ivan.

I should get the bike back tomorrow.

Y/T,

It's up to you, whether to share or not. I certainly respect your decision, either way, but..........In a business environment, if you pay for the service, you own the results of that service. If Ivan sells the map later, he is selling your property. If you pay for the time.........

I own a machine shop. When I charge for my programming time, the customer owns the programs - since they paid for it.

all the best,

Mike

I agree with eaglemike but I understand your position. Even though we all have FJR's that map might not work as well on another one as yours. So sharing it is not a guaranty it would give the same results. I think the only way to get really good results would be to have your own bike done. :(

I've booked a map-optimization & dyno session for next week at a Dynojet authorized center around here. Cost is between$120 and 200 depending on the time it takes them to achieve best results.

I have a Euro 2003 FJR 1300, LV slip-ons, K&N filter and - of course - a PCIIIUSB.

Stef

Let me make it simple.

If I give the map away, Ivan will refuse to ever do business with me again. Period.

So the choice is mine. I prefer to be able do business with Ivan. End of story.

Y/T

I'm sure he will do a good job.

I understand your position- really. But, I think that is poor business practice on his part, and is extortion. Plain and simple. If he owns the map, is he doing your bike for free???

Since that is his policy, I will NEVER do business with him. I'm glad to know what his policies are up front. To me, that's not how the "biking brotherhood" in my (alleged) mind works.

all the best,

Mike

Last edited:
Mark,

Don't know if you're aiming that in my direction. If you are, you owe me an apology. I just don't agree with how Ivan is treating Y/T. So, I choose not to do business with Ivan.

I've traveled thousands of mile to put put on tech days for a different bike, on my own nickel. I've personally helped close to 200 people learn how to work on the bike, and many more on the net. I happen to make aftermarket parts for some motorcycles, and have a couple in mind for the FJR, when I get time. Just because my post count is low - it doesn't mean I don't know what I'm talking about. BTW, I've helped install 6 or more PC's, too.

Also, I appreciate your info website for the FJR - It is awesome!

All the best,

Mike

i was aiming it at the shop that sells you your tune up and then threatens you if you dare show others how to tune their bikes. like others said, shops all over have done maps and uploading them to dynojet is normal. his "loaning" of the maps is the :asshat: I was talking about.

Go through the map, bump each setting +1 and then it's yours to do as you want. I dare him to prove otherwise.

Ivan is Ivan. You have to take him as is. He will give you hours of his time on the phone making sure you understand things, and not expect much in return. He is brilliant and he is edgy and he is a bit of a curmudgeon. He also never cuts corners. When he designed his FZ1 jet kit , he went through 70 (seventy) needle designs to find the one he wanted. When I had my FZ1 up there he adjusted the idle mixture screws and wouldn't take a dime.

He is honest as the day is long and won't overcharge you. But in return he asks certain things of you--that you respect his wishes. He never forgives people who try to shaft him. It took him two days to do the map, letting the bike cool down as needed. It now is smooth as silk, wheelies in first gear and dynos at 128 hp.

Ivan will bend over backwards to make sure his jet kits work correctly. For him it's a matter of pride that they should be right. There is simply nobody else who I trust so completely with my bikes. If you choose not to do biz with Ivan, that's your choice. Since Ivan doesn't have much interest in FJRs--too big and heavy, and prefers R1s, FZ1s and other sport and nakeds--and has a thing for Suzuki T-305s, T-350s and X6-Hustlers, it will be rare for him to see an FJR anyway.

It now is smooth as silk, wheelies in first gear and dynos at 128 hp.
Did he happen to take a baseline run before the PC-III? On another thread, someone was interested in torque and HP improvements.

It took him two days to do the map, letting the bike cool down as needed. It now is smooth as silk, wheelies in first gear and dynos at 128 hp.
So we can contact him and buy the map directly from him? Or is he expecting people to come to him and have him upload it?

It took him two days to do the map, letting the bike cool down as needed.  It now is smooth as silk, wheelies in first gear and dynos at 128 hp.
So we can contact him and buy the map directly from him? Or is he expecting people to come to him and have him upload it?
I can't answer that because I don't know. You'll have to talk to Ivan himself to see what HE is willing to do. All he said was something about maybe including it with the purchase of a PCIII.

His website is:

www.ivansperformanceproducts.com

His company is: Rockland County Motorcycle Service in Congers, NY

The business # is 845-268-1212.