Anyone get Lasik on their eyes lately?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So what's the deal with getting older after you've had LASIK? Do you go back to needing glasses again? I ask because I'm at that spot (45) where my eyesight is going downhill again after a long plateau.

At about 45 the lens in your eye has thickened enough that it cannot change its focus as well as it used to. The good news is that it will only get worse :angry2: By the time you are 50 the lens will essentially be fully rigid and unable to accomodate anything near. If you are nearsighted like rfulcher then taking your glasses or contact lens off is a natural bifocal. So some who get lasik only get one eye done or leave their non dominant eye still a little nearsighted, called monovision.

Ya think? What was yer first clue?

Actually I believe correction isn't what you need, more like discipline. ;)
Listen, fart-knocker - just sit down and STFU, mm-kay? Don't even make me come back up there and kick your azz again.

It's good to get lots of input before you make big decisions, but please also talk to your own eye doc or optometrist and get his or her input too, including a referral to someone with lots of experience doing lasik. There are also better and worse candidates for lasik, and they'll tell you where you stand.
Excellent advice. When I first mentioned it to my eye doc, he and I talked about it for 45 minutes! Then I thought about it a while, went back and we talked about it for another 45 minutes, THEN I went for the consultation with the laser dude. To map the surface of your eyes, they use this gizmo that's pretty cool, in a psychedellic sort of way.

I literally had to get up out of the chair and walk halfway across the room to read the big "E" on the eye chart. I'd wake up in the morning and have to feel around for my glasses, and god help me if they'd been knocked on the floor during the night. I was really helpless without them.
That's exactly how I was when I wore glasses.

Its been about 10 years since I had it done and I couldn't be more happy with the results. I used to wear contacts and I didn't always follow the proper procedures in terms of cleaning and taking them out to give my eyes a rest. The result of this was swollen eye vessels which according to the Dr. would of caused me problems later on.

The funny thing is that the only reason I had it done was that when I did track days at Willow Springs, going into turn 8 the wind would slip in the helmet and into my eye causing the contact to move around making it hard to see. Not something you want to happen at 150 MPH!

I found the halo effect to disappear after about 6 months.

Just had it done at the end of October. Had a three month check up just the other day and I'm now at 20-15. As far as halo's go the newest techniques almost totally avoid that issue, however while your eyes heal you they will be present. I've still got 'em three months out, but they are slowly diminishing. I'm happy with the results and at this point highly suggest the procedure. I would, however, caution you to go to a highly reputable Lasik surgeon who uses the latest tech otherwise your chances of complications increase.

Topspeed

Does it help? do you still wear glasses? any effects while riding? I've seen costs go way down and the selection of eyeglass frames for me look like Bus windshields. dr
I had it done 12-30-09. I had been in serious corrective lenses since age 12, contacts since 1981. I was measured at 20/200 vision; really bad. I now have no need for prescription glasses of any sort. 20-20 vision plus the doc fixed me up with monovision so I no longer need readers (I also had presbyopia).

Post op, no halo, night vision fine, no side effects. My doc is a god in the pantheon of this surgery so I was in good hands. I do find I need brighter light to read up close but that's it. Also, early in the morning, it takes me about 5 minutes to be able to read stuff up close. The monovision trick required me to learn to hold reading material more toward arm's length than up close to my nose. That was the only and biggest adjustment and it is no big deal.

I cannot say enough good things about my procedure. No more futzing around with glasses in the middle of the night, in the morning, etc. No more contact lens cases, solution or lens lubricant. I could not be happier with it.

It makes riding much more enjoyable for all the reasons it makes any activity more enjoyable. No futzing around with glasses, contacts and the necessary accoutrement.

Find a good doc and get a major league eye exam. It used to be that astigmatism was a contra-indication for the procedure but they can program the laser to deal with it. Your doc will tell you if you fit the profile for the procedure.

I would be happy to recommend my doc to anyone. He's local but has a global footprint in his chosen expertise.

The bad part? $3900 bills. You get what you pay for.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just had it done at the end of October. Had a three month check up just the other day and I'm now at 20-15. As far as halo's go the newest techniques almost totally avoid that issue, however while your eyes heal you they will be present. I've still got 'em three months out, but they are slowly diminishing. I'm happy with the results and at this point highly suggest the procedure. I would, however, caution you to go to a highly reputable Lasik surgeon who uses the latest tech otherwise your chances of complications increase.

Topspeed
These observations are right on the money.