Anyone in the Sacramento Area have Motoport gear?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

feeger

Reaction score
After reading all of the great reviews, I'm ready to take the plunge.

I'd like to compare the Motoport kevlar 4-way stretch to the mesh fabric.

Send me a pm if you're willing to help me out...

Thanks!

I have just pants..Air Mesh Kevlar Street Jean I'm about 3 hours from you..Wellington NV. Come up 88 perfect ride..as you must know!

After reading all of the great reviews, I'm ready to take the plunge.
I'd like to compare the Motoport kevlar 4-way stretch to the mesh fabric.

Send me a pm if you're willing to help me out...

Thanks!
Feeg,

Ping Mad Mike, he'll be the first to note he's "tested" Motoport gear and it held up well. As many are on this forum, he's a advocate of their gear.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have just pants..Air Mesh Kevlar Street Jean I'm about 3 hours from you..Wellington NV. Come up 88 perfect ride..as you must know!
Thanks! I've got a mesh jacket and pants to check out locally, but I may head up your way just for the ride!

Their website states: "Motoport can send material swatches to show the strength and different colors available. Note: Mesh Kevlar is the entire front/back and out side sleeves. Stretch Kevlar is inside the sleeves, bottom cargo pockets and pleats in back shoulders."

Their website states: "Motoport can send material swatches to show the strength and different colors available. Note: Mesh Kevlar is the entire front/back and out side sleeves. Stretch Kevlar is inside the sleeves, bottom cargo pockets and pleats in back shoulders."
Yeah, I saw that... But, I'd rather see an entire jacket rather than a little patch.

Thanks anyway.

Actually, mine has some of the 4-way stretch material. The black material around the wrist zippers is the stretch material.

IMO, for the heat of the valley and the Sierras....go with mesh. The rain liner makes an excellent wind liner in the colder temps and it "really really works"...road tested by moi on the CFR adventure (rain 9 of the 13 days we were on the road).

It was a bit toasty riding home today in 100+ head and WITHOUT a cool vest. In the summer heat the cool vest works wonders. I doubt the 4-way stretch material will pass enough air to make summer riding tolerable.

Crash testing submitted for your approval.....no road rash after a 45 mph get off while riding the KLR. Uhm...other fragile body parts didn't fare so well with the sudden, head-first stop into the guard rail. :rolleyes:

Actually, mine has some of the 4-way stretch material. The black material around the wrist zippers is the stretch material.
IMO, for the heat of the valley and the Sierras....go with mesh. The rain liner makes an excellent wind liner in the colder temps and it "really really works"...road tested by moi on the CFR adventure (rain 9 of the 13 days we were on the road).

It was a bit toasty riding home today in 100+ head and WITHOUT a cool vest. In the summer heat the cool vest works wonders. I doubt the 4-way stretch material will pass enough air to make summer riding tolerable.

Crash testing submitted for your approval.....no road rash after a 45 mph get off while riding the KLR. Uhm...other fragile body parts didn't fare so well with the sudden, head-first stop into the guard rail. :rolleyes:
Exactly what Mike said. Absolutely couldn't be more happy with my new Motoport Riva Air mesh kevlar jacket and Air mest kevlar pants. Exceeded my expectations in terms of how it fits and most of all, how protected I feel by the armor -- much better than even my 2 leather suits with far superior armor (ordered the quad armor upgrade, except for sacrum armor, which is the standard tri armor).

In fact, I'm suiting up right now to go find a little altitude on the Blackbird this evening -- and get out of the heat. (FJR is in the shop for a 4 week delousing.)

Thanks madmike. I read about your crash when I searched for "Motoport" before posting.

I have a mesh jacket now (Bates) and actually prefer my perforated leather in the extreme heat. I just need a little airflow to get evaporative cooling. I've just been soaking my shirt with water, but already ordered the miracool based on the reviews (including yours).

I'll be checking out Silent's setup tomorrow when I ride to his place for some farkeling.

Exactly what Mike said. Absolutely couldn't be more happy with my new Motoport Riva Air mesh kevlar jacket and Air mest kevlar pants. Exceeded my expectations in terms of how it fits and most of all, how protected I feel by the armor -- much better than even my 2 leather suits with far superior armor (ordered the quad armor upgrade, except for sacrum armor, which is the standard tri armor).
In fact, I'm suiting up right now to go find a little altitude on the Blackbird this evening -- and get out of the heat. (FJR is in the shop for a 4 week delousing.)
Dang, I type too slow... See my response above.

I'm looking at the Motoport Marathon jacket with police pants (quad armor on both). I think I can live with the reduced airflow of the 4-way stretch kevlar. The advantage I like with the stretch kevlar is that it should remain mostly waterproof for short rain showers (less than 30 minutes) based on the advrider reviews I read.

I'm looking at the Motoport Marathon jacket with police pants (quad armor on both). I think I can live with the reduced airflow of the 4-way stretch kevlar. The advantage I like with the stretch kevlar is that it should remain mostly waterproof for short rain showers (less than 30 minutes) based on the advrider reviews I read.
Actually, unless it was "pouring" or the skies looked absolutely threatening, I rode the CFR trip without the rain liners. When we knew we'd be riding for 2-3 hours in rain I would zip the liner in.

On the way home from Jackson WY, after leaving Salt Lake City, I could see the clouds ahead of me on I-80. I never did put my liner in as I'd ride through the showers for 10-15 minutes and then out the other side of the squall line . My riding shirt didn't get wet as the mesh held enough rain out I stayed dry. Here in the valley there are many times I've ridden without the liner and this trip is the first time I've ever used the pants liner. The FJR fairing protects my very well. Besides, sometimes I just put the rain liner on like a windbreaker and never zip it into the riding jacket. That's probably not the ultimate protection in case of a slide but.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Besides, sometimes I just put the rain liner on like a windbreaker and never zip it into the riding jacket. That's probably not the ultimate protection in case of a slide but.....
I never zip the liners into the shell anymore. I just put them on as a layer right before the outers.

I have and use both jacket and pants stretch kevlar motoport gear. The somewhat fugly but way comfy stuff. If you need more info or want to see more after your meet with the quiet one let me know.

I have and use both jacket and pants stretch kevlar motoport gear. The somewhat fugly but way comfy stuff. If you need more info or want to see more after your meet with the quiet one let me know.
I will take you up on that! pm on the way...

I ordered the Ultra 2 Air Mesh jacket nearly a year ago, and planning on ordering the Air Mesh Kevlar pants this week.

I had been looking at the Ultra 2 Kevlar pant, and called them and talked to a woman. She suggested that since it's quite warm often (SF Bay Area), I would probably prefer the Air Mesh. I have lots of >90 degree commutes, so I want the coolest armor I can get.

I love the jacket, it's great up to about 94 or 96...above that and it's no worse than the light-weight Joe Rocket jacket I bought while waiting for the CyclePort to arrive.

Latest posts