Anyone own a Gen II or Gen III Versys 650?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SouthernCruizer

Is it Beer:30 yet?
Reaction score
i have a 2004 WeeStrom as a "commuter/local" bike in my stable. I am thinking about updating to a newer bike...thinking about a Kawasaki Versys 650 based on reviews and form/function. I haven't been able to do a test ride on one yet.

Anyone have any experience on one of these? I am either looking at a new left over 2015 or 2016 (Gen III), or possibly a gently used Gen II.

I bought a 08 ( first yr. in US ) Gen 1 ? in Oct. of 07. I have over 48 k on it now. Still going strong. I changed the front sprocket 1 tooth bigger, corrected the speedo error, on that yr. I added bark busters to help keep my hands warm, ( I ride all yr without Ice or Snow ) made a bigger windshield from Plexiglas. Have to remove the gas tank to change or clean the Air Filter.

I have to say I was never easy on this bike, I beat the Sh_ _. out of it and it has held up very well.

You can PM me for any questions you have. The KLR forum shares the Versys info also. Not sure how current the info is there.

Good Luck finding your next ride.

Jay - our buddy MikeP bought the 1000 Versys a few months ago. It's a very nice bike. I think he's building a network of Versys buddies. You might reach out....

Must be nice to have a "commuter bike"....

Jay - our buddy MikeP bought the 1000 Versys a few months ago. It's a very nice bike. I think he's building a network of Versys buddies. You might reach out....
Must be nice to have a "commuter bike"....
Thanks for the info..will check it out.

Supposedly the newest redesign 2015+ has added additional rubber engine and handlebar mountings which have dramatically reduced vibration felt by the rider.

I'm thinking about getting one too. The 2017 has added a gear position indicator to the instrument panel. It was a cheesy add-on feature before.

Don't know which vibrates more -- a 180 degree or 270 degree twin?

The Versys is a 180 degree twin.

Supposedly the newest redesign 2015+ has added additional rubber engine and handlebar mountings which have dramatically reduced vibration felt by the rider.
I'm thinking about getting one too. The 2017 has added a gear position indicator to the instrument panel. It was a cheesy add-on feature before.

Don't know which vibrates more -- a 180 degree or 270 degree twin?

The Versys is a 180 degree twin.
The reviews pretty much state it's smooth. I really need to test ride one. At the end of the day, it boils down to how it compares to my WeeStrom, which I feel is one of the best bikes I've ever ridden. Hoping someone here has a 15 or 16 Versys and can give me some honest critique. I don't necessarily trust the magazine reviews.