Arai Mechanism

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spalkin

Reaction score
I'm shopping helmets and since Arai was the first serious helmet I'd ever owned back in '85 I thought I'd give them a good try. At first I looked away from the Arai line because of the higher price and the pain-in-the-ass shield changes (having owned an Arai back in '85 you didn't have to convince me that the shield was a pain to change).

So I picked up an EXO-700 and it's a great feeling helmet and great all around but I've recently been wondering if Arai could bring me back.

Now you've got to be on top of it when you're looking into an Arai because of all the shapes and sizes and exchangeable liner parts etc. I knew they had to have something that fit like a second skull.

But how about the face shields. All I hear are nothing but horror stories. "It's scary.", "Sounds like parts breaking in there!", "Those damn side covers!" On and on.

Surely Arai couldn't be bottom of the list in face shield change technology - could they? Turns out, no.

Here you go CLICK

And here's another one that's good.

So I go out to the local Arai dealer and ask if I can try on some helmets and see if one fits. Corsair - no. Vector - no. Profile- no. Quantum 2 - yes.

I tried on some Shoei's and I liked the TZ-R better than the RF-1000 just based on personal fit. The Shoei line gives lots of nice space for your ears. Very nice.

The salesperson liked the RF-1000 and said he owns one. I agreed on it's virtues but I was mostly there to see about Arai, no offense at all, I've owned Shoei and loved 'em.

We started talking about the differences and got right to the face shield change. "Oh it's a nightmare! Sounds like it's breaking." Then I put the helmet back on and showed him this cool trick I learned on the internet. He said "My God. Well I can't argue with that."

So I just wanted to pass this out for anyone who still thought it was impossible to change out an Arai shield. It's not that I need to change out shields every five minutes, it's more that I expect a helmet to operate easily and well in as many ways possible. The shield action is a big one.

I'd read a bunch of reviews complaining about the visor system before I got an Arai. All bogus. I really like it. From being able to get a small crack for fogging, to clarity, to not needing a ratchet system, to vents, I think it works better than any system I've used. The first few times I changed visors, it was a little bit challenging and I wasn't too sure if it was a good deal or not. With a bit of practice, I decided it is absolutely the slickest mechanism going. No funky little catch systems that break or don't hold, no tools needed, just your hands. Given the quality of construction, the comfort and the visor system, I think I've become an Arai snob. Don't sweat the visor system, a little practice and it all becomes clear.

I went back in to see the Quantum again. It's definitely easiest to remove the shield with the helmet on. I didn't feel confident enough to try to put it back on with it on my head with a helmet I don't own.

I'm sold. The fit is tremendous. My EXO-700 is very comfortable but that's just because they over pad 'one shell fits everybody' helmets more than Arai. The EXO's starting to feel loose because the padding is settling. With the Arai, the shape is right so less padding is necessary. When the Arai settles-in and forms to your head it can't go any further. That's a big plus.

I also checked out all the other mechanics on this second visit. The visor lock, kind of tedious to mess around with, Id just leave it unlocked (but good to have). The retractable chin spoiler, beautiful! The vents, fine. The lightness, the compactness, both huge pluses.

I couldn't figure out how to just crack the shield open that little bit. It must have to do with the lock tab. Maybe?

My only concern is quality control. I've heard about some issues and on the one they had for demo at the shop, the liner wasn't lined-up very well around the collar.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Profile. The new system with the levers is a little better than the old system. I have gotten such that I can change the shields while I am wearing the helmet. I had reservations based on the old mechanism, but will buy another Arai in the future....no problems. The Shoei is much easier, but the Profile is just too comfortable to let the shield make the decision for me.

shield system works great but it just sounds like something's gonna break....till you get used to it. Then it's kinda fun in a Bart Simpson kinda way...(RX-7)

I sure would like to get my hands on one of those AGV Dream-Tech Rossi specials....anyone familiar w/AGV?

I'm a HUGE believer in Arai. I've owned them all and there's no other brand that makes a helmet that fits my head anywhere near as well.

Still, I hate the f#*kin' shield system.

This time of year is the worst for me here in Texas. Bright sun for the morning commute, dark as pitch on the way home.

The shield is such a pain to switch that I just wear sunglasses on the way to work in the morning under the clear shield.

I'm a HUGE believer in Arai. I've owned them all and there's no other brand that makes a helmet that fits my head anywhere near as well.

This time of year is the worst for me here in Texas. Bright sun for the morning commute, dark as pitch on the way home.

The shield is such a pain to switch that I just wear sunglasses on the way to work in the morning under the clear shield.
+1 on all of the above! Love the helmet, HATE changing the shield. Needed sunglasses and had to buy expensive ones that could flex to fit inside the tight confines of the helmet.

I did steal one trick for the bright mornings/clear shield problem from somebody on-line. Get a roll of the limo-dark window tinting at your local auto parts store. Make a paper template of your shield with cutouts for the vents at the top of the shield and following the lines to the top corners of the shield. Transfer the pattern to (or just cut) the window tinting. Cut straight across the bottom of the tinting (Mine is currently 1 1/4 inches wide at the narrowest place from the center of the shield). Apply tinting to wetted shield. Doesn't interfere with normal sight lines, but you can duck your head to get a bit of relief when the sun is low in the sky, kind of like the blue stuff on the upper part of most windshields.

You must be doing something wrong, bro. 15 seconds max to switch if I take my time. See the link above to the Arai site, or just click here

Yea, like I said it's easier to get the shield off with the helmet on. I did it like a pro my first time. I guess the scariest part is putting it back on. If you see how that works in there you can get the right action.

I just purchased a Quantum 2 Grey Frost Lg. at MotoNeko in MD. $400 shipped FedEx for free! I heard about this place on here. Somebody recommended it. Great service, the person I talked with knew everything.

I figured I better get on it because Arai's just letting everything run out until the '09's come in.

xbizxv.jpg

In the words of Valentino Rossi - "I'm so happy as a people can be!"

I had an Arai for a number of years and liked it alot. I used to be change the shield at red lights. I kept the clear one in the tank bag for night riding. I have a Shoei now and it fits well but the shield is more work (but not a lot) to change. Certainly not a deal breaker

You must be doing something wrong, bro. 15 seconds max to switch if I take my time. See the link above to the Arai site, or just click here
Seen it. Several times. Plus this is my 3rd Arai helmet.

I have no problem getting the shield off. However, putting the shield back on my Profile is particularly difficult. It usually takes 2 or 3 tries. It's a needless pain in the ace on an otherwise outstanding helmet.

Update: The sucker came on Saturday. I ordered it on Thursday afternoon. Wasn't expecting it 'til Monday but it turns out they use FedEx Home Delivery which ships Tuesday through Saturday. Factory fresh, packed with love from Japan. MotoNeko, I bookmarked it.

Man, that new Arai smell! I have to order different cheek pads because I'm smiling so much. I also have to look into a sun visor strip because this is really like a second skull. Unlike my EXO-700 which had gotten loose enough to pull down far enough to block the sun.

I will say, for people who have Scorpion helmets, get the Aero-Skirt lower front wind blocker for $7. It quiets the helmet noticeably.

Riding impressions for this Quantum-2; Extremely compact and light weight. That along with the 'molded-on' fit makes it feel like you're helmetless. Effective ventilation with good flow options. The bell of the helmet wraps around the neck line plus the built-in chin spoiler (Arai's 'Aero-Skirt') makes it very quiet. I'm sorry I waited at all.

Just my .02¢