Are motorcycle tires nail magnets?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlyingLow

Reaction score
Happened again today! Does bad luck run in threes, or am I just unlucky?

About 2 months ago, I pulled a nail out of my '05 rear tire, plugged it, the plug failed on the freeway going to work [i mentioned this earlier here] so after work I went to Del Amo Motorsports and had a new tire put on.

Then, more recently, on my Suzuki Intruder, a bike I just bought for my 100 mile daily round trip commute to work, the rear tire is flat from a large construction staple in the parking lot after work. An automotive can of fix-a-flat got me home so I could pull the wheel and get a new tube put in.

So today, the rear tire is flat on the FJR. Dammit! This is the tire I just had put on by Del Amo. It only has maybe 2,000 miles on it. And it had a nail AND a smaller shank like a staple or a tack or something.

Again, dammit! I don't have this problem with my cars, and they have 4 tires [each] not to mention a larger contact patch.

Do you feel lucky? I don't :( .

I've had 3 flats out of four sets of tires. Seems like every time I get a new set I get a flat within 4k miles. :angry2: I don't ride on the shoulder and try to avoid all debris and pot holes.

I don't feel lucky. :angry2:

Last time I read a nail-in-tire thread I ended up with punctures on both bikes within two days. One tire had only 1500 miles on it. Plugged both but decided to get new ones anyway. I'm so sorry I looked at this!!

Might be worthwhile to go sweep your parking lot at work with a big magnet....

where do you live and where do you work? what type roads do you ride? etc. I think likely your enviro may have something to do w/your problems. Here where I live in MS, so far no real nail issues, but I have rock issues. Not so much a problem w/rock/tires but rocks kicked up by other cars and trucks and hitting me in the chest, neck, helmet, windshield, etc. :angry03: and I have not only the chips in plastic and paint to prove it, but it hurts like hell to get hit by a small stone in the neck and/or chest at 50-70 mph, bees aint crap compared to a small stone. I like to ride w/shield down but because of all the loose stones on our roads around here while in traffic I have to ride w/shield up. Both my truck and car keep cracked windshields. As soon as I replace one, it gets broke, kinda like your tire problem.

And here I've never had a flat on a bike. Maybe don't ride through junkyards? Seriously, is there a lot of truck traffic on your routes, roll offs, construction and the like?

I'm gonna go with the revenge theory. Sleeping with anyone else's wife?

just messin' with ya

Last edited by a moderator:
I hadn't had a flat in 26 years till I installed my first set of Avons on my FJR. 1st rear flat around 4000 mi. 2nd rear Avon flat after 50mi. 3rd rear Avon flat after 16mi. I don't feel lucky at all. I think the Avons are magnetic :D I'm on my first set of Perillis now and no flats yet. Keeping my fingers crossed (which makes it a little hard to drive the bike).

You do know that the Avons have a free road hazard program that pro rates acording to the tread left. So having a flat early in the tires life makes this a pretty good deal.

I hadn't had a flat in 26 years till I installed my first set of Avons on my FJR. 1st rear flat around 4000 mi. 2nd rear Avon flat after 50mi. 3rd rear Avon flat after 16mi. I don't feel lucky at all. I think the Avons are magnetic :D I'm on my first set of Perillis now and no flats yet. Keeping my fingers crossed (which makes it a little hard to drive the bike).
At least they're rear tire flats. I've had a few flat tires over the years, but all in the rear tires and it was a relatively simple matter to pull over to the side of the road. My understanding is that front flats are much less enjoyable.

I am, of course, talking about tires, not women. :lol:

I haven't had a flat on the FJR and if I get one I'm blaming the OP for the jinx. :threaten:

Bob

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Let me address some of the points you guys brought up:

Enemies at work? Yeah, but I would expect them to try to flatten my head, not my tires.

Groo: Yes, and doing FOD walkdowns from now on here in my neighborhood. Try this sometime; walk the length of your street and see how much sharp metal debris you find.

DD2000: Hope I didn't jinx you :lol: .

donaldb: I live in south Orange County and commute to L.A. County near LAX, mostly on the 405. It's a messy freeway and this could be the culprit.

Thanks for all the good words, guys.

I've never had a flat on the front yet either. I can only imagine how much fun that would be. I have used the Avon road hazard warranty in the past. They cover the tire for the first 1.4 mm of rubber. I had excellent results with their customer service. That is a plus for Avon. I'm not sure if any other motorcycle tire manufacturer does that.

GP

Got up Sat morning to take a ride to Palm Springs via 2 lane twisties and found rear Avon half flat :angry:

Found the small nail, yanked it and put in a Stop-n-Go plug. Went ahead and did the 350mi ride(I just couldn't bring myself to scrap the day) and the plug held but I was constantly wondering about it. I checked the rear at every stop.

Got new Avon on this morning, hope this doesn't happen again soon, tires are expensive!!!

FlyingLow: I also commute from O.C. to LAX. The 405 is getting worse with potholes :angry:

I had a fairly new Avon pick up a nail. Avon replaced it free but I had to pay for mounting and balancing. This is the best reason yet to run Avon's. :)