Are there any female FJR owners?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn, can't believe that I missed this thread.
Hello fellow pilots, my name is Heidi. I also ride an FJR. Total riding time is just over 5 years.

My thoughts... Like her HerFJR has said. There is heat! So far it hasn't been anything that I can't handle. Actually, there's been times when I was glad the heat was there. The engine makes a wonderful hand warmer.

I swear... it feels like my bike calls me from the shed, sometimes. I love to ride. THere's nothing like it for the soul.

The Feej... muscular, nimble, fast (sometimes too fast), plain good fun! I've put about 15,500 miles on my bike since I've owned it. I've got an '04 with many a farkle... much, which were there when I bought. I've added a couple of things as "creature comforts" since I've been doing a lot of trips. I had to add some Heli Risers, Wild Bill highway pegs & a few small bling items. Hey, a girls gotta' have some sort of bling!

I'm 5'8" & about a 32" inseam. When I first started riding it, she felt pretty big. I came off of a '94 Kawi Ninja EX500 & there was a huge size difference between the two bikes... although, the riding styles were similar. I'm really glad that I learned to ride on a sport bike.

I have since become used to the sheer size. Actually there's been a time or two, once I was feeling really comfortable with this bike, where I probably got a little too cocky . Really really... I don't intend to ride over my skill level!!!! She's definitely top heavy... but manageable. I've actually gotten pretty good at duck footing it around. Even though I "just" flatfoot I still need to be careful with parking positioning.

This bike has become a slice of my life. A new world opened up & that door is likely not to ever close.

Heidi

Edited to add... I forgot to say... I live in Norfolk, VA
Could you give us a link to that wild bill foot pegs and possibly a photo where you placed it?
Here ya' go zz...

linky to highway pegs & mounts

I bought my own pegs & just purchased the mounts from Wild Bill. A bud of mine has the pegs purchased from Wild Bill & I think that they're rather cheesy looking. Got some nice chrome ones off of Ebay. Did I mention that I like a little bling? Hahaha! These work very well for me. I like 'em.

I'd post some pics of my setup but have no pic sponsor.

Heidi

Photobucket would love to sponser your photos for free. Once your pixs are posted they have three boxes under the pixs that make it really easy to share links. So, show us your bling pixs....

Photobucket would love to sponser your photos for free.  Once your pixs are posted they have three boxes under the pixs that make it really easy to share links.  So, show us your bling pixs....
Thanks Ionbeam. I just signed up, uploaded a couple of practice pics and I'm going to give posting photos a try. I presently have no pics of my highway pegs... but here are two pics of me...

Sitting on the stone wall at the top of the Dragon... copius amounts of cigarette butts at my feet: (this was my look for the entire weekend because of a massive case of helmet hair)

Picture028.jpg

Traversing the Tail:

heidikb4.jpg

I'll take some pics of my bling some other time.

Heidi

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn, can't believe that I missed this thread.
Hello fellow pilots, my name is Heidi. I also ride an FJR. Total riding time is just over 5 years.

My thoughts... Like her HerFJR has said. There is heat! So far it hasn't been anything that I can't handle. Actually, there's been times when I was glad the heat was there. The engine makes a wonderful hand warmer.

I swear... it feels like my bike calls me from the shed, sometimes. I love to ride. THere's nothing like it for the soul.

The Feej... muscular, nimble, fast (sometimes too fast), plain good fun! I've put about 15,500 miles on my bike since I've owned it. I've got an '04 with many a farkle... much, which were there when I bought. I've added a couple of things as "creature comforts" since I've been doing a lot of trips. I had to add some Heli Risers, Wild Bill highway pegs & a few small bling items. Hey, a girls gotta' have some sort of bling!

I'm 5'8" & about a 32" inseam. When I first started riding it, she felt pretty big. I came off of a '94 Kawi Ninja EX500 & there was a huge size difference between the two bikes... although, the riding styles were similar. I'm really glad that I learned to ride on a sport bike.

I have since become used to the sheer size. Actually there's been a time or two, once I was feeling really comfortable with this bike, where I probably got a little too cocky . Really really... I don't intend to ride over my skill level!!!! She's definitely top heavy... but manageable. I've actually gotten pretty good at duck footing it around. Even though I "just" flatfoot I still need to be careful with parking positioning.

This bike has become a slice of my life. A new world opened up & that door is likely not to ever close.

Heidi

Edited to add... I forgot to say... I live in Norfolk, VA
Could you give us a link to that wild bill foot pegs and possibly a photo where you placed it?
Here ya' go zz...

I bought my own pegs & just purchased the mounts from Wild Bill. A bud of mine has the pegs purchased from Wild Bill & I think that they're rather cheesy looking. Got some nice chrome ones off of Ebay. Did I mention that I like a little bling? Hahaha! These work very well for me. I like 'em.

Heidi
I wonder if I can just purchase the brackets and put another type or style of pegs on?

Here ya' go zz...

Heidi

I wonder if I can just purchase the brackets and put another type or style of pegs on?

Yes, you can. That's what I did. I actually purchased a set of pegs off of Ebay. If you look at the bottom of my pegs the initials HD are engraved in them. Guess what THAT stands for?!?!?! They actually look quite nice... & 'VAT A DEAL I GOT ON 'EM!

'Tis the only thing HD that I'll be putting on my scoot.

Heidi

I have one of the first set of WB hangers, with a EBay set of Kuyakins bolted to em, fat and heavy.

8001-harley.jpg

I spaced them out somewhat with stainless washers, no fairing/leg/foot contact that way, and their robustness gives confidence and comfort. Had an old pair of flatties on at first, not exactly big enough considering the angle the leg and foot are at when using.

Find them here

I have one of the first set of WB hangers, with a EBay set of Kuyakins bolted to em, fat and heavy.
8001-harley.jpg

I spaced them out somewhat with stainless washers, no fairing/leg/foot contact that way, and their robustness gives confidence and comfort.  Had an old pair of flatties on at first, not exactly big enough considering the angle the leg and foot are at when using.

Find them here
Boy, those sure are some honker mo' fo's! Bet they look purdy good though, eh rad?

The pegs I have are turned up at the ends & there is rubber to keep the ol' boot from slippin' around.

I also thought about putting some spacers on the brackets to bring the pegs out further. After careful consideration I decided not to do that. I work with Engineers everyday & wasn't so sure about the weight/structural integrity once you started spacing the actual pegs out from the bike.

I decided to go with safe & not take the chance on sorry... although, I've been tempted a few times to try it.

Silver Penguin did end up getting an FJR eventually. For the first couple of weeks, DH was kind enough to ride it for me, until I got some Herman Munster style soles put on my boots. Those allow me to get a tippy toe down on each side.

You all know the great things about the bike, so I need hardly reiterate how agile and fast it is. The best things from a 'girly' point of view are: how cool the bike looks, the lockable luggage (purse and lunch alternate with helmet), and the reaction of other riders. One guy at work shook his head and said it was too much bike for him (he rides a Ducati).

The drawbacks for me are of course, the seat height since I am 5'2" and the top heavy nature of the bike. I have to think ahead about parking places and be willing to accept help now and again. The stock seat wasn't the best so I had a custom seat built. The builder suggested that I could lose some height with a new seat but would sacrifice a lot of comfort. I kept the tall boots!

Coming from a VStar, I have a LOT to learn about riding this style of bike. Guess the only way it lots of practice. Tough job, but someone has to do it .

Jill

Silver Penguin did end up getting an FJR eventually. For the first couple of weeks, DH was kind enough to ride it for me, until I got some Herman Munster style soles put on my boots. Those allow me to get a tippy toe down on each side.
You all know the great things about the bike, so I need hardly reiterate how agile and fast it is. The best things from a 'girly' point of view are: how cool the bike looks, the lockable luggage (purse and lunch alternate with helmet), and the reaction of other riders. One guy at work shook his head and said it was too much bike for him (he rides a Ducati).

The drawbacks for me are of course, the seat height since I am 5'2" and the top heavy nature of the bike. I have to think ahead about parking places and be willing to accept help now and again. The stock seat wasn't the best so I had a custom seat built. The builder suggested that I could lose some height with a new seat but would sacrifice a lot of comfort. I kept the tall boots!

Coming from a VStar, I have a LOT to learn about riding this style of bike. Guess the only way it lots of practice. Tough job, but someone has to do it .

Jill
Jill,

5'2"! wow, sorry but I got the wrong image in my head, something to do with tall platform heels...just kiddn. How do you think you handle your bike with minimal weight, since most guys here are in the 175lbs to 225lbs range? Also, because there is change in your custom seat height, does it make your reach to the bars further, or did you install risers to adjust your pullback length?

My custom seat ended up being pretty much the same height as the stock seat, to preserve the comfort for long distance riding. The distribution of the padding was changed though, which feels better.

I'd love to lie and tell you I'm in the 100# weight range but that's not true - well, not since grade school anyway!

Heli-bar risers have made my reach more comfortable although I still get that mid-shoulder blade ache after a couple of hundred miles.

DH adjusted the shifter for me to accommodate the boots. Initially, I tried riding with a pair of cute, sexy high heeled boots. They looked real sweet but the top collapsed every time I shifted, and the heels locked my foot into the wrong position. Hence, a pair of plain old motorcycle boots with thick, flat soles.

Managing the tall, top heavy bike is a challenge but I love the way it handles so much that I want to master the necessary skills. Coming from a cruiser, there is a tremendous difference in the way it performs.

Jill

I also came from a VStar 1100 Classic, which at the time was pretty awesome considering the KJS single manifold mod I did to it. So my learning ability between the two bikes was pretty steep, especially when I had less than 24 hrs before riding 600 miles, so I know how you feel. When you mentioned the heli bar risers and your shoulder aches reminds me of how terrible the same area felt several hundred miles into the ride. I might look into that, if you can vouch that it does help.

Jill, how much comfort would ou have to "give up"? Kasey had her seat lowered so she could reach the ground, and she puts many kilometers on her '03. Sometimes "lowering" isn't the best cure if they can "narrow" the seat to increase your ability to reach the ground. Just a thought.....

Anyway, glad you're part of the fraternity/sorority/whatever-ity of FJR owners.

hey zzkenoman,

btw, thanks for asking us ladies! i know we are a minority and some out there don't like us riding at all, so thanks for askin us for our opinions. this thread has had a ton of views and comments so that is really cool to see. and I just wanted to say thank you for starting it. i got a drink here for you!

cheers buddy!!

M-

hey zzkenoman,
btw, thanks for asking us ladies! i know we are a minority and some out there don't like us riding at all, so thanks for askin us for our opinions. (snip)
I have never met a biker who had a problem with another rider just because she was a female. I taught my wife to ride soon after we met and none of my riding buddies had a problem with her coming along for a ride. And now my oldest daughter is riding as well. Her biker friends are a mix of male and female, mostly sport bikers.

Have you had people actually comment to you that they didn't think you belonged on the road because of your gender?

i know we are a minority and some out there don't like us riding at all, so thanks for askin us for our opinions.
Ain't that the truth.

Let's see... "some" guys are like... "Hey, what in the hell are you doing on that bike? It's entirely too big for you!" Or they go entirely to the other end of the spectrum & want a ride.

Women don't really care one way or the other.

I definitely get some looks when I take my helmet off & someone will see that I'm a woman.

I don't like the fact that a lot of people (mostly guys) assume that I don't know how to ride. I've had my Feej less than 1.5 years. I admit to being a novice canyon carver... but I do know how to ride. I can hold my own in the twisties, too... but admittedly still learning the fine art.

Thanks for asking our opinion zz... it's been a pleasure talking with you & everyone else. It's also been nice seeing some of the other women on the board stepping up to be heard. It's been a pleasure ladies.

Heidi

Jill, how much comfort would ou have to "give up"?  Kasey had her seat lowered so she could reach the ground, and she puts many kilometers on her '03.  Sometimes "lowering" isn't the best cure if they can "narrow" the seat to increase your ability to reach the ground.  Just a thought.....
Anyway, glad you're part of the fraternity/sorority/whatever-ity of FJR owners.
Thanks for the welcome Mike. My seat has had the sides shaved which gives me a touch more reach. The guy that worked on the seat said he could have taken out more padding from the top but that would make for a lack of comfort on the mileage I have planned. Once DH get fixed up with a decent touring bike, we shall be on the road again.

Actually - he has a great touring bike today. I just peeked in the garage and noticed that the FJR is missing again.

I also came from a VStar 1100 Classic, which at the time was pretty awesome considering the KJS single manifold mod I did to it. So my learning ability between the two bikes was pretty steep, especially when I had less than 24 hrs before riding 600 miles, so I know how you feel. When you mentioned the heli bar risers and your shoulder aches reminds me of how terrible the same area felt several hundred miles into the ride. I might look into that, if you can vouch that it does help.
Yes - the risers have helped me. I'm in a more upright position when I ride now.

The learning curve WAS tough coming from a VStar. Since returning to riding a few years ago, the only bikes I'd ridden were the 650 and 1100 VStars. Getting used to the throttle was a clumsy experience. It was my first time with fuel injection and took me a while to get a smooth roll on and off. I had a bad case of 'beginner braking' too which eventually became more controlled. It also took a while to learn that this style of bike prefers to rev high. At first, I shifted way too early.

The best part was (and is) learning about the lean angle. That was one of the biggest reasons for getting a different bike. I still love the VStar but the scraping boards scare me. I rode the twisties like an old lady to avoid that scrape. Now, I'm building my skills and confidence for riding the fun roads.

Jill

Let's see... "some" guys are like... "Hey, what in the hell are you doing on that bike? It's entirely too big for you!" Or they go entirely to the other end of the spectrum & want a ride.
LOL! Have you been asked "Did you ride that here all by yourself?" or "Did you ride that ALL the way here?" yet? I wonder if some of the guys realize what they actually said.

I'm a real rookie on this bike but building my experience at every opportunity. It's great to have a place like this to chat with other riders.

Nice to meet you!

Jill

LOL! Have you been asked "Did you ride that here all by yourself?" or "Did you ride that ALL the way here?" yet? I wonder if some of the guys realize what they actually said.

I'm a real rookie on this bike but building my experience at every opportunity. It's great to have a place like this to chat with other riders.

Nice to meet you!

Jill
Hahaha! You've really gotten asked those questions?

That's just as bad as being asked by a Hardley Ableson rider "so, when are you getting a real bike". My answer... "funny, I was just thinking the same thing about you".... or the other reply... hmmm, felt pretty real between my legs over a 2000 mile trip!

Nice meeting you too silver P. or shall I call you Ms. Penguin? Hahaha! just kidding.

What area do you hail from?

Heidi