Are there any female FJR owners?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My middle daughter rides, or rode, until she wanted another car. She's looking again at bikes. Like many female riders, there are height considerations.

She's more on the sport bike end of the spectrum...wonder where she gets that from? ;)

My son rides too, an '03 Honda CBR600RR.

I read a statistic somewhere that women riders make up about 12% of the riding population, and are the fastest-growing demographic.

I say welcome. Any man that has a problem with women riders needs to get with the times.

Photobucket would love to sponser your photos for free.  Once your pixs are posted they have three boxes under the pixs that make it really easy to share links.  So, show us your bling pixs....
Thanks Ionbeam. I just signed up, uploaded a couple of practice pics and I'm going to give posting photos a try. I presently have no pics of my highway pegs... but here are two pics of me...

Sitting on the stone wall at the top of the Dragon... copius amounts of cigarette butts at my feet: (this was my look for the entire weekend because of a massive case of helmet hair)

Picture028.jpg

Traversing the Tail:

heidikb4.jpg

I'll take some pics of my bling some other time.

Heidi
The second picture looks like it could be in the next Yamaha commercial, really cool.

What area do you hail from?
Yes, I've really been asked those questions, when riding my VStar. The best I've heard so far about the FJR is 'Wow, that's a really BIG bike'. Rather than getting upset about the stupid comments, I figure that the person is just looking for a way to strike up a conversation.

Originally, I'm from England but have live in Southern CA for the last 17 years. Whereabouts are you?

Jill

Are you still in Southern California? If so are you riding with us tomorrow, I posted the Jan 28 Saturday ride, and there will be a repeat ride the following sunday, why don't you come along?

Are you still in Southern California?  If so are you riding with us tomorrow, I posted the Jan 28 Saturday ride, and there will be a repeat ride the following sunday, why don't you come along?
Still here, by the beach! My riding plans for Sat and Sun include a pre-dawn flight along the 405 to Long Beach, followed by a 12hr shift at work, then a therapeutic, de-stressing ride home. The job requires me to work at least every other weekend.

Thanks for the offer though. Perhaps next time?

Jill

What area do you hail from?
Yes, I've really been asked those questions, when riding my VStar. The best I've heard so far about the FJR is 'Wow, that's a really BIG bike'. Rather than getting upset about the stupid comments, I figure that the person is just looking for a way to strike up a conversation.

Originally, I'm from England but have live in Southern CA for the last 17 years. Whereabouts are you?

Jill
Damn, you're one of those western part of the U.S.ers. I want to ride out there soooo bad! I definitely, without a doubt have envy for all of you... out yonda'!

Well Jill, I'm all the way across the US. I'm in Norfolk, VA. There are some great mountainous areas to ride in the western part of my state... & north all the way up and south into Georgia... but have to ride a few hours to get to anything twisty.

My most immediate dream is to ride in the western parts of the US. I figure within the next few years I'll do so. It probably won't be on my own bike, though. Flying out will probably end up being my plan. Hoping to rent something as decent as a BMW... but we'll see. It's not immediate & my bags aren't packed, or anything.

What I was trying to say is... damn! ya'll are LUCKY!

Heidi

Last edited by a moderator:
The second picture looks like it could be in the next Yamaha commercial, really cool.

Definitely a stroke to the ego mister. Thank you! I definitely take my riding seriously, I work hard at it & I've had a good teacher, too. He rides the way that I want to ride & has taught me a lot. I've come a long way & have a lot to go, yet. Still a long road ahead.

Everyone have a great weekend. IT'S FRIDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (thank the good Lord!)

Heidi

The learning curve WAS tough coming from a VStar.  Since returning to riding a few years ago, the only bikes I'd ridden were the 650 and 1100 VStars.  Getting used to the throttle was a clumsy experience.  It was my first time with fuel injection and took me a while to get a smooth roll on and off. 
When I picked up my '05 FJR, it too was a bear to control smoothly at low speeds, but it had nothing to do with it being injected. The throttle free play was simply beyond sloppy. Once I adjusted that to spec, the throttle response was completely smooth and predictable.

I had a bad case of 'beginner braking' too which eventually became more controlled.  It also took a while to learn that this style of bike prefers to rev high.  At first, I shifted way too early.
It seems the bike can be ridden all day without taking the tach much above 3 grand, and it's smooth, quiet, and completely docile. Start sniffing around north of 5 grand, however, and it turns into a beast with fangs. It's a little like having two entirely different bikes. So while *I* sometimes prefer to rev it up, the bike doesn't seem to give a rat's ass either way. :)

What I was trying to say is... damn! ya'll are LUCKY!
Yes, we have the perfect place to ride, here in CA, and we appreciate it. Even at 6am this morning I was able to ride wearing a textile jacket over a thin, cotton scrub top. I had leather pants/gloves/boots and didn't even notice the weather.

Of course, I work up quite a sweat hefting the bike out of the garage and turning it around. That 'glow' keeps me toasty all the way to work. <G>

Jill

Are you still in Southern California?  If so are you riding with us tomorrow, I posted the Jan 28 Saturday ride, and there will be a repeat ride the following sunday, why don't you come along?
Still here, by the beach! My riding plans for Sat and Sun include a pre-dawn flight along the 405 to Long Beach, followed by a 12hr shift at work, then a therapeutic, de-stressing ride home. The job requires me to work at least every other weekend.

Thanks for the offer though. Perhaps next time?

Jill
Jill,

If you can make it, you would be the 1st Female Rider to do a California group ride, and I'll even document it with my little digital camera so everyone here can verify it.....that is if you can make it! (smile)

read here:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=5153

ZZ,
Sorry, but Carla has been on lots of group rides, including the first Gathering of the Clan...
Hmmm, busted two bubbles w/ one post!

Another female rider checking in. I'm in MN, and got my 05 FJR in October of 04. Due to a mix-up with the order, I got a non-abs. As he couldn't supply the bike I ordered, he's giving me a good deal on trading up to the 06A.

I've had 10 years of riding; 2 cruisers and a Pacific Coast. The Coast is actually a little heavier, but a tad lower. I'm 5'7" and can just barely flat foot. The Corbin close lowered just a little. The only trouble I have is with my feet down for parking lot maneuvers, especially if there is any sand or gravel. Although I'm not the oldest FJR rider, I may be the oldest woman at 61. I've needed a bit of help in backing up a slight incline, and, :cry: picking it up from the sandy spot.

We get the In'tl motorcycle show this weekend in Minneapolis, so am looking forward to sitting on the 06. It's a whole lot easier waiting this time though when I still have the 05 in the garage and my old Vulcan as a back up. Karen

Another female rider checking in. I'm in MN, and got my 05 FJR in October of 04. Due to a mix-up with the order, I got a non-abs. As he couldn't supply the bike I ordered, he's giving me a good deal on trading up to the 06A.
I've had 10 years of riding; 2 cruisers and a Pacific Coast. The Coast is actually a little heavier, but a tad lower. I'm 5'7" and can just barely flat foot. The Corbin close lowered just a little. The only trouble I have is with my feet down for parking lot maneuvers, especially if there is any sand or gravel. Although I'm not the oldest FJR rider, I may be the oldest woman at 61. I've needed a bit of help in backing up a slight incline, and, :cry: picking it up from the sandy spot.

We get the In'tl motorcycle show this weekend in Minneapolis, so am looking forward to sitting on the 06. It's a whole lot easier waiting this time though when I still have the 05 in the garage and my old Vulcan as a back up. Karen
Great Karen,

I am certainly proud of you for still riding.

Hey Karen! WELCOME! Always great to meet a fellow pilot.

Heidi

Hey Karen!!!

u rock! and so does Minnesota! I'm from there and miss the riding there so badly!! I miss the lakes sooooo much. nobody does parkways like MN. I've been in Texas for over 5 years now but always go back for 4th of July cause summer is the best there. I get to take my dad's Valkyrie out when i visit my hometown which has 5 lakes in it. awesome cruisin!

Glad you posted! Someday I will get my FJR up there!!

If you can make it, you would be the 1st Female Rider to do a California group ride, and I'll even document it with my little digital camera so everyone here can verify it.....that is if you can make it! (smile)
Thanks for the invite ZZ. I'm still very much the nervous rookie so it's going to take me a while to build the courage to join a group ride. That day will come though.

Jill