Autocom in Magnetic Tank Bag

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caryb

Reaction score
New Autocom for Christmas and am working through the mounting options. I am leaning heavily toward the tank bag mounting option and I am curious if I can use a Magnetic tank bag safely with the electronics. Does anyone have experiences with this setup they would like to share?

Thanks,

CaryB

Duh...

The Electro-magnetic interference from the Autocom will probably negate the horsepower boost you got when you started using that magnetic tank bag to align all of the electrons in the fuel.

:)

So I really was not trying to ask a smart a$$ question. I have always thought/heard it was a bad idea to put electronic equipment near strong magnetic fields. Heaven knows I have screwed up a few computer disks with a magnetic field. So I was curious if the magnets in the tank bags would interfere with the electronics in the Autocom and its associated accessories like the cell phone.

Sounds like madmike has been trouble free. not quite certain what renegade's experience has been based on his post.

So I really was not trying to ask a smart a$ question. I have always thought/heard it was a bad idea to put electronic equipment near strong magnetic fields. Heaven knows I have screwed up a few computer disks with a magnetic field. So I was curious if the magnets in the tank bags would interfere with the electronics in the Autocom and its associated accessories like the cell phone.
Sounds like madmike has been trouble free. not quite certain what renegade's experience has been based on his post.
There's no such thing as a stupid question... Only stupid answers :)

I have carried many electronics in my magnetic tank bag w/o issue, though not specifically an AutoCom...

*YMMV

I don't have a comm system in my magnetic tankbag but I do carry digital camera...amongst other things.

From what I've heard, the magnets are not a problem because they are not oriented inward - towards your bag...but outwards - towards the metal tank.

Makes sense to me...but what do I know...and my digital cameras have never had a problem.

So I really was not trying to ask a smart a$$ question. I have always thought/heard it was a bad idea to put electronic equipment near strong magnetic fields. Heaven knows I have screwed up a few computer disks with a magnetic field. So I was curious if the magnets in the tank bags would interfere with the electronics in the Autocom and its associated accessories like the cell phone.
Okay, I was trying to give a short answer.

Yes, strong magnets can interrupt magnetic aligned discs, etc., and I would think that "sensitive" electronics might be harmed by a strong magnetic field. There are many magnets in a tank bag base and they are spaced apart so the field of force is spread out. I too carry my digital camera in my tank bag and have never lost a picture from the card. I wouldn't carry CDs or DVDs in there, but I've never experienced any issues with interference or lack of funtion with the autocomm as there are no proprietory memory strips in the autocomm (starcom, etc.).

I have mine mounted sideways along the back "wall" of my tank bag so that the center portion is left wide open. I put a piece of 3/8" clear tube on the vox adjuster and stuck it out the "cable port" of my Nelson-Rigg. And I could route all of the wires and cables along the bottom edge along the inside of the bag to the rear and tuck the excess under the autocomm unit.

There is quite a bit of padding in the bottom of my tank bag, so I'm assuming that also helps separate the magnetic field from anything carried inside.

And, as renegade reported, leaving the magnetic bag on the bike helps magnetize the gas tank and causes the molecules in the gasoline to align properly, North to South, which exponentially increases my gas mileage. All you have to do is get a compass and make sure all the magnets are turned so that their North polarity is toward the front of the bike. :D This actually helps with wind deflection and heat management...it has something to do with the feng shui and the zen of being a sport-touring rider. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anybody carried their credit cards in a magnetic tank bag? I don't think I'd want to try that...

Has anybody carried their credit cards in a magnetic tank bag? I don't think I'd want to try that...

I put my wallet in my tank bag for long distance riding to get the lump out of my back pocket. Myth Busters tried to erase credit cards with regular magnets which didn't do anything. The only magnet that had any effect was a rare earth magnet which is very strong and erased the data on a CC card.

I can't get iron to stick to the inside of the tank bag, so assume it's shielded. but, to be sure, I removed the magnets that were in the middle of the tank bag & left the ones on the "wings". Still sticks like it's glued on w/60mph gusts from the side & gave me peace of mind.

love my Autocom. Dont ride with out it..

DSCF0005.jpg

Jdog

Yes, strong magnets can interrupt magnetic aligned discs, etc., and I would think that "sensitive" electronics might be harmed by a strong magnetic field. There are many magnets in a tank bag base and they are spaced apart so the field of force is spread out. I too carry my digital camera in my tank bag and have never lost a picture from the card. I wouldn't carry CDs or DVDs in there, but I've never experienced any issues with interference or lack of funtion with the autocomm as there are no proprietory memory strips in the autocomm (starcom, etc.).

I have mine mounted sideways along the back "wall" of my tank bag so that the center portion is left wide open. I put a piece of 3/8" clear tube on the vox adjuster and stuck it out the "cable port" of my Nelson-Rigg. And I could route all of the wires and cables along the bottom edge along the inside of the bag to the rear and tuck the excess under the autocomm unit.

There is quite a bit of padding in the bottom of my tank bag, so I'm assuming that also helps separate the magnetic field from anything carried inside.

And, as renegade reported, leaving the magnetic bag on the bike helps magnetize the gas tank and causes the molecules in the gasoline to align properly, North to South, which exponentially increases my gas mileage. All you have to do is get a compass and make sure all the magnets are turned so that their North polarity is toward the front of the bike. :D This actually helps with wind deflection and heat management...it has something to do with the feng shui and the zen of being a sport-touring rider. ;)
So does that work all the time, or only when you're riding due south?

As far as CDs or DVD's go, I wouldn't think those would be affected either but you probably wouldn't want to carry an old Philco TV in the bag.

Autocom's parts list includes a small magnetic tank bag so take what you will from that about whether it is okay to put it in a magnetic tank bag.

Anyone carry a laptop in a magnetic tank bag? Any concerns there? If credit cards are safe I'm assuming this would be safe as well??

The Mythbusters debunked that. It has to be an insanely strong magnetic field to scramble a credit card. Magnetic tank bags are safe for all credit cards and consumer grade electronics.

Magnetic tank bags are safe for all credit cards and consumer grade electronics.

That is, except for old B&W Philco TVs.

Of course that pertains only when viewing and we all know, no one would watch TV while riding. :blink:

I am working to build a communications type tankbag. Sounds like you have quite a set-up, can you post a couple pictures????

CD's and DVD's are not effected by magnets in any way whatsoever. Only computer discs or tapes are erased. A cd or dvd has information burned into it by a laser.