Autocom/ipod/noise help needed

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark G

Reaction score
I've an interesting problem with an ipod, using an Autocom and a little amplifier, and a ground loop isolator.

On battery power, there's no noise (alternator or other ignition noise), but when plugged into the cubby with a Belkin cigarette lighter adapter, bzzzzzzzzzzzzt. The interesting part is that I can plug a Roady into that same receptacle and have clean sound. Obviously, the Belkin adapter is the problem. Is there a solution short of trying a different brand adapter, and if so, what's the best adapter to use?

The second problem is with the Autocom Active Plus system itself. The mikes work fine, the mute works fine, but MAN there's a lot of background noise when using the mikes...VERY "staticky." Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Mark

Call Autocom.

they love to talk about this stuff. They'll put one of their geek guys on the line right away.

For more information,

contact us by:

Phone: 1-888-851-GEAR

Email: [email protected]

Mail: P.O. Box 1477

Slingerlands, NY 12159

Sounds like your power source is introducing unwanted noise into the system. I have used an ipod, GPS, sat radio, cell phone etc through mine with no noise issues, even while making cell calls at elevated speeds. If you can, try and hook up power from another source. There's a good chance that your noise problems will go away.

Sounds like your power source is introducing unwanted noise into the system. I have used an ipod, GPS, sat radio, cell phone etc through mine with no noise issues, even while making cell calls at elevated speeds. If you can, try and hook up power from another source. There's a good chance that your noise problems will go away.
Well, that's what I thought, too, but if that were the case, I'd think any source would introduce the noise, and I only get it with microphone use...the static...and the ipod deal is definitely the Belkin adapter. There's something haywire with the mike section of the Autocom...I have a previous generation Autocom on the Goldwing, and it works perfectly with the same mikes.

Hmmmmm....surely the microphones are the same? I'm using the mikes from the older unit.

Your Belkin adapter may not be isolated from ground while the Roady may be - so you might get noise from a ground loop.

Or else, perhaps your adapter is just crap and you need a better one. Do you get the same noise when you plug the Belkin into the iPod with 'regular' earphones? If not, to use it you'll probably need an isolated audio cable. If yes, then get a new adapter from another company and try again.

Static on the mic circuit? Shouldn't be. The only thing 'new' about the new units (compared to the pre-Pro-7) is the 7 pin wiring. With the latest ones (post Pro-7) they have the ambient noise sensor as well. I wonder if that isn't a possible issue?

The Topgear tech support person will be able to confirm or deny.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your Belkin adapter may not be isolated from ground while the Roady may be - so you might get noise from a ground loop.
Or else, perhaps your adapter is just crap and you need a better one. Do you get the same noise when you plug the Belkin into the iPod with 'regular' earphones? If not, to use it you'll probably need an isolated audio cable. If yes, then get a new adapter from another company and try again.

Static on the mic circuit? Shouldn't be. The only thing 'new' about the new units (compared to the pre-Pro-7) is the 7 pin wiring. With the latest ones (post Pro-7) they have the ambient noise sensor as well. I wonder if that isn't a possible issue?

The Topgear tech support person will be able to confirm or deny.
Thanks, Bram, the odd part is the Belkin adapter works fine in both my cars, and the Goldwing, and I'm using a ground loop isolator. I have to agree, though, it's time to try a different adapter.

Is Topgear the Autocom distributor? Autocomamerica is my next call.

Cheers, appreciate the input,

M

I had the same issue with my AutoCom Pro7. Unfortunately their only advice was to connect direct to battery. Hello? That's how I told them I had it hooked up. Follow-up got me no new responses. Fortunately it works great on the 9V battery and rechargeable 9V's are available.

Kieth would prolly be better to call than Autocom. I've been on the phone with Autocom a lot lately..and theyre "tech" group seems to consist of one guy who reads in the manual on what to do. Not much help for me. Kieths number is 918-446-2245. Really good with adapters/wiring issues etc.- he's helped a lot of people on this forum including me.

Kieth would prolly be better to call than Autocom. I've been on the phone with Autocom a lot lately..and theyre "tech" group seems to consist of one guy who reads in the manual on what to do. Not much help for me. Kieths number is 918-446-2245. Really good with adapters/wiring issues etc.- he's helped a lot of people on this forum including me.
Good suggestion. He was going to be my next call..I got the unit from him. Autocomamerica was usual totally befuddled by my problem.

I've had such bad luck with their support I found the name and email address of the president of the company in England and wrote suggesting he get a new distributor. He offered me a new unit...I didn't want a new unit, I wanted support.

Ah, well, I'll keep at it. Took almost a year to get the Goldwing system sorted.

Yep I'm in the same boat. Their "tech" support was/is comical. For $600 when its all said and done...I'd like some support to get it to work correctly. My questions aren't that difficult if you actually knew something about the unit. Now days its just difficult to find someone in a company that actually knows their stuff...speaking of, i need to call DirecTV tomorrow. You'd think there'd be some competition for these things, what does the UK make that someone else doesn't make better?

If your buzz goes away when you run the Ipod on batteries, then the problem is MOST DEFINETLY a ground loop that has formed between the power adapter, Ipod, and Autocom.

You mentioned something about a small amplifier, but don't say how it is hooked up or powered. This amplifier could also be the source of the ground loop. You may need two ground loop isolators, one between the Ipod and amp, and one between the amp and Autocom.

Ground loops will many times form when the ground of the audio amps in the source are physically connected to the same ground plane as the bikes alternator. This happens when you plug in a cig lighter power adapter to the Ipod, as now the Ipod is connected to the bikes ground through the adapter. This causes a ground loop that forms from the Ipod, through the audio cable, and back to the Autocom.

Some (very few) power adapters are isolated to prevent this, but most aren't. The easy solution is to transformer isolate the audio signal between the source and the Autocom. This is what the ground loop isolator does. It is not a filter, but simply a transformer that prevents a DC current ground loop from forming, as the transformer will only pass the audio (AC) signal and blocks all DC.

If you have any questions, contact me off-line, I would be glad to help in any way I can and I am very familiar with Autocom equipment and the Super Pro Avi unit you have.

If your buzz goes away when you run the Ipod on batteries, then the problem is MOST DEFINETLY a ground loop that has formed between the power adapter, Ipod, and Autocom.
You mentioned something about a small amplifier, but don't say how it is hooked up or powered. This amplifier could also be the source of the ground loop. You may need two ground loop isolators, one between the Ipod and amp, and one between the amp and Autocom.

Ground loops will many times form when the ground of the audio amps in the source are physically connected to the same ground plane as the bikes alternator. This happens when you plug in a cig lighter power adapter to the Ipod, as now the Ipod is connected to the bikes ground through the adapter. This causes a ground loop that forms from the Ipod, through the audio cable, and back to the Autocom.

Some (very few) power adapters are isolated to prevent this, but most aren't. The easy solution is to transformer isolate the audio signal between the source and the Autocom. This is what the ground loop isolator does. It is not a filter, but simply a transformer that prevents a DC current ground loop from forming, as the transformer will only pass the audio (AC) signal and blocks all DC.

If you have any questions, contact me off-line, I would be glad to help in any way I can and I am very familiar with Autocom equipment and the Super Pro Avi unit you have.

Fred, you're exactly right, of course...except the unit I have is the Active Plus...just not quite as deluxe. I've got a ground loop isolator hooked directly into the Autocom input, with the little amp connnected to the isolator, and the ipod lead connected to the amp.

What's so frustrating is that the XM, using the exact same connection, running off the cubby adapter, does NOT have the noise.

On a side note, another annoyance is that all these gizmos connect via 3.5mm mini jacks, and I'm not proficient enough to dispense with the connections and solder them. Two connections in particular were giving me fits, not fitting tightly. So yesterday I used some super glue to butt them together without getting glue on the connections themselves. Fixed it.

I had problems with my music and engine noise too. Here's what i noticed: my wires from autocom were crossing over the ground wires and also touching the frame of the bike. When I moved the autocom wires off of them, everything is now quiet and my music works properly too. It was weird and it was really, really annoying. Now it's great.

Hope that helps a little.

I had problems with my music and engine noise too. Here's what i noticed: my wires from autocom were crossing over the ground wires and also touching the frame of the bike. When I moved the autocom wires off of them, everything is now quiet and my music works properly too. It was weird and it was really, really annoying. Now it's great.Hope that helps a little.
I bet that'll help a lot. I'm of the "make sure the wires look just like a nest of snakes" do-it-yourself school. I'll try isolating them all.

It may be a few weeks before I am able to even test it, and the other suggestions, but thanks to all who've taken the time to give this your time and attention.