aux fuel cells

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
got one of Dean Tanji's cell, article # 6 on my 05 FJR "BlueJay" As I always ride solo, it stays installed at all times.

Don't remember deleting myself. Anyway, I have a Bill McAvan cell on the bike now.

I've got one, and I'm in the process of designing a new custom one that should hold approx. 4.78 gallons.
So what you got planned? Are you doing the manufacturing yourself? I might be tempted if you got some unobtainium bling going on!

Last edited by a moderator:
'Approximately' 4.78 gals.? :rolf: AND you'll have these ready to sell 'about' on Feb. 4th 2006 at 0906 hrs.? ;) (Sorry, couldn't resist!)

I'm actually waiting for one of our resident fabrication gurus to come up with a 'gas in frame' aux. tank mod.; now you're talking stealth! Nah, then Buell would want in on the action!

Last edited by a moderator:
So what you got planned? Are you doing the manufacturing yourself? I might be tempted if you got some unobtainium bling going on!
Well, I haven't been real happy with my current setup since I got it. I decided to look around online at what others have done for aux fuel cells. There seem to be alot of different people doing alot of different things. What I kind of decided to do was take aspects of alot of these and combine them into my ideal cell. For example I love the fact that the Dean Tanji cell can be easily removed with the use of only one bolt. I don't like the fact that you have to remove your passenger grab rail/rear rack in order for it to work. I don't think I'll be able to make one quite that easy to remove and install, but I'm hoping for something that doesn't take 20 minutes to install either.

I'm not doing any of the manufacturing myself. I like to tinker and can make a few simple things, but there is no way I can make this. I'm making the cardboard and wood mock-ups myself though. The fuel cell frame is going to be built by a friend of mine who used to weld for a living. The fuel cell itself is still up in the air. I know of two local shops that I need to talk to and see if they can build this for me.

I'll let you know if I'm successful. I'm hoping to have a full mock up done this weekend, and possibly have the mounting system done in another week. I'm going to wait on the cell until I have the mounting system situated first. This may make me change the design and shape of my cell. If all goes well I may have a cell ready to install in a few weeks. If not, its back to the old drawing board!

'Approximately' 4.78 gals.? lol.gif AND you'll have these ready to sell 'about' on Feb. 4th 2006 at 0906 hrs.? wink.gif (Sorry, couldn't resist!)
No, I probably wont be getting into the fuel cell market with this. This is more to fill my needs and requirements.

Before making your own mounting system, have you considered buying a Givi rack ? They're about $100 or so and a fine platform for an aux tank.

I designed my tank and had the local tank shop weld it up for me. I'm thinking of trying it again but making it a lower profile but a bit longer fore & aft so it holds the same amount.

https://www.ldrider.ca/fjrstuff/fuelcell/fuelcell.htm

So what you got planned?  Are you doing the manufacturing yourself?  I might be tempted if you got some unobtainium bling going on!
Well, I haven't been real happy with my current setup since I got it. I decided to look around online at what others have done for aux fuel cells. There seem to be alot of different people doing alot of different things. What I kind of decided to do was take aspects of alot of these and combine them into my ideal cell. For example I love the fact that the Dean Tanji cell can be easily removed with the use of only one bolt. I don't like the fact that you have to remove your passenger grab rail/rear rack in order for it to work. I don't think I'll be able to make one quite that easy to remove and install, but I'm hoping for something that doesn't take 20 minutes to install either.

I'm not doing any of the manufacturing myself. I like to tinker and can make a few simple things, but there is no way I can make this. I'm making the cardboard and wood mock-ups myself though. The fuel cell frame is going to be built by a friend of mine who used to weld for a living. The fuel cell itself is still up in the air. I know of two local shops that I need to talk to and see if they can build this for me.

I'll let you know if I'm successful. I'm hoping to have a full mock up done this weekend, and possibly have the mounting system done in another week. I'm going to wait on the cell until I have the mounting system situated first. This may make me change the design and shape of my cell. If all goes well I may have a cell ready to install in a few weeks. If not, its back to the old drawing board!

'Approximately' 4.78 gals.? lol.gif AND you'll have these ready to sell 'about' on Feb. 4th 2006 at 0906 hrs.? wink.gif (Sorry, couldn't resist!)
No, I probably wont be getting into the fuel cell market with this. This is more to fill my needs and requirements.
If your at all interested, if you want to do all the design work to the point of it being ready for manufacturing, and would like to share your design with me, in return I am willing to offer my services to you to get all the aluminum fabricated ready for welding. I also have the capability to turn your concept into a full blown 3D solid model using 'SoldWorks'. At this point, if desired, any changes can be made on the fly with ease. SolidWorks is the 'cats meow' trust me. The advantage of designing in SolidWorks, is that I can manipulate the basic design to be a little easier on the eye with curves etc vs. straight cuts that are typical of sheetmetal fabricators.

Before everything gets machined, I will supply you with a 3d model that you can look at/rotate/section/measure/etc to make sure it all looks good.

Think of it as I buy all the aluminum at cost, we split the price of it and all other components required and I eat the machining cost for the both of us, to offset your time into development. Since I do not offer welding services at my company, we would have to source this somewhere else and split the tab for that also.

Sound like something you might be interested in?

Tell me why you all think that a big fuel cell is a good idea? Frankly, by the time my tank is low, I'm plenty ready to get off, shake my ass and walk around a bit, while refueling. Is it for convenience, or for long hauls...?

Years ago, I used a couple of 2 liter sized white gas containers (used by hikers and climbers) for some emergency fuel and carried them in my bags. Even used them for some very long and back country dirt riding in the Alberta Rockies. I still have these fuel bottles and would use them if I felt the need.

No challenge here... just curious.

Tell me why you all think that a big fuel cell is a good idea? Frankly, by the time my tank is low, I'm plenty ready to get off, shake my ass and walk around a bit, while refueling. Is it for convenience, or for long hauls...?
Years ago, I used a couple of 2 liter sized white gas containers (used by hikers and climbers) for some emergency fuel and carried them in my bags. Even used them for some very long and back country dirt riding in the Alberta Rockies. I still have these fuel bottles and would use them if I felt the need.

No challenge here... just curious.
With a good custom seat its easier to ride longer between stops and if you are doing a long ride or a rally less fuel stops mean less waited time.

I can't speak for other's motives but I've had an aux tank on my Connie and now on my FJR. I like to stop when it's convenient for me. When I'm doing an IBA ride, I want to get maximum mileage before stopping or at least ride until my bladder says "stop" not my tank. You bike may have a 250 range but you may be in the middle of nowhere when you hit the 250 mile mark so you stop at something way short. Now, I usually go past that mark by a fair shot.

When I did my TransCanada Gold & TC Quest, I would leave at 2AM. When you're in the middle of nowhere, it sure is reassuring to know that you can ride until gas stations open as some small towns don't alway stay open 24 hours.

Now, even on vacation rides, I get used to the extra range and just use it when it suits me knowing that it's there. If the next gas stop turns out to be one of those dirt lot no-name types, I just keep going until I find something a little more sanitary looking.

My tank is like so many other conveniences. It takes very little time to grow accustomed to it and when it's taken away, you really, really miss it.

Before making your own mounting system, have you considered buying a Givi rack ? They're about $100 or so and a fine platform for an aux tank.
I designed my tank and had the local tank shop weld it up for me. I'm thinking of trying it again but making it a lower profile but a bit longer fore & aft so it holds the same amount.

https://www.ldrider.ca/fjrstuff/fuelcell/fuelcell.htm
I've seen your fuel cell setup, but it wouldnt work for my needs. Usually if I'm running with my fuel cell, I'm also running with a topcase. My needs for a fuel cell are mainly for doing IBA rides and endurance rally's. During some of the IBA rides I could do without the topcase, but if I'm heading to a rally, I'm going to be carrying more gear specifically for the rally. Mounting it in the passenger seat area is the best option for me.

If your at all interested, if you want to do all the design work to the point of it being ready for manufacturing, and would like to share your design with me, in return I am willing to offer my services to you to get all the aluminum fabricated ready for welding. I also have the capability to turn your concept into a full blown 3D solid model using 'SoldWorks'. At this point, if desired, any changes can be made on the fly with ease. SolidWorks is the 'cats meow' trust me. The advantage of designing in SolidWorks, is that I can manipulate the basic design to be a little easier on the eye with curves etc vs. straight cuts that are typical of sheetmetal fabricators.
Before everything gets machined, I will supply you with a 3d model that you can look at/rotate/section/measure/etc to make sure it all looks good.

Think of it as I buy all the aluminum at cost, we split the price of it and all other components required and I eat the machining cost for the both of us, to offset your time into development. Since I do not offer welding services at my company, we would have to source this somewhere else and split the tab for that also.

Sound like something you might be interested in?
That sounds like a good idea to me! I've heard of Solid Works and have seen it in action. A good friend of mine used have a small machine shop that specialized in plastic parts. I would to go over and hang out at his shop and he showed me some of the stuff he came up with on Solid Works. Very cool program! One question, can it calculate the internal volume of the cell? I just want to be sure we don't go over that 11.5 gallon limit, you know.

Right now my design has been 'crude' (to put it lightly) because I have been working with the thought of my friend making it. If we can machine a few parts of it, this should work out even better! I'll PM you my email address and we can work on this off-board.

To me a good aux tank would have/be:

Safe-replaces the pass seat, for weight dist and safety (4 gals of explosive hanging off the ass end would make me nervous)

Strength-real cell type construction, hvy gauge alum with a bladder if possible.

Convenience-quick disconnects for fuel interface, easy on easy off mounting.

Style-replacing the pass seat would offer opportunity for backrest-a fuel container along the lines of that obscenely expensive Corbin thingy. A fuel cell that doesn't look like a fuel cell.

One question, can it calculate the internal volume of the cell?  I just want to be sure we don't go over that 11.5 gallon limit, you know.
It sure can.