Auxiliary Cell Design

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do use a pump and like that system, butt I know many prefer not to run them that way.
Me too. Gravity feed on uphills with FJR's sucks. No pun intended.
whistle.gif
I was having issues in hot weather. It would feed OK first thing in the morning, but not after that. I added a Facet/Purolater pump and it's been reliable for many yrs and miles.

In the last week (eight days), I've had three people ask if I was still making tanks.
My answer to each has been some version of this:

• From time to time, someone contacts me asking about tanks. If there is sufficient interest, I coordinate another short production run.
  • I recently built a relationship with a different fabrication shop for another project.
  • I sent them drawings of my tank, and they suggested a change in material from aluminum to stainless.
So, since this is the "Auxiliary Cell Design" thread, and material selection is a design parameter, I'll share what I learn. (after I meet with the fabricators to discuss this in more detail.)

Cost is also a design parameter. If cost is MOST important to you, please start a tread about available off-the-shelf options. You are not interested in design, you are interested in shopping. They are not the same thing,

Last edited by a moderator:
Well... That was anticlimactic. I met with the fab shop this afternoon. I brought my tank, my CAD files and I assumed we were going to be discussing stainless steel. But, once he had the tank in his hands, his reaction was "Oh. That seems pretty straight forward, nothing too complicated..."

So, the design won't change. I asked him to quote the cost to build 3, 5 and 10. He said he would probably have time to get me the numbers tomorrow.

Aluminum requires more welding skill. So, from the fabricator's perspective it's a more challenging material.

Steel of the same strength is thinner, but also heavier and I would have needed to re-model the tanks for the thinner material. So, I'm glad he was unfazed.

If I had to re-model these for the material change, I probably would have chucked the current design and opted for a two part solution, seat replacing rack with tank.

I had no idea where the time for that was going to come from, so the whole thing probably would have come to a screeching halt.

Aluminum requires more welding skill. So, from the fabricator's perspective it's a more challenging material.Steel of the same strength is thinner, but also heavier and I would have needed to re-model the tanks for the thinner material. So, I'm glad he was unfazed.

If I had to re-model these for the material change, I probably would have chucked the current design and opted for a two part solution, seat replacing rack with tank.

I had no idea where the time for that was going to come from, so the whole thing probably would have come to a screeching halt.
Ahh, thanks for the info.

I now have two of your tanks! The original one from 'back in the day' and one from somewhere not sure! Oh, Jim Saul.

2006 and 2013 FJR's.

The orig tank I had the baffles removed and used tank foam.

Didn't think about with cell foam, harder to transfer gas to stranded rider.

I gotta say this, my friend.

I've beat the living shit outta your tanks and they just freaking work!

Bought a MaplesFarkle tank.. didn't like it as well as your design. Still have it and for sale.

MF top case too small. Won't hold $$ helmet.

For a full blown rally dude, not taking helmet off too often, I can see the attraction of a Tanji-styled tank e.g. MF.

But for every day riding, or touring, having a larger top box AND one more horizontal surface for a bag, e.g. TagAlong tank, is better, IMHO!

Great to hear you're still kicking.

Give me call if you have my number or PM me with yours!

Don

Well... That was anticlimactic. I met with the fab shop this afternoon. I brought my tank, my CAD files and I assumed we were going to be discussing stainless steel. But, once he had the tank in his hands, his reaction was "Oh. That seems pretty straight forward, nothing too complicated..."
So, the design won't change. I asked him to quote the cost to build 3, 5 and 10. He said he would probably have time to get me the numbers tomorrow.
Looking forward to hearing more.

Joe,
I have only used gravity to feed your tanks on my bikes (and now one of my brother's). Typically I don't open the valve on the TAT until my low fuel odo kicks in. I have never ran out of fuel or stalled while transferring fuel and riding at rally pace using this method. Could the flow be faster? Yes. I don't remember the specs on the ID of your fittings but I believe it didn't matter as the bottleneck was still the inline quick disconnect valve that I was using. As far as room for a larger fitting, I don't think there is anymore room to go below the TAT. I can double check late tonight, if you need me to.

Corey

PS My grab rail bushing issue was because I am using the Stiffy Kit under your TAT. They are not compatible without some minor modifications.
May I ask what modification you made regarding the stiffy kit?

Thanks

TJ

I have a faint recollection of discussing this with 01VFR. Plus, I PMed garauld via FJR Owners forum.
Check the thread over there and see if you question is adequately answered.