auxillary turn signals

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wonderdawg

Reaction score
I just wanted to know if anyone else had tried attaching turn signals to the hardsided cases that come with the bike? If you were able to do so, how did you do it?

Regards,

W. D.

Not easy to do on the FJR, but a few around here have done it and documented it. Look at this as an opportunity to expand your searching skills! :D

I've done this before...mainly on my GL1100 classic Goldwing

Would work fine if you want to go there on the FJR

The biggest decision is "are you OK with make it more difficult to take the side bags off"

Wires have have to get to the inside of the bag...sure, you put a two prong connector where

the wire leaves the bag before it goes under the seat...but there you are

you could either replace the side reflectors or put something like theses on top of them

they attach with sticky tape on the back...I had no issues with them not staying put

something like this (I would only go the led route)

https://www.jcwhitney.com/led-marker-lights/p2003411.jcwx?filterid=j1

drill an appropriate hold where the wires come out the light all the way through to the inside of the bag

run 2 element wire from the light around the bag and through a hole on the inner most wall of the bag

you need enough slack that opening the bag will not pull on the wire...I'd run it where along strap that keeps the bag horizontal.

the wire can be very small gauge...where ever the wire runs along the wall of the bag, you tape it to the wall with electrical tape

attach a two prong connector to the wire coming out the bag...use something kinda big and and easy plug in, plug out if you remove the bags often

I virtually never remove the bags for riding...only for cleaning the bike (twice a year!!!) or trailering (to the shop).

run wire to under the seat...add a opposite connector where the wire sticks out from under the seat

check this thread out for led strips on mirrors which parallel what you want to do, just the lights themselves and the wiring placement is diff

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=124646

check my post #14 which is the cool "wig wag" option

the lights are on as running lights, but when the turn signals are operated, they blink opposite the stock signals in a wig wag fashion

very cool and I'm no electrial tech...but with good instructions, I can handle a step by step procedure and I've taught myself

to solder, crimp...and my favorite connector, posi locks which are the bomb and my forever chosen electrical connector

the thread is exactly what I did on my Feej which I think is a better solution that hard bag lights

(thanx Sac Mike who's thread led me to do his mod)

it's a good excuse to go with FZ1 mirrors on your superior Gen I (I have an '04)

my strips can be seen from all angles of the mirrors...front, back, and side

a local feej of mine said, in the fog, those amber strips wide on the mirrors were the first thing he saw coming up behind me

and he knew it was me because if have the most lights on the bike of anyone

check it out and hope that helps and is something good to think about

Ride Safe,

Mike in Nawlins'

mholiver at patriotguard dot org

(I don't use PM's)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you both very much. I agree with alot of what you wrote here. In the end I may end up doing the modification in a different way. I am thinking to add the little LED faubs on either side of the rear reflector just below the license plate. That way it will be very vissible from the left, right or rear. Again thanks for the input.

Regards,

W. D.

<_<

Thank you both very much. I agree with alot of what you wrote here. In the end I may end up doing the modification in a different way. I am thinking to add the little LED faubs on either side of the rear reflector just below the license plate. That way it will be very vissible from the left, right or rear. Again thanks for the input.

Regards,

W. D.

<_<
Hyperlites are the bomb

3639659031_6a5d74ee7f_z.jpg

Try Admore lighting, I believe on the front page of their website you will see what you want. I use the kit that installed in the Givi trunk.

I just wanted to know if anyone else had tried attaching turn signals to the hardsided cases that come with the bike? If you were able to do so, how did you do it?

Regards,

W. D.
When I think of auxiliary turn signals, I think higher and wider is better. The side cases hit the mark on wider but miss wide (pardon the pun) on higher. And then there is the wiring/connection issue. If it were me, I'd be thinking mirrors. There are several options... directional arrows ala late model cars/trucks/SUVs... or, if you don't want to give up mirror real estate, go led strip (cascading is cool) on the mirror housing.

Last edited by a moderator: