Barkbusters

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Lumberg

Merica
Reaction score
For those that have installed barkbusters, do you have your bars relocated via heli, MCL, or other products? Have you had issues with clearance between the barkbusters and the tank? I am convinced that barkbusters would be money well spent, since I ride a lot in cold weather, but I'm concerned that they'd hit my tank.

I have a 2008 with the MV risers and the barkbuster Blizzard handguards. They don't touch the tank that I know of. Would only be in the tightest of turns (think parking space maneuvers) and then they are soft, so not an issue if they do touch. Mine do touch the Yam Touring windshield in very tight turning. Never a problem. I think they help a lot, easy to install and remove, and don't look bad. I also use a kaoko throttle lock and can still use that with the handguards on.

--Kevin

Are the Blizzard "muffs" large enough to provide access to the Gen3 cruise and info screen controls on the left handgrip?

I have a pair of Oxford Bone Dry's on my 06 and they work like a hot damm. Being in Vancouver (BC), and riding year round, these things are awsome.Completely waterproof (something of a requirement when you live in a rain foreast), lots of room inside, and great at eliminating the wind. I ride daily, and have only had the bike off the road one day this year. I am still using my light summer gloves as my hands never get that cold. Of course I also have heated grips.. :) And they won't scratch the tank.

Are the Blizzard "muffs" large enough to provide access to the Gen3 cruise and info screen controls on the left handgrip?
Yes. I have a set of these and in terms of enclosure they're kind of halfway between the typical hand guards and full hand muffs. You have full access and visibility to the handlebar controls.

I've tried a number of things and these are where I've settled.

For those that have installed barkbusters, do you have your bars relocated via heli, MCL, or other products? Have you had issues with clearance between the barkbusters and the tank? I am convinced that barkbusters would be money well spent, since I ride a lot in cold weather, but I'm concerned that they'd hit my tank.
I have the Vstrom Handguards installed on my 3rd Gen.

100_4779.jpg

Yes, you do need to have some sort of bar risers installed to use the Vstrom hand guards or they will foul against the two "boobs" that stick out from the third gen on either side of the dash (can see one of the boobs just under my mirror above).

I would suspect that any hand guard that sits in front of the rider's hands with enough space to actually get your hand in there would have similar interference issues.

There is no interference with the gas tank or my (fairly large) Bags Connection City Evo tank bag with this configuration.

Last edited by a moderator: