Barnett Clutch Springs - Reduce Lever Pull

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John_Dumke

Reaction score
This is an FYI for the Barnett Clutch Plate diaphragm replacement. Quite a few year ago I swapped out the stock diaphragm style clutch springs with the Barnett product.

511-90-10033_th.jpg

This was to produce a more linear engagement. However, I found the clutch pull way too stiff and have just lived with it.

I finally got around to doing some maintenance on the old girl and called Barnett to see if they sold softer springs. They did have a spring that was 25% softer. PN#306-90-10073. The lever pull is now lighter. Still maybe not quite as light as stock, but way more inline with what "should be" normal. I don't see any reason why the clutch springs were as stiff as originally supplied. I did replace both the metal and friction plates with the Barnett products and the clutch engagement is quite decent.

I ran one of those on my old 2003.  Beautiful piece of work.  Great for pulling wheelies :)

I have to disagree on the clutch pull, mine was definitely heavier but I didn’t find it an issue.  They may have gone with lighter springs.

Canadian FJR

At this point in time, if you want a lighter lever pull without reduced clutch friction, the way to go is probably to upgrade to the 2016+ slipper clutch configuration.  It is a “cake and eat it too” situation where the lever pull is lighter than stock, and the clutch friction actually increases proportionally with the engine torque applied due to the ramps in the clutch hub.  I’ve been running mine for several years now, and for the $300 in parts and my own labor I’ve been very satisfied with the improvement.  Initially after install I was somewhat less enthusiastic, but as the parts have “worn in” it has become even smoother.  I can recommend the upgrade more strongly now than when I first tried it.

It might be possible to sand or polish those ramp surfaces carefully prior to install to negate the break-in period.  I didn’t do that, And like I said mine is fine now, but it shouldn’t be all that hard to do, and probably wouldn’t hurt