Battery

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kiki

Reaction score
For all the new FJR guys ( like myself) -- the battery is in the same place as Ducatis -- uo under the right side fairing. What a place!!

This bike is not so easy to work on.

For all the new FJR guys ( like myself) -- the battery is in the same place as Ducatis -- uo under the right side fairing. What a place!!This bike is not so easy to work on.
You'll learn to have a good radio, CD or MP3 player in your garage and not start a project until it's turned onto a good song and you're ready to remove lots of &*%^#! plastic.

No kidding....I spend more time removing tupperware than actually working on the bike most of the time....I am used to cruisers like my shadow where everything is exposed.

It's OK though b/c all if forgiven when I get back on it to take it out for a test drive.

I hear ya. My bike fell on my trailer so I had to replace the upper right blue panel. You have to take off quite a bit. By the time I was done, every blue panel in front of the gas tank was off.. Ugh. 2 hours to get everything back on.

Definitely need good tunes.

Reaching the battery is kind of a PITA, but not too bad, since you only have to remove the black C and D panels.

Go to FJRTech.com for the correct order and easiest way to remove and reinstall these panels. You will find a great how-to under "Removing FJR Dash Panels".

Last edited by a moderator:
Under the R/S fairing isn't so bad, on the FZ6 and some others you have to take off plastic and then lift the fuel tank...

This bike is not so easy to work on.
You know, I've had the bike over two years now and never had to remove the battery. Even when I removed headlight assembly once I didn't even touch it. Seems easy to me with just a bit of practice of removing two or sometimes four panels and rarely having to remove the lower fairing pieces.

I find the lower fairing isn't so bad. Saturday I replaced the left upper peice and the box. I think it was 2 hours from start to finish. ..... and just one leftover screw. I think I know where it goes and I'll put it back on in the spring. I saw my extra wiring that I put in two years ago and I figure it is time to make it look nicer under there with less wires sticking out.

Just the two black panels on the right side are needed to remove the battery, did that last spring.

Good tunes and a postive mind does wonders.

You're complaining about battery access on the FJR? I can see you've never owned a BMW. On the FJR, a couple screws and a plastic rivet and you're there. On my BMW, it's an easy 45 minutes (after practice - figure an hour and a half the first time) involving 25 or so fasteners, almost all the plastic on the bike, the air snorkel, and raising the gas tank.

- Mark

Hi,

Just went to fjrtech.com to see how to remove the panels, but those pics are for a pre-06. My 06 has a different setup.

Tried to get panel A off (guessing from fjrtech.com, they have renamed the panels. Now the right side panel on top of the battery is panel A apparently). It was a pain in the ass! Trying to get three panels lined up so that you can get a screw back in is tough. And, I never did get that damn plastic quick screw thing back in. Can't get it lined up.

However, when I was in there, I discovered that my dealer left out a few screws. I've only had the bike for 6 weeks and have just now started to look much closer at some of these types of things. The screw that holds the battery brace was missing the brace was just swinging around. There is also a screw missing from the front next to the air vent. I guess the dealer had a tough time getting all the plastic back together too! God...

Steve

For all the new FJR guys ( like myself) -- the battery is in the same place as Ducatis -- uo under the right side fairing. What a place!!This bike is not so easy to work on.
I had the same problem at first, spent 1/2 a day installing a powerlet and connections for the radar and GPS, the wiring was easy, the plastic was a PITA.

Then I took my wife to the Stealer at the 600 mile first service and she made friends with the service manager's wife Courtney, who worked the service desk. From then on they charged me 1/2 of what the "book" said for labor, as long as I took my wife to socialize with Courtney so they could talk about girl stuff. So dropping off the bike took 1 hour instead of 10 minutes, I didn't care because Courtney was friendly and easy on the eyes :) Ya just gotta know how to work the situation.

The Yama-monkeys at the Stealer I used could pull all the plastic and re-install it in 30 minutes, that's what they charged me when I had them install my holeshot header system...The full install cost $100.00 and my bike was at the shop for 3 hours.

BB III

Just went to fjrtech.com to see how to remove the panels, but those pics are for a pre-06. My 06 has a different setup.
Steve, Sounds like a good project for you. Detail the dissassembly, take lots of pictures, I'll host the page on FJR-Tips (with all proper credit, of course).

I knew us old timers could depend on the new owners stepping to the plate with updated info for the redesigned model(s).

Doah! Why's it always me who seems to get suckered into these things?! :huh:

I'll see what I can do, but for right now I'm a bit gunshy about taking it off again.

Doah! Why's it always me who seems to get suckered into these things?! :huh:
I'll see what I can do, but for right now I'm a bit gunshy about taking it off again.
I'm hoping you mean the plastic? If not, send the pictures to ODOT first. :lol:

Hi,
Having had both an 04' and an 06', I've got to tell you that the 06' is a walk in the park compared to earlier models

Hi,

Having had both an 04' and an 06', I've got to tell you that the 06' is a walk in the park compared to earlier models
Yes it is !!! The panel at the glove box is a piece of cake now compared to Gen 1 !! There's a ton of room under there if you don't have the AE model ! :yahoo: There's nothing under it. :D

Another great reason for a good fuse block.
Hey Bikeeffects;

Stupid question here but If I installed the Blue Sea PD unit. Good I then attach my battery tender to the ground and power of the PD block to charge the battery rather than having to install the BT leads to the battery directly?

thanks