Beamer Reamer and Mrs. hit a forest rat

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This event redefines for me what capabilities I should learn when encountering emergencies during group riding.

I get info overload and short circuit easily, so I've got work to do.

EDIT: Glad you two are alive and able to mend...wish ALL the rat bastards just hung out in some isolated forest away from roads.

Last edited by a moderator:
This event redefines for me what capabilities I should learn when encountering emergencies during group riding.
I get info overload and short circuit easily, so I've got work to do.

EDIT: Glad you two are alive and able to mend...wish ALL the rat bastards just hung out in some isolated forest away from roads.

Wheatie, if it had not been for all of the training that I went through in the Navy for operating a nuclear power plant and the constant drilling for disasters and causlties (such as fire, flooding, etc..), I would have done the same as you. But my training kicked in big time, and as trained, you focus on carrying out the immediate actions to a stability point. Then you reveiw and make sure you didn't miss anything and then start taking care of the supplementry actions and needs.

My point, it is something that if you play out various scenerios in your head and talk them through, you will be amazed how closely you will follow those actions that you have pre-determined to be done. It makes the response more automatic and less a thinking and panic game.

It took me until Tuesday night after that accident to fully decompress and realize fully what I had been through. Probably my minds way of coping with the situation.

We should all be allowed to shoot at least 5 rat bastards a month. :vinsent: :trinibob: :trinibob:

Wow, what a story, thanks for the update. I am still amazed that Bryan was able to get you to shore all by himself...and if your temperature dropped to 85 in that short of time you wouldn't have lasted very long in the river even if you could have floated for miles.
Do you still want to do a Canadian ride to Watson Lake?

Well, heck yeah. Just missing a bike and a little energy. My goal oriented self is planning to try and make the Vancouver Island shindig in September but not sure Watson Lake is still in the running this year. Just need to see what the next 60 days bring. Pretty sure I can get a replacement bike with an insurance payout, not so sure it will cover much of the farkling. I did find my exact replacement bike locally (07 AE) with 1300 miles on it, might give a call and start working on the price.

Will definitely be done with a small group though so stay tuned.

Wow, what a story, thanks for the update. I am still amazed that Bryan was able to get you to shore all by himself...and if your temperature dropped to 85 in that short of time you wouldn't have lasted very long in the river even if you could have floated for miles.
Do you still want to do a Canadian ride to Watson Lake?

Well, heck yeah. Just missing a bike and a little energy. My goal oriented self is planning to try and make the Vancouver Island shindig in September but not sure Watson Lake is still in the running this year. Just need to see what the next 60 days bring. Pretty sure I can get a replacement bike with an insurance payout, not so sure it will cover much of the farkling. I did find my exact replacement bike locally (07 AE) with 1300 miles on it, might give a call and start working on the price.

Will definitely be done with a small group though so stay tuned.
When I said Canadian ride to Watson Lake, I was actually talking about next year...but if you can make it to Barb's ride this year that would really be cool. I have a spare FJR you could ride but its one of the old tech models, do you know how to ride a stick shift?

Wow! That was compelling reading. As I sit here safely, in my comfy chair with a nice cold glass of something good to hand, I'm near speechless. The part that got me the most is the thought of you both in the water, not knowing each other's fate. Thank goodness for all the guardian angels that were pulling for you, for your cool headedness, your training etc.

Thank you for sharing. It can't have been easy to relive those memories over again.

BR,

All I can say is:

Wow. Wow. Wow.

It is really quite surreal (and great!) that you have both come through such an incredible ordeal. I know that it is pretty hard to believe that getting wiped out by a forest rat is good luck, but in this case at least, all of the pieces seem to have fallen exactly into place as needed to allow your survival. You obviously did all that could be done, etc. And your friends... You clearly have some good karma on your side.

In a prior post, I mentioned keeping the bike straight and upright when striking deer to improve survival, but that obviously can't apply when one is completely unaware of the impending blind side by the dirty ruminant. I still think the advice is good (should one be in a situation where they have the chancve to think even for a split second) but being sucker punched by Bambi is a different thing.

Heal up. Keep up the good humor. Take joy in your new found perspective on all things.

Someone apparently has some further designs on your future. ;)

So glad to here you both are recovering. I'll just keep praying and hope everything continues to go well for you both. I hope I can find some heroes to ride with someday.

We just walked in the door from our CFR mega-tour. So glad to hear that you've both been patched up and kept your senses of humour. Also that you're talking about your next FJR.

I had the same sort of strike but the rat allowed me to chop him in two - which evenly balanced the forces on the bike allowing us to stay up. Inches either way and we would likely have been in the toolies too...

Drinks are on me at Barb's bunfight - be well.

Pretty sure I can get a replacement bike with an insurance payout, not so sure it will cover much of the farkling. I did find my exact replacement bike locally (07 AE) with 1300 miles on it, might give a call and start working on the price.

BR - you are my new hero! Allready looking for/found a replacement!

It was great to see the pics of you arriving home on your caring bridge site....

Re-reading this again BReamer, I'm so thankful that you two had the group around that were able to react and get the job done. Keep up the healing process and good humor. You'll find a replacement bike when the time is right...there are a couple 08 AE's locally that look pretty good!

See you soon.

--G

BR, already thinking about a replacement? Personally, I love your priorities. I'd probably be doing the same.

Get healed, get strong, and then get back in the saddle.

Hope to swing by this weekend.

I'm thinkin' the "buying-drinks-line" might be a looong one, Dave.

New bike name: Bambi Assasin
Your drinks are always on me your Madness (cheap date!) but the offer that I so rashly made was supposed to be aimed at David and Colleen should they be able to join us at WCR. Looking forward to September but let's enjoy the Summer first!

Your drinks are always on me your Madness (cheap date!) but the offer that I so rashly made was supposed to be aimed at David and Colleen should they be able to join us at WCR. Looking forward to September but let's enjoy the Summer first!
Hi, my name is David, and I need free drink! Now then, where did FastJoyRide go? :whistle:

Great to hear you're both on the mend. Certainly far from over, but hopefully things will start to get better as time goes on.

Not having a dirt background, I wonder how I would've reacted getting punched off the road like that with such a nasty sounding wooded drop to attempt to negotiate!? I guarantee, most likely not as well as you did! Strong work on not getting fixated on those trees!

Prayers and positive thoughts still coming from the opposite side of the country!

CJ

Hi, my name is David, and I need free drink! Now then, where did FastJoyRide go? :whistle:
Carver-man - if you (or your twin brother David) need a free drink - I'm your Huckleberry (with apologies to Papa Chuy). Does this mean you're going to be in our fair province this September? I didn't see you on the Players list did I?

Dave, you misunderstood what I posted.

I meant the "line-to-buy-Reamers-a-drink", not the line to have YOU buy us a drink.

My thinking is that they will be well taken care of at this event......

WOW! I'm speechless. Glad you're still with us, heal quickly and well.

Had three forest rat encounters on my NoCal trip. Thank God no impact.

WOW! I'm speechless. Glad you're still with us, heal quickly and well.
Had three forest rat encounters on my NoCal trip. Thank God no impact.
Soooo, they took one look at you and RAN!!!! :rolleyes:

Maybe we should all get photos of you and tape them to the front of our bikes to ward off "close encounters". :dntknw: