Beartooth Highway Part 1

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried to do the Beartooth three years ago at about this time of year. At the beginning of the highway, just out of the northeast entrance to Yellowstone, the road was closed due to snow and freezing rain the night before. I have a picture taken at a highway rest stop a couple of miles before the barricade with 4" of fresh snow on the ground! Hope to get back there to try again pretty soon. (I did manage a nice but cool ride on the Chief Joseph - reasonable consolation prize). Looking forward to Part II.
I've hailed on in August on that road. Way worth it though - I think it ranks as one of (if not the most) scenic roads in America.

My Fiance and I Spent 4 nights in Cooke City last July. Ran the Beartooth into Red Lodge then back again, spent the rest of the time in Yellowstone and riding other roads in that area. Beautiful area. Highly recommend any of the Cafe's or coffee houses in Cooke City. Great food, coffe and people.

My Fiance and I Spent 4 nights in Cooke City last July. Ran the Beartooth into Red Lodge then back again, spent the rest of the time in Yellowstone and riding other roads in that area. Beautiful area. Highly recommend any of the Cafe's or coffee houses in Cooke City. Great food, coffee and people.

Last edited by a moderator:
We were just there last week. Sadly there was some bike thing going on. Not the motorcycle thing in Redlodge, but a bicycle thing. Probably a few THOUSAND people trying to pedal their fat asses up over Beartooth at .8 MPH from the base into Cooke City. I'm being facetious. Not everyone was fat. There were lots of hotties.

I'm all about sharing the road, but it was ridiculous... For the most part people hung to the white line, but not everyone. Certainly couldn't get our hooligan on w/o ending up on youtube.

We saw 3 Tractor Trailers, and two fricking UHauls. Who says "Let's rent a Uhaul and move our shit over Beartooth pass"?

Still a good ride though.

-MD

I was hoping Richard was going to make it to the top in Phase 1. I wanted to see if the ski lift was still running like it was when I rode the Beartooth on my way to NAFO last year.

Just added to my bucket-ride list.

U know I'm going to have to dump my g/f if I'm going to get in all these great roads n places.

the ski lift was running, it kind of surprised me as i had no idea it was there......

R

Rode it last week both ways and last September. One of my favorite rides. Think I prefer it heading to Red Lodge from Cody via the Chief Joe Highway. Anyway you ride it is fun and spectacular. Nice video!

Great video, great road.

I rode it in scattered showers a couple of years ago. I stopped at the large rest area and walked out to a lookout to take pictures.

I realized my hair was standing on end and crouched down as a lightning bolt sizzled past.

Way too close for comfort. Still, I give it a 10/10; Will ride it again.

Very cool!

What was up with the camera? Looked like the lens was fogging up or some condensation...???

I think 25 days is long enough... Where's Part 2?