Been on my FJR for two seasons

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiteflyer

Reaction score
I purchased my '10 FJR in January of 2011. Lousy time of year to buy a bike here in Idaho, but I got a smokin' deal. The first season, I spent time just getting used to the bike, riding it to work on my daily 44 mile round trip commute and finding out the capabilities of this fabulous machine. In March of '11 I took my first MSF experienced rider course and learned how to use the ABS brakes much better than I had previously. Added a pair of hand guards off of a Suzuki V-Strom and a pair of FZR mirrors. I had always been seeing my elbows with the stock mirrors, but as soon as I added the hand guards the stock mirrors were completely filled. Buy this time I had about 6K miles on the bike and needed to replace the factory Metzlers and went with a pair of Avon Storms. Winter arrived. Bike was in suspension.

At the beginning of this season, I took the MSF experienced rider course again, just to shake off any cobwebs I might have picked up over the winter. On June 3rd, I did my first SS1000, leaving from Kuna, Idaho and going west though Burns, Or., Bend, Or., Eugene, Or., Portland, Or., the back east through La Grande, Or., and finally back home to Southwest Idaho. I rode 1,034 mile in just over 18 hours. At 59 years of age, I accomplished a goal I wasn't sure I could do. I added a Bead Rider seat cover to my stock seat and bought a pair of bicycle shorts that have that padding were it's needed. My butt didn't start bothering me until I was just over a hundred miles from the end of the trip. Next year, I plan on buying a Russel All Day and riding a Bun Burner 1500 early in the summer.

In retrospect, I could not have picked a better machine my my style of riding. The FJR does everything that I ask of it and still surprises me with it's acceleration, braking and the smooth highway manners. I look forward to several more years of LD rides and more Farkleing.

Cheers,

-Paul

Another one bites the dust! Kiteflyer, you have learned what the rest of us have learned. This Bike is Amazing and it just gets Better with Time. :clapping:

I've owned my 09 now for about 2 years. Have toured throughout the eastern states and a recent trip from Florida to Kalifornica and back. It's done everything I've expected it to do and more. I've had 3 occasions to use its ABS which worked perfectly and kept me out of harms way. I travel secondary roads primarily and the bike is a dream on fun twisty roads. Truthfully I can ride lighter bikes more aggessively than the FJR on really tight roads. But for long distance comfortable riding it works for me as a very capable sport tourer.

Bill

I bought my '03 in '03 and put 75,000 trouble-free miles on it in nine seasons. Sold it this spring to my sister and brother-in-law at a big discount so they could get back into riding. So, what to replace it with? Hmmmm. I found an'05 with 21,000 miles at a reasonable price and have now put about 8,000 on that one. Just finished 1,800 miles to Seattle and back riding all the most remote country pavement. I'm still amazed at how well designed and built this bike is, how well it performs a multitude of duties. Riding two-up and fully loaded, I was getting 44-46 mpg, too! For me it is the best compromise between tour and sport. It is the best all-around bike I have owned. I am not surprised you find it to be, too.

I purchased my '10 FJR in January of 2011. Lousy time of year to buy a bike here in Idaho, but I got a smokin' deal. The first season, I spent time just getting used to the bike, riding it to work on my daily 44 mile round trip commute and finding out the capabilities of this fabulous machine. In March of '11 I took my first MSF experienced rider course and learned how to use the ABS brakes much better than I had previously. Added a pair of hand guards off of a Suzuki V-Strom and a pair of FZR mirrors. I had always been seeing my elbows with the stock mirrors, but as soon as I added the hand guards the stock mirrors were completely filled. Buy this time I had about 6K miles on the bike and needed to replace the factory Metzlers and went with a pair of Avon Storms. Winter arrived. Bike was in suspension.

At the beginning of this season, I took the MSF experienced rider course again, just to shake off any cobwebs I might have picked up over the winter. On June 3rd, I did my first SS1000, leaving from Kuna, Idaho and going west though Burns, Or., Bend, Or., Eugene, Or., Portland, Or., the back east through La Grande, Or., and finally back home to Southwest Idaho. I rode 1,034 mile in just over 18 hours. At 59 years of age, I accomplished a goal I wasn't sure I could do. I added a Bead Rider seat cover to my stock seat and bought a pair of bicycle shorts that have that padding were it's needed. My butt didn't start bothering me until I was just over a hundred miles from the end of the trip. Next year, I plan on buying a Russel All Day and riding a Bun Burner 1500 early in the summer.

In retrospect, I could not have picked a better machine my my style of riding. The FJR does everything that I ask of it and still surprises me with it's acceleration, braking and the smooth highway manners. I look forward to several more years of LD rides and more Farkleing.

Cheers,

-Paul
Barvo Kiteflyer, glad to here you're two seasons happy. After riding an R-1 for many years I decided to buy an fjr in 06 to take my SO along in a certain amout of comfort. Was a great move. I was warned that in a short amount of time I would be riding the fjr more that the R-1. Yea right! Turned out to be true. After two years I sold the R-1 and found that I could still have a ball never going over 90mph. Go figure. In WA the roads are perfect for all around riding and the fjr fits in just right. Choose your farkles carefully and enjoy.

asta, DrWing

It only gets better the more you ride it and make it your own. Treat em like a high school girlfriend, Ride the hell out of em and treat em rough. They like it that way.

Yeah, to quote the service manager at the local Yammie shop when he rode by 05, "That's one sweet running engine." There is a lot to love about these things.

Gary

darksider #44

"... truthfully I can ride lighter bikes more aggessively than the FJR on really tight roads..."

Bill
Almost forgot to post just a brief comment about this. Though I understand what you mean, it just occurred to me, "aggressive" is relative. Arguably, an FJR can be ridden as aggressively as an R1 or as a Vespa motor scooter. Once you're leaned over, hanging off the seat and the pegs are grinding, you're riding aggressively. The difference is the actual speed involved. I would argue that the fun factor is the same.

Let the bullets fly, it's the weekend.

Gary

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to hear you love your FJR as much as I do Paul!
So, he loves his FJR and much as you love Paul????

I don't think many of us knew this! 'splains a lot, Nancy. :p

gay-rainbow-flag.jpg