Best Bluetooth Helmet

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steeld

Reaction score
My Shoei Syncrotec needs replacing. I thought I'd go for a BMW System 5 helmet next so I could fit it with BMW's WCS-1 as it seems to be a really neat installation. No luck - BMW have discontinued it in order to re-launch an improved version in the second half of next year. I can't wait that long. :(

So, I want a decent flip-face helmet that is quiet and comfy and an unobtrusive Bluetooth solution to work with a mobile phone initially and a Zumo later. Any ideas?

Thanks

The Sys 5 was the only BT helmet I new of. And it was not Avail in the States. I use a cardio systems ScalaRider. Works great at 80mph with a FF helmet.

I thought about the sys 5 but $1400.00 USD to get one here black market. That is just TOO MUCH for a helmet that aint on a track.

Let me know what you find on the Sys 6?

The Nolan N-102 is supposed to come with something they call the N-Com. Cima international told me this spring that it was supposed to be avail come summer, but I haven't seen it yet. Pretty slick set up in Europe though.

Here's the manufacturer's link: https://ncom.nolan.it/Index_ENG.aspx

I read through the documentation for the system. It *may* be interesting, but you have to buy Nolan's everything to make it work.

The documentation says it is Monaural, so if you plan on using a music source you might want to keep that in mind.

This is one of my pet beefs at the moment. Bluetooth has been around for a few years now. Why are motorcycle helmet manufacturers so slow to offer workable solutions? I would have thought that with mobile phones, GPS and music that there would be a great demand for wireless communication with a helmet. Why is the motorcycle industry so behind other industries. For example, when are we going to see bikes with heated mirrors like cars have had for years or don't motorcycle mirrors frost up like car mirrors when the bike has been standing outside over a winters night?

How about the Dainese bluetooth helmet?

It has been in the states for at least a year (I saw it at a dealer in San Diego, CA late last summer '05)

The only color they had was dark grey.

I think it was about $550

I don't recall seeing a flip-up style but at least they should have had some time to work out any issues with close to a 1 year lead on the rest of the market.

Now that I have moved from San Diego to Italy (Home market for Dainese) I will keep an eye out for any new products they have over here & let you guys know if anything looks promising.

The Dainese is only available as an open face and isn't stereo. I gather from their description it uses a single ear plug.

And that's one of the rubs - most Bluetooth devices don't support stereo connections and battery life for the helmet is a potential issue. Most Bluetooth helmets are intended for communications only (not stereo music sources)

What's the point of being wireless if the system is dead after 5 hours of riding?

I'll hang onto my wired Autocom until they get it all worked out.

The Dainese is only available as an open face and isn't stereo.
I hear you on the stereo downside but I count at least 3 full face models with bluetooth on their website. The Italian site shows a flip-up.

Link to one

The one I tried on last year was a full face.

At this point I don't see bluetooth being an option for anything other than a convenient way to answer the phone. I for one don't need a phone when riding my bike. It would be nice if I didn't have to take off the helmet when I pull over to talk but...?

If they can figure out a way to pair multiple devices to a stereo bluetooth headset I might be interested. At this point I don't see a bluetooth helmet solving my wish list: (GPS, radar, music, bike to bike, bike to rider and maybe a cell phone) I don't know how you could "pair" each device to work with the headset (at the same time) without using your hands. Kind of defeats the purpose.

Something like the zumo is getting closer. I assume you pair your bluetooth phone with the zumo and then pair the zumo with your earpiece to get GPS, music & phone.

With the intaride system I believe that all functions will be handled by the comms unit I have and then all put to the helmet via the BT connection. So it will be the same as I have now but no wires. I hope this will be the case anyway. GPS, Music, phone(if required), passenger and bike to bike all comes through the one BT link.

This is one of my pet beefs at the moment. Bluetooth has been around for a few years now. Why are motorcycle helmet manufacturers so slow to offer workable solutions?

Because the first time some dumbass yuppie lawyer on a bike crashes while talking to is stock broker who has his therapist on three way, he will end up suing everyone and every thing and making life even MORE difficult for us here in the United States of Litigation. And, ya know, the FCC and the UL and everyone else has to certify everything within an inch of its useful life to get it sold by even the smallest of "legitimate" retailers these days to make sure they're not included in the law suit.

$.02

And that's one of the rubs - most Bluetooth devices don't support stereo connections and battery life for the helmet is a potential issue. Most Bluetooth helmets are intended for communications only (not stereo music sources)
What's the point of being wireless if the system is dead after 5 hours of riding?

I'll hang onto my wired Autocom until they get it all worked out.

+1 (or in my case, the Chatterbox).

I didn't think Bluetooth was capable of pushing through stereo sound, at least not BT2.0.......but, I've been wrong lots of times.

Reading the intaride blurb the bluetooth unit is for GPS/phone/music to intaride they are still showing intaride to bluetooth helmet upgrade as "coming soon" :eek:

Bluetooth supports a high quality stereo mode called A2DP. See the motorola HT820 headphone. I have a pair of these, and they sound great. The headset can be configured for A2DP or as a mono headset with mic. I would really like to see a helmet with A2DP integrated as well as adaptive noise cancelation and miking. Right now, as the standards are, you can use either the A2DP mode or the 'hands-free' mode, but can't use the A2DP mode and have a working mic. In my opinion, this sux and is dumb.

https://www.engadget.com/2005/01/08/motorol...dset-explained/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A2DP

I too, am one of those struggling for a wireless solution. Been in contact with the Liberty Wireless folks for several months. Received some promising email "promises", but their product has been "coming soon" for over a year. I would not hold my breath.

Budgeting for Zumo, but ONLY if the stereo Bluetooth problem gets worked out beforehand.

The idea I keep tossing around is why not support multiple Bluetooth outputs from the same device, i.e. Zumo? Drive one device as mono with mic, drive the second device as A2DP and simply mute the audio out on device-1? Admittedly its a bit klunky, but it would work.

Anyways, good to hear/read conversation on the subject. At least it helps me stay in the loop.

I PROMISE to share anything that I dig up. Hope everyone else feels the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Nolan with N-com. The bluetooth works really good but does not support A2DP stereo. The helmet is nice but was very pricy. Its been a while but I think close to $500.00 with the N-com components. I use the Bluetooth in conjuction with both my Zumo 550 and Phone. When making a call, people on the other end cant believe I'm on a bike doing 80mph, say I sound great. Zumo sounds clear to me but using the Zump Music player is crappy since there is no stereo support. There are 2 speakers in the helmet, just not stereo sound. If your not interested in listening to music the the Nolan Blutooth setup is very nice and having the bluetooth controls built in flush on the helmet is just kinda cool! I only have the one so havent tried the wireless intercom but have to assume it works well. Helmets are just a foot or 2 apart.

nolanbt.jpg

Vemar makes a nice looking flip-up model known as the Jiano. Battley Cycles (Gaithersburg, Md) tells me that a Bluetooth version of the Jiano should be in the store by late summer/early fall.

I run a full BT setup AND listen to steroe mp3's in my helmet. The Scala q2's have a stereo FM rec'v built in. We simply FM transmt my IPOD.

my cell phone is BT synched with my ZUMO and the ZUMO to my headset. Pillion's headset is synched to me. If she wants...she can synch her cell to her headset and get calls.

So, we can talk to each other, I can directions from the zumo, can rcv calls, dial and/or see who it is on the Zumo...all while listening to one of the 10,000 songs on my Ipod - or FM.

I could also add other rider communications, if needed.

And no wires.