Best Place to Mount a Stebel Horn?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Violione

Sir Loin of Beef
Reaction score
The wifes V-Strom had a Stebel air horn installed but she said it scarred the shit out of her every time she used it and so she won't blow the horn. She asked me to take it off her bike and I said SURE HONEY.... so I did and luckily the OEM horn was still intact on the Strom (cool).

[side Bar - I am a musician and I have a sound level meter; the stock V-Strom horn (1 round Fiamm) sounded at 98 db, the FJR's two, two tone round horns sounded at 105 db and the Stebel sounded at 109 db. for every 3 db the sound is twice as loud which means that the Stebel is twice as loud as the OEM horns on the FJR and over three times as loud as the V-Strom OEM horn.]

So back to my question; where is the best place to mount the Stebel horn on an 06 AE? And ODOT - don't even think about replying with ... up my butt! :glare: Wanker!

V.

Lotsa links throughout this thread

Course, I'm function over form kinda guy:

3302053084_01f3eae202.jpg

3302053092_b3cb32216b.jpg

3302053098_3e64bb6e25.jpg

really loud in conjunction with the Fiamm disc replacements for the stock horns

I can blow them separately or at the same time with a toggle switch and using the stock horn button

I do plan to paint all the bare metal stuff flat black soon

Cheers,

Mike in Nawlins'

I have no advice or suggestions for this particular blow job other than I just was drawn like a moth to the flame by the title of your thread. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Patriot,

Interesting mounting point. I forgot to mention, the previous owner used a 3 1/2" hose clamp to attach the Stebel to the inner frame on the Strom. How does that bolt thing work? Is that a conduit clamp? Is the bolt in the cut out/notch the is on the upper back housing of the Stebel? Sorry, I am flying blind, no instructions for the Stebel and I sure there are mounting parts missing as well, like I said, the previous owner used a 3 1/2" hose clamp to attach the Stebel to the inner frame.

Thanks,

V.

Patriot,
Interesting mounting point. I forgot to mention, the previous owner used a 3 1/2" hose clamp to attach the Stebel to the inner frame on the Strom. How does that bolt thing work? Is that a conduit clamp? Is the bolt in the cut out/notch the is on the upper back housing of the Stebel? Sorry, I am flying blind, no instructions for the Stebel and I sure there are mounting parts missing as well, like I said, the previous owner used a 3 1/2" hose clamp to attach the Stebel to the inner frame.

Thanks,

V.
Check the thread I posted and the number of threads it references

Mine is not the elegant mounting others have used, mainly replacing the existing horns and mounting the air horn in front of the radiator. Some have found a way to do so with the air horn intact ('specially on Gen II without a fork brace - I'm Gen I with a fork brace - advantage of Gen II is the curved radiator which gives some more room between the mounts, fork, and radiator).

Others have separated the compressor unit from the horn unit and mounted them separately on the stock horn brackets with a piece of hose or tubing joining them.

I have TOG's which are Tip Over Guards bolted through the Gen I plastic into the frame where bolts attached the plastic to the frame. Like sliders, but not at all robust (sliders use engine mounting bolt attachment, TOG go into the frame).

The bracket is nothing more than a scrap piece of metal bent at a 90degree angle. I used a FJRandy horn harness for the stock replacement horns (dual horn harness) and a Eastern Beaver single horn harness for the air horn.

The mount that comes with the air horn is a "U" shaped half hole on the horn that a bolt with nut and a plastic "cube" that slips into the slot on the horn - the head of the bolt is in the "U" shaped half hole on the horn; you can see the nut and plastic cube on the outside in the pic

Gadget Install on a big Cruiser

FJRandy harness: contact him at motolight-at-msn dot com (remove the dashes)

Eastern Beaver Horn Harnesses

Course, I'm function over form kinda guy:
3302053098_3e64bb6e25.jpg
Me too, but not to that extreme! That looks, well, insanely functional....
Sorry...couldn't help myself. :rolleyes:
Didn't want to be the first to comment on that, but I'd rather get hit by a car after it couldn't here my weak ass horn than attach that to the side of my fairing.
Cars ain't the threat...New Orleans East for 20 miles no longer have working street lights and I leave for PGR mission frequently in the wee hours of the morning in all types of weather (o'dark thirty). The 18 wheelers are relentlessly rushing their cargo to the warehouses and Interstate 10 is in bad shape along the run from New Orleans to Slidell. The trucks occassionally start bounching along and even impulsively change lanes and the air horn coupled with the Fiamm replacement disc horns really get their attention that another truck or even a train are near them. I also run lazer star bullet lights (2 55watt) on the forks to make the attention getting light triangle. I could move it and tuck it in and may do that in the future.

To each their own.
Yep, this sure is a great country

[side Bar - I am a musician and I have a sound level meter; the stock V-Strom horn (1 round Fiamm) sounded at 98 db, the FJR's two, two tone round horns sounded at 105 db and the Stebel sounded at 109 db. for every 3 db the sound is twice as loud which means that the Stebel is twice as loud as the OEM horns on the FJR and over three times as loud as the V-Strom OEM horn.]

Not quite. In electrical terms you would be correct (increase of 3dB = double the power), however, in acoustics it takes a 10 dB increase in SPL to be perceived as twice as loud. So really, your measurements say that the Stebel is somewhat louder than the FJR (less than twice), and is only twice as loud as the wimpy WeeStrom horn.

Reference

I've got the Stebel off my Mean streak that I've been meaning to install. Then I noticed Stebel has some new electric jobbies (dual tone) that look like they could be a mechical replacement for the FJR horns. You'd still have to do the relay...

Anybody tried these yet?

My favorite way to mount a Nautilus horn on a Gen II FJR:Harald's horn mount

Or if you want to seperate the horn into two components and mount in place of the orginal horns:

FJRandy's horn install
What a bunch of horny FJRs!!! :D
So if I left my factory horns in place and ALSO added the stebel horn, does that make me EXCESSIVELY horny? :blink:

Latest posts