Best replacement battery

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MrZappo - Thanks for the advice on the trickle charger. I already have a Battery Tender, as well as a regulated solar charger. Both have worked fine over the years. All I need now is something for them to keep charged.

Amazingly, the original battery in my 2007 Gen II is still working. But I'm not going to tempt the fates any longer and am therefore looking for a replacement battery. I'd like to get suggestions on which to buy.
Amazingly the OEM battery in my 2007 is also still working, 82K miles and counting. I've been waiting for it to crap out any day now but it just keeps going and going and going....

So rather than tempt the fates, I ordered a Personal Power Supply. This one. So far I've used it for 2 lawnmowers. Just for shits & giggles I disconnected the battery positive lead on my V8 pickup. It started it. I use it sometimes for charging phone, gps, etc. just so it gets some use. Fits under the rear seat nicely.

Went to get a battery for the new to me 2008 AE and they showed me that the correct battery is the YT14B-4 which is what i had them order. I did ask about the YT14B-BS and they were very Nope. At least the -4 is only $66.

Doing OK here?

Bappo

Yuasa's vehicle finder webite lists the TY14B-BS as the replacement. Not sure the diff with your B-4(?) Copied from the site:

Yamaha - FJR1300, A 2003-2012 1300cc
redSpacer.gif

Battery Family: Factory Activated, Maintenance Free Battery Type: YT14B-BS
YT14B-BS.jpg
Voltage: 12 Capacity: 12 Dimensions: 6" x 2.75" x 5.75" Weight: 10.1 lbs. Metric Dimensions: 152mm x 70mm x 145mm Metric Weight: 4.6 kg Polarity:
b.gif
Acid Volume: N/A Amps: 1.2 C.C.A.: 210
redSpacer.gif

Which is why I am confused. Rexburg Motorsports computers and catalogs said 4, I came with the BS info. If I were a betting man I think they were looking at an alternate manufacturer. When I go and get it and it isn't a Yuasa I won't accept.

Can anyone clarify the issue between part number YT14B-4 and TY14B-BS? Or if anyone has a specific recommendation from Amazon for a decent battery for an 2008 FJR1300 AE I would certainly appreciate it!

Can anyone clarify the issue between part number YT14B-4 and TY14B-BS? Or if anyone has a specific recommendation from Amazon for a decent battery for an 2008 FJR1300 AE I would certainly appreciate it!
Think you'll find that the Yuasa number is YT14B-BS. The YT14B-4 is a non-Yuasa "equivalent".

Personally I'd go for the genuine part, not everyone shares my opinion. You pays your money and you takes your choice.

Reviving this thread from it's sleep.

The YT14B-BS shown on Amazon appears to be a counterfeit. There is a label rather than info being screened on the battery. The label correctly shows it being made in Reading, PA, but the battery also sports a "Made in Taiwan" rather than a "Made in USA" denotation. The only ones that appear to be genuine are up around $135.00, such as the one at Cycle Gear.

I know a lot of people swear by the Motobatt batteries for other bikes, so I am giving one of them a shot for $85 and change. It comes with a 2-year warranty.

https://www.amazon.com/BATTERY-YAMAHA-FZS1000-FJR1300-Warrior/dp/B01595I7FK?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00

EDIT: I see the YUASA site shows the same label and made in Taiwan, and it's 35 CCA higher. I guess I'll cancel the Motobatt and get the Yuasa after all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Update: Third season on my yt14b-bs without incident. Perfect so far. Always on a yuasa smart shot maintainer when bike is in the garage.

Very pleased so far.

14B-BS (bottle supplied) is a customer activated battery -- the customer has to fill the dry battery with the included acid. The acid is provided in six small bottles which are connected together as a single unit. My 14B-BS included six 110 cc bottles. It's very easy to fill the dry battery.

14B-4 is the same battery with the acid factory installed.

Since the battery doesn't begin aging until filled with acid the bottle supplied version might be preferable. It may be that many of the 14B-4 batteries aren't filled until they are sold. If they are direct shipped from the vendor's warehouse they may be filled just before shipping.

Whatever wet lead/acid battery you end up with, put it on a slow charger for 4 hours or more before slamming it with the load from your motorcycle's starter. In general I find this one little step is often the difference between a battery living 18 months vs 5 years.

I bought a new GS GT14B-4 from a local dealer in 2014 to replace the original on my '08. It never seemed all that strong. A few weeks ago it couldn't muster enough juice to restart the bike at a gas station, so a friendly soul helped me bump start it in second gear. Now I have a Yuasa YT14B-BS.