Best seats?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RaiderBill

Reaction score
Love my fjr, hate the corbin seats it came with. The passenger seat has a lip in back that does not give my wife enough room. They are way too hard for my liking. Was thinking about trying a sargent back seat for the wife because it is flat. Probably a front sargent also. Then if they don't work air hawks on top. Russell day maybe but don't want to drop a grand and then not be happy either. I like so many things about the fjr but if I cant do 500 mile days every now and then, and not stop every 25 miles then its got to go. What are your opinions 1 and 2 up. Would someone want my corbins? That would help offset the new seats.

Russell day maybe but don't want to drop a grand and then not be happy either.
This subject has been covered many, Many, MANY times....with some more recent possible twists. You've already experienced Corbin and thinking about bailing. Why do that again? It starts with an "R" and you usually get what you pay for.
wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
The new guy on the block is Seth Laam in Redding, CA. Go to www.laamseats.com......and don't think his seats are anything less than outstanding just because his prices are so reasonable.

+1 from what I've heard about these Laam seats. I currently have a Sargent, just sold my Corbin. My opinion? Corbin is slightly better than the stocker and the Sargent is slightly better than the Corbin, but neither fixes my sore butt.

Gary

darksider #44

Here is my personal scorecard for some FJR seats I've tried scoring from 0-10...10 being the highest score for comfort.

• RDL Russell +10
  • Laam +8
  • Sargent +7
  • Corbin +5
  • Stock -100,000
Best bang for your buck is Laam. However the best is still Russell and ultimately you get what you pay for. Don't be an idiot like me and try every seat under the sun, just get the RDL and be done with it.

If you decide to try a Russell, ordering it by end of business Friday, Oct 11 will get you a 15% discount. On a dual seat setup, that is significant.

Another vote for Russell. I tried lots of seats on various bikes befor I discovered Russell but It's the best in my book
smile.png
. Just need to find the money for one for the wing.

Thanks for the replies. Ignacio, yes I have went back and read posts about seats. Pretty much as I figured this winter will need to send my corbins in and get a Russell day as that is much less expensive than getting a different bike especially when I like my fjr a lot. Have seen laams before but I don't want to do as GeorgiaRoller suggested and go through several seats. I have only seen 1 post before on a person that did not like their Russell day.

If I choose to change my seat I'll likely take it to Rich's. After getting my NT seat worked over by them, I found I could ride all day long (400 - 800 miles a day) with no discomfort at all. Not so with the stock seat. 50 miles was getting old.

Pricey, but as above, YGWYPF. And for me, it's really convenient. Just ride over there and get it all done on the same day. And hanging around the shop and shmoozing with folks (including Rich) is a trip in itself. Plus I get a seat with my name on it
punk.gif

He routinely offers specials in the winter, so I may lie in wait for that and just do it.

https://www.richscustomseats.com/PhotoSingle.asp?PageID=268&MakeID=34&Placeholder=0

I'm choking on some of these prices. My wife hated her rocket 3 pillon seat so I found a used one on ebay tore it down bought new vinyl and foam at a sewing type shop and for 30 bucks she still says it was the most comfortable seat she has ever had. Only problem was it looked like crap, i'm certainly not a professional seat man.

I'm choking on some of these prices.
I think of it as a seat is about the same price as a couple of sets of tires, but it won't wear out. Or here's an idea: every time you complain about the stock seat, put $20 in a jar. Before you know it, you'll have the money to buy any seat you want!

Just an FYI RaiderBill, Russell (or any other custom seat maker that I know of) will not build you a seat on a Corbin or Sargent seat pan. So you'll need to buy someone's old stock seats to have the pans to send in. I was in the same boat, as my bike came to me used with a Corbin brick seat too. Poached some seats off eBay and then (eventually) sent them to Russell for the full leather treatment front and back

Expensive, yes... But definitely worth it. DEFINITELY.

You can spend much more in the price of a Russell on a litany of also-rans that don't work as well. Don't waste your time and money like I did. Just get a Russell and forget about your ass.

When choking competes with a sore butt.....it's hard to reconcile. One ultra-cheap alternative is a home-made ass board.
Thanks for posting the link Ignacio!

I would have never found this thread, as I don't have the time to delve deeply into the forum, and I'm not sure would have ever typed "assarang" into the search box.
smile.png

I'll cut an assarang this week. I'll give it to my wife the spyder rider. Since she doesn't have to put her feet down, she can safely be my guinea pig.

I'll now return this thread to the previous seat discussion.

I believe the group buy never got Russell on board even though they hit the maximum number of people allowed. I think Russell has settled on a straight forward 15% - 20% discount from 10/7/13 to 10/13/13 instead. Y'all best hurry.