Best tire for your buck

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is why I ride by myself, I got 2,000 miles out of my last 020 rear and I don't do holeshots or ride wheelies!

If I had to ride with people that get more than 10,000 miles on a rear tire I would just get a vespa scooter and be done with it .

One guy just said he got 13,000 miles on a pr2 and he tries to say he is not easy on the throttle--- ummmm, te he! :rolleyes:

I'm dying here guys and I'm not the ricky racer type but gee wilikers dudes remember the throttle is the funny round thing that you twist on the right handlebar and it makes the bike do amazing things ---- try it sometimes! YMMV and Damn I see it does :blink:

but that puts you at the mercy of people who sometimes don't have your best interestsat heart.
Yes, those people...they patrol these posts endlessly looking any minor infraction...they're everywhere, even if you can't see them.

Paranoid,

W2

Actually, I'm/we're about sick to death of NEPRT questions that seem to be asked and answered two or three times a month..

I think some of the noobs should have to suffer some type of Probationary period when questions like that come up because it's obvious they didn't or possibly couldn't read :rolleyes:

JMHO of course.

:jester:
You know what would help is some simple, up-front tutelage on how to use google as a search engine. If any typical noob's experience is like mine, the low-brow'd search engine that is attached to this site doesn't return anything for what ought to be a simple search of NEPRT-related topics: oil, tires, idle adjust, ignition recall, etc. You know the list better than I do. I read the noob lists and didn't run into anything that told me how to really search the site well. I was finally told about how to do searches by a fellow FJR'r in a post one day. That description should probably be up front in noob land. Don't remember seeing it.

Are you listening post patrollers?

W2

Last edited by a moderator:
You know what would help is some simple, up-front tutelage on how to use google as a search engine. If any typical noob's experience is like mine, the low-brow'd search engine that is attached to this site doesn't return anything for what ought to be a simple search of NEPRT-related topics: oil, tires, idle adjust, ignition recall, etc. You know the list better than I do. I read the noob lists and didn't run into anything that told me how to really search the site well. I was finally told about how to do searches by a fellow FJR'r in a post one day. That description should probably be up front in noob land. Don't remember seeing it.

W2
I emailed the admins yesterday, suggesting I prepare something, to toss back & forth via email for their comments / critique, then make it a posting & NEPRTs

Subject

Forum noobs, you wanna read this

FNGs only

and this was going to be a fairly detailed one, like my track day pics in ride reports (which did get some good feedback)

it's a noob101 guide (just the basics)

* step-by-step posting pics via photobucket with screenshots (part of my job is writing illustrated software user guides)

* why searching old posts is better/faster for them (and everyone)

* HOW to google for posts: subject key words site:www.fjrforum.com

* a quick 'splaining of what it takes to find your dumb-ass on the sidelines

If I had've read something like that, betcha my ass wouldn't be dogpiled right now (didn't even see it coming)

W2
I emailed the admins yesterday, suggesting I prepare something, to toss back & forth via email for their comments / critique, then make it a posting & NEPRTs

Subject

Forum noobs, you wanna read this

FNGs only

and this was going to be a fairly detailed one, like my track day pics in ride reports (which did get some good feedback)

it's a noob101 guide (just the basics)

* step-by-step posting pics via photobucket with screenshots (part of my job is writing illustrated software user guides)

* why searching old posts is better/faster for them (and everyone)

* HOW to google for posts: subject key words site:www.fjrforum.com

* a quick 'splaining of what it takes to find your dumb-ass on the sidelines

If I had've read something like that, betcha my ass wouldn't be dogpiled right now (didn't even see it coming)
IIRC....and it has been a very long time since I was a noob...there are threads, etc., that are highly suggested reading when one becomes a member of the forum

The problem could be that, being very human, we tend to overlook the suggestions as unnesessary, at least I did!

For instance, the first section on the main page is Board Information where one can find this page: Software and Board Operation where most of your discussed topics are covered.

While I am a card carrying member of the Search Nazi Brute Squad, I do try to provide the exact "typed" request I use to find things using Google, such as: PR2s site:fjrforum.com. Hopefully that makes it a learning experience for the new members.

Bust is right on one thing, spend some time here and you will see how many times the same question is asked per month. It tends to get "tiring", so we'll expect you two (Leskid & W2) to be the new answer source for the newbies so the rest of us won't have to enter every new posting to answer the same questions.

Besides, a good dog pile now and then is sooooo....cathartic! :bleh:

This is why I ride by myself, I got 2,000 miles out of my last 020 rear and I don't do holeshots or ride wheelies!
If I had to ride with people that get more than 10,000 miles on a rear tire I would just get a vespa scooter and be done with it .

One guy just said he got 13,000 miles on a pr2 and he tries to say he is not easy on the throttle--- ummmm, te he! :rolleyes:

I'm dying here guys and I'm not the ricky racer type but gee wilikers dudes remember the throttle is the funny round thing that you twist on the right handlebar and it makes the bike do amazing things ---- try it sometimes! YMMV and Damn I see it does :blink:
Oohhhhh, I dunno! :unsure:

I'm not usually a "grandpa type" thought I've slowed a bit since my "2 cracked vertebrae-double cracked shoulder blade-broken ribs" KLR adventure.

To whit: I normally average 5-6K on a set of PRs, Metz OEMs, 7K on Avons, I got 3000 miles from a set of 'Stone 021s; PR2s gave me 10K plus on the rear and 15K on the front (To NAFO and back, lots of twisty roads in CO and high speed across NV plus commuting and local day rides). AND I've ridden with Toecutter....he moves along quite nicely, thank you very much!

I will admit that we're not even pictured in the dictionary next to "hooligan". 10/10ths on the street isn't wise, IMHO, though 6/10s -7/10s is interesting.

I buy tires on sale. Winter is usually the best time to stock up. I've never won a trophy riding the FJR, so I'm really not concerned how they perform. If I feel them slipping, I slow down.

On these crappy roads around here nothing lasts very long anyway.

My 2 cents....

I will admit that we're not even pictured in the dictionary next to "hooligan". 10/10ths on the street isn't wise, IMHO, though 6/10s -7/10s is interesting.
Also, I think Haulin' Ashe mentioned that the roads back East tend to be a lot tougher on tires than out West. Wouldn't know, haven't been back there yet, but he's probably had plenty of experience on those roads.

A day later I just read what I posted and I sound like a bit of an ass, note to myself--- no posting after a couple of beers :unsure:

2,000 on a rear was my first and I hope not to do that again. I actually take it very easy for the first 1 or 2 thousand but I think I found some extra fun roads on this tire and I remember doubling back to go over them again and that is one of the benefits of riding alone. I only hammer this thing in the turns because anybody can go fast in the straights <_<

I can't seem to get over 4,000 miles on a tire so I'm a little wary about spending 170 for a pr2 rear.

I was lucky to get one of the first bikes this side of the pond and it was so good that I had to get another one so like Ashe I've sucked down some tires and they all seem to go at the same rate.

I would be happy to get 6,000 miles or better so maybe I will take the plunge and check these pr2's out cause I do have some respect for a couple of the guys that did quote my stupid statement. Ive been lurkin' for years and I read a lot of you're posts so I gotta believe you guys!

I need to go and hide some more :blink:

I got 9 k mi. out of a rear Dunlop Roadsmart, which was good because rears usually last 6 to 8 k. So I tried one on the front and it is done after 5k mi.--dissapointing. Prior to this I had a Michelin Road Pilot 2 on the front which went a excellent 10 k mi.--Worth the extra money. I'll be buying more of the Michelins.

I wasted a set of PR2's going to Alaska. 2 1/2 wks. ago, they were 2/3rds gone when I was ready to leave Anchorage with 4300 miles on them and knew I wouldn't make it out of Canada on them. Good old chip seal!!!!! A weekend was coming up and the cycle shops would be closed, so I installed a new set of PR's at Anchorage Yamaha. The PR's handled better in the long gravel construction zones on the Alaska and Cassiar hwy. Tire wear back to Boulder was similar to the PR2's going up. PR2's maybe good for smooth roads but..............

I wasted a set of PR2's going to Alaska. 2 1/2 wks. ago, they were 2/3rds gone when I was ready to leave Anchorage with 4300 miles on them and knew I wouldn't make it out of Canada on them. Good old chip seal!!!!! A weekend was coming up and the cycle shops would be closed, so I installed a new set of PR's at Anchorage Yamaha. The PR's handled better in the long gravel construction zones on the Alaska and Cassiar hwy. Tire wear back to Boulder was similar to the PR2's going up. PR2's maybe good for smooth roads but..............
Sounds like you really wanted a meaty set of knobbies. :rolleyes:

Just thinkin' out loud,

W2

Latest posts