Rear Wheel Bearings

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canadian FJR

Canadian FJR
Reaction score
copied from the other sandbox 

In Nova Scotia, we are required to get a Motor Vehicle Inspection (MVI) done every two years. New vehicle is initially good for three years.During this inspection a tech checks safety items such as tire tread depth, brakes, lights, horns and wheel bearings.During inspection the tech looks up and me and says “ your gonna hate me. Your rear wheel bearings are loose.”I have two rims so there is likely less than 40,000 km on this rim.I get down and wiggle my rear wheel by holding it at 12:00 & 6:00, sure enough I get some slight movement.When back home in the garage I pull the wheel to check things out but the bearings are all good. Knowing that there was movement I kinda decided that maybe I felt a very slight drag on the single bearing on the brake side. I also determined that there is no c-clip holding the bearing in but a Yamaha specialty tool required to remove the 41 mm hex bearing retainer. Hexagon Wrench Y01525.I spent all day trying to find something that would work with no luck So I decided to get one made.I also decided to get a second, third & forth opinion on the status of the bearing and every tech I spoke with thought they were fine.This morning I decided to try my spare rim and the exact same movement. To go one step further I stopped in to see two other FJR buddies and check their rear wheel for movement. An ‘04 had very very slight moment, a 2016 with very low miles had the exact same movement as mine.  The bike is now back together with the original bearings.There is some very slight movement but I am confident that this is normal for the newer models. A huge thanks to Ray for holding my hand through this. I suspect the cush drive may be slightly softer if maybe a bit different in design from older models.Curious what others have experienced.If anyone ever needs this tool, feel free to reach out. It’s a shame if it never gets used.

Canadian FJR