Big Bear

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK it looks like the 5th is the better date. Now I need to contact CAL Trans and figure out what roads are closed and which ones arent and come up with some sort of alternate route for 138.

OK it looks like the 5th is the better date. Now I need to contact CAL Trans and figure out what roads are closed and which ones arent and come up with some sort of alternate route for 138.
The back side (no perv comments) of BB we took last year was fine.

I would actually like to do something a little different. I was thinking meeting in Azusa then going up 39 to 2 to 138 to arrowhead to big bear to 38 to redlands then breakup and go home.

I believe 2 is only closed from 14 miles before Flintridge to Flintridge. The rest I believe is open. Ive never been on 39 and it looks interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
The back side (no perv comments) of BB we took last year was fine.
You know you like the back side better.

This picture is for Neil since I torment him so much.

bikini200400355wggr7.jpg

Slappy,

39 does not go as far as 2.

The section past Crystal Lake has been closed since 1978 because they cannot keep it open due to rock slides.

Slappy,39 does not go as far as 2.

The section past Crystal Lake has been closed since 1978 because they cannot keep it open due to rock slides.
From the Caltrans Road Conditions page:

• SR 39
[iN THE SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA AREA]

IS CLOSED FROM 6.5 MI SOUTH OF THE COLDBROOK RANGER STATION TO ISLIP SADDLE

(LOS ANGELES CO) - DUE TO STORM DAMAGE - MOTORISTS ARE ADVISED TO USE

AN ALTERNATE ROUTE

Why is god so against me on this one. 39 looks amazing. 2 is still closed and will be for some time again.

OK can anyone tell me about this. Sunland off the 210 Big Tujunga canyon road to Angeles Forest to Angeles Crest Highway. This bypasses the closed section of 2 and almost links up at 39. According to Google maps it looks nice. I cannot find any info on that road.

Slappy:

Based on this Caltrans news release (PDF), Angeles Crest is closed from just above I-210 up to the Mount Wilson Road, which is 5 miles past Angeles Forest, so you can't go up Angeles Forest to hook up with Angeles Crest.

Angeles Crest Highway (SR-2) Remains Closed
LA CANADA-FLINTRIDGE – The California Department of Transportation (Caltrans)

announces that SR-2 from La Canada-Flintridge to Mount Wilson Road will remain

closed to the public due to severe damage resulting from heavy rains. This section of

highway is expected to reopen by mid-Summer.

As repair work continues on the highway at lower elevations, the highway is open at

higher elevations from Mount Wilson Road to Highway 39 (Islip Saddle).

Several county roads leading to SR-2 have opened to the public. Those seeking

access to SR-2 via county roads should contact the Los Angeles County Department of

Public Works at 626-458-5100 or visit: www.ladpw.org.

Heavy rains during mid-January caused several landslides and road washouts along

SR-2 in the Angeles National Forest. Portions of the asphalt along with the fill under the

road washed away leaving large gaps in the roadway. A Caltrans damage assessment

team determined that the most significant road washouts range between 50 to 110 feet

along the highway and about 200 feet below it at some locations, making the highway

unsafe and impassable.

Why is god so against me on this one. 39 looks amazing. 2 is still closed and will be for some time again.
OK can anyone tell me about this. Sunland off the 210 Big Tujunga canyon road to Angeles Forest to Angeles Crest Highway. This bypasses the closed section of 2 and almost links up at 39. According to Google maps it looks nice. I cannot find any info on that road.
Slappy

Yes the only way to get to Newcombs Ranch from La Canada is to take the 210 to Sundland and take Big Tujunga Rd then Upper Big T across to ACH. That’s the only way to Newcomb’s and beyond.

Best

Grant (LAroo)

PS I am interested in the ride as well.

OK here is the word from CAL Trans. This will be the route

Sunland starbucks which ever we find, will have address soon

Big Tijunga Canyon Road north to N3.

N3 to Upper Big Tijunga Canyon Road.

Upper Big Tijunga Canyon Road to Angeles Crest Highway.

Agneles Crest to 138

138 to 18 (Crestline)

18 to 189.

189 to Arrowhead (Lunch)

189 to 173 to 18.

18 to Big Bear.

18 to 38

38 to Redlands.

Redlands home.

This will be the official route for those that really want a ride. For those that want to cut it short you will have two places to do so. Where 2 and Angeles Crest connect Hwy 15 intersects. You can get on 15 and head to where ever. Also where 18 and 138 connect at Crestline you can go south on 18 and finally 18 and 330 running springs is the final bail out point.

Google maps says the whole route is 186 miles and 4 hrs and 46 minutes. Add to that lunch and a couple of pitstops for the peanut size bladders of some people and it will be a full day.

What does everyone think of this route?

That is an excellent route.

Be careful on 138 between Silverwood Lake and Crestline as there are a lot of very tight corners.

If you do not scrap pegs on that section you are a wuss.

I cannot join you as I am starting a two week trip to Utah, Colorado, and Arizona on June 5.

Sounds like a full day and a gooood ride Slappy. :yahoo: :yahoo:

Better load up on brownies for this one.

When we end up in Redlands, maybe some of us can continue on over Idyllwild to 79 and onto Temecula and scatter from there.

I am currently looking at restaurants in arrowhead. I will have that info very soon. Just needed some sort of head count before I pinned a place down.

Our first choice. Bit on the spendy side. Woodys

Basic mexican food Mexican

I am currently looking at restaurants in arrowhead. I will have that info very soon. Just needed some sort of head count before I pinned a place down.
Our first choice. Bit on the spendy side. Woodys

Basic mexican food Mexican
[SIZE=36pt]Woody's[/SIZE]

:blink:

From an article in LAist

Opening of Angeles Crest Highway Delayed to Summer
Closed since January due to fire and rain damage, the Angeles Crest HIghway (SR-2) through the Angeles National Forest will remain closed with an opening expected by mid to late summer, Caltrans officials announced today. Only the La Canada-Flintridge to Mount Wilson section is closed while the Mount Wilson Road to State Route 138 section remains open.

In February, officials predicted it would open by late March, but continued rainstorms further delayed the project, which includes washouts ranging between 50 and 110 feet. "With the damage that's taken place from Mother Nature -- landslides and lack of vegetation [initially caused by the Station Fire] -- that's what's delayed the opening of this road," Caltrans Spokesman Patrick Chandler told LAist.

Some area roads, like the Angeles Forest Highway, Big Tujunga Canyon Road and Upper Big Tujunga, remain open, but are still considered construction zones. Traffic coming from the Angeles Forest Highway will not be allowed onto the Crest Highway.