• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Big Sky's Books - A Red Lodge Special and Memorium to Big Sky

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigjohnsd

2021 BMW R1250GSA
Reaction score
Big Sky and I were working on this Book Deal before he met his untimely demise.

Mrs Big Sky (Marilyn) has agreed to continue the project and will deliver books to Red Lodge to meet some of us.

As most of you know, Cole Boehler, Big Sky, was a member of FJR Owners Forum since 2006. Cole was a 40-year journalist and rider, is author, editor and publisher of two motorcycle touring guide books: "Motorcycling Montana" and now "Motorcycling Idaho."

Both books are full color, 5.5 x 8.5 inches, spiral bound, chock full of text describing the best routes in some detail, photo illustrations, map excerpts and advertisements for motorcycle-friendly businesses - all from a writing rider who knows these roads.

Cole contacted me in March and said he would make copies of both books available at half price to Forum members coming to Red Lodge in July.

The Montana book retails at $29.95 - your price $15; the Idaho book retails at $19.95 - your price $10. These will be available for Red Lodge attendees when they arrive for the event or in advance as detailed below.

You can view the book websites at:

motorcyclingmontana.com

motorcyclingidaho.com

or both of them from

northernrockiesrider.com

We cannot honor the 1/2 price rate through the website!

To order and get the Smoking Hot Deal here's what you have to do:

Copy the following bold section of the post and Forward via e-mail to Cole's Assistant Dani at: : [email protected] and indicate what you want:

Begin Copy here

The Instant Gratification package
smile.png

____ "Motorcycling Montana" with Montana state highway map, "Top Tours" magazine and Wyoming motorcycle map - $15 plus $7 Priority Mail Shipping

____ "Motorcycling Idaho" with Idaho state highway map, "Top Tours" and Wyoming motorcycle map - $10 plus $7 Priority Mail Shipping

We can get 1 copy of EACH book in a shipment for $7.00. We cannot get 2 MC Montana books in one envelope so they are $7.00 shipping each. We could get up to 3 ID books in one package for $7.00.

Delivered at Red Lodge Package:

____ "Motorcycling Montana" with Montana state highway map, "Top Tours" magazine and Wyoming motorcycle map - $15;

____ "Motorcycling Idaho" with Idaho state highway map, "Top Tours" and Wyoming motorcycle map - $10;

If you want it shipped to you now, please add your shipping address here:

Name: ___________________________________________

Address: ___________________________________________

End Copy Here

When Dani receives your order, you will then get a PayPal invoice and as soon as you pay it, your order goes into the shipment for Red Lodge where you can pick it up, or into the mail for advance delivery.

Questions, call Dani at 406-490-8472 or Email her at : [email protected]

From Mrs. Big Sky

We have received some advance orders on the website at full price and I am grateful for that support.

I chuckled to see someone on the RIP thread who pulled the Hunter S Thompson photo and Cole's 2 tag lines. I'm thinking they did realize that was not a photo of Cole but represented his "identity" on the Forum.

Marilyn Irey

Mrs. Big Sky

Unquote

Last edited by a moderator:
I already ordered and received my copy of the Motorcycling Montana book... it is really slick and well worth the full price, imo. I'm especially enjoying the Introduction section which has a lot of information about Cole himself. I will order the one for Idaho directly from the site as I'd like it before I leave for Red Lodge to check out. These books are really worth the price, full or at the smokin' hot deal!
cool.png

Awesome on you John for following through on this. I am sure that Marilyn appreciates the love and support Cole has here. I will be ordering ASAP.

Ordered

Considering the circumstances, and that Marilyn will most likely be receiving the proceeds, maybe full price would be the better way to go?

I already own a cherished copy of "Motorcycling Montana" from before I made the trip in 2014. But I have not yet been to Idaho, and want a copy of that one. I'll probably go to the web site and order mine there at full price, since I won't make it to Red Lodge this year.

PS - I'd never known until now that Big Sky's avatar photo was of Hunter S Thompson. I'd never seen a photo of Thompson before. I knew it wasn't Cole, because we had met. I actually thought it was the actor Kurtwood Smith that played Red Forman on That 70's Show. Hunter Thompson makes a lot more sense.

Considering the circumstances, and that Marilyn will most likely be receiving the proceeds, maybe full price would be the better way to go?
I already own a cherished copy of "Motorcycling Montana" from before I made the trip in 2014. But I have not yet been to Idaho, and want a copy of that one. I'll probably go to the web site and order mine there at full price, since I won't make it to Red Lodge this year.

PS - I'd never known until now that Big Sky's avatar photo was of Hunter S Thompson. I'd never seen a photo of Thompson before. I knew it wasn't Cole, because we had met. I actually thought it was the actor Kurtwood Smith that played Red Forman on That 70's Show. Hunter Thompson makes a lot more sense.
Either way the proceeds will get to Marilyn.

She said Cole would want to continue the good deal he had arranged.

I took her at her word.

One can always send extra through the PayPal account if one wants to.

Cole's obituary has been published here.

"A casual memorial service will be held Friday, May 27, at 10 a.m. at The Butte Depot, 818 S. Arizona St. In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made to the Ruby Valley Search and Rescue, PO Box 684, Sheridan, MT, 59749. Axelson Alternative Cremation in Butte is assisting the family with arrangements."

Butte Depot is a fairly large venue that is used to host bands, weddings, and other large events.

Annie and I will try to attend.

Some of my rambling from the other thread:

"Years later in Seattle we were laughing about his book. I don't need no stinking book because I was born and raised in Montana and know the state like the back of my hand. Pretty soon we where looking for roads that I didn't know about in his book. And you folks probably guess the rest of the story, I had to buy the damn book because there were some roads that I had not been on and didn't even know about."

Thanks John, for putting this together.

Awesome deal. I had already ordered Montana. Think I will order Idaho too. Cole is still giving even after passing.

What the hell. I just ordered a Montana and an Idaho. I will donate the Montana to NAFO Swag.

I bought a copy of each book also. Anxious to learn more about Cole and his excellent part of the world. Hope to get out that way again- and if I do I'll have a much better idea of where to visit.

Thanks John for setting this up.

I am going to have to agree with Fred on this one. I would rather pay full price than get a deal from Cole's widow. I do understand the thought and sincerely appreciate the effort Big John went through to set this up. Obviously, Big John is a Stand Up Guy and this is another example of that.

I have lost count of the number of copies of the Montana book I have ordered. I used them as a unique and appropriate gift to many of my motorycycling friends. What I do not have is a copy of the Idaho book and that must be rectified soon.

Again, I sincerely want to thank Big John for doing this.

Cole had that marvelous way of sharing his simple love of his home state and of his motorcycling knowledge of the region. On a recommendation on the Forum, I purchased his motorcycling publications a few months back. He included official state highway maps, his Northern Rockies Rider pub, and a kind, personal note of encouragement.

These books are the harvest of a life spent doing what he loved to do. I am greatly pleased to be able to partake in that bounty, and you will be, too. So whether you plan to tour that area from the armchair or the saddle, consider placing an order for these gems!

Cheers!