Bike Moving Expertise and Experience Needed!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TangiMan

Reaction score
I'm having to move the FJR about 600 miles via trailer, and I've never had to move a stationary bike before. I'm going to rent a trailer, and it would fit inside a 5x8 u-Haul, which is easily accessible for 1-way moves. But these things don't have tie-downs. Question: Is there a way to stabilize the bike without tie-downs?

I could always get an open trailer, which would be easy to secure it in via the side rails; but it would be nice to have it ride "inside."

Also, as food for thought, anybody transport their bike in an open trailer with the bike cover installed (and of course, secured)? I know w/ a car, the cover would beat the daylights out of the paint finish; but I'm not sure about a bike.

Thanks for any input....

John

I'm having to move the FJR about 600 miles via trailer, and I've never had to move a stationary bike before. I'm going to rent a trailer, and it would fit inside a 5x8 u-Haul, which is easily accessible for 1-way moves. But these things don't have tie-downs. Question: Is there a way to stabilize the bike without tie-downs?

I could always get an open trailer, which would be easy to secure it in via the side rails; but it would be nice to have it ride "inside."

Also, as food for thought, anybody transport their bike in an open trailer with the bike cover installed (and of course, secured)? I know w/ a car, the cover would beat the daylights out of the paint finish; but I'm not sure about a bike.

Thanks for any input....

John
if you ride your bike in the rain, I would not concern myself with it being "inside". As for tie downs. ya gotta have the tie downs or you are going to have one big mess. Why not ride it the 600 miles to where you are going. have someone follow you in the car and pick you up at the other end. You can probably complete the 600 miles in 10-12 hours . Just a thought.

Willie

MUST have tie-downs.

Must NOT run exposed with cover on. Unless you don't want to use your cover any more. (Did you ever see somebody towing a boat and they forget to stow the soft top? Not pretty.)

Sounds as if we're getting a concensus here.... and it's not like I really didn't know it deep down.

Tell me, do those front wheel chocks have to be bolted to the floor of whatever? (And I know you still have to use straps w/ the chock.) If so, I assume that means drilling, etc., which obviously isn't practical for a rental trailer....

And BTW, riding is not an option, but thanks for the suggestion.

John

I had a problem tying my bike down inside the back of my pickup. The tie downs that were attached to the handlebars contacted the corners of the body panels. I put a bath towel under them to spread the load and prevent scratching, but I still worried about cracking the body work. If you do tie the bike down, make sure the fastening points on the trailer are far enough out to the side to prevent contact like that.

To answer your question about the wheel boots, my buddy doesn't bolt his to the floor, but I'm not that brave. I suppose it would work in a pinch, but remember, our bikes are on the heavy side.

Joe

Another alternative would be to drill 3/8 holes in the corners and thru bolt 3/8 eye bolts with nuts and fender washers top and bottom. When you're done just remove the bolts and use 3/8 dowel and glue to fill the holes. A bit "red neck" but would work. Personally I wouldn't want to modify anyone's equipment so I'd ask where the closest U Haul dealer that rents the MC trailer is and go pick it up or if they could have one delivered. Two cents doesn't go as far these days. ;)

According to U Haul's web site there are 3 dealers in your area who are supposed to have MC trailers or access to them. All are in Hammond La. I'd call them for availability...Just a thought. ~Harvey :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
U-Haul motorcycle trailers are for local use only. The only thing they sanction for 1-way MC use is the 5x9 aluminum utility trlr w/ramp (open, of course). I will wind up using one of these if I don't get any bright ideas in very near future.... Thanks again for all the input, folks....

John