BMW Rushing to Beat '06 FJR?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpalamaro

Reaction score
Some serious talk from people who have an 'in' with BMW, and the latest rumor is that BMW may introduce the GT in March. I saw a marketing blurb on the BMW website re: the GT targeted specifically for the FJR market. Yamaha should be proud . . . the ST1300 was not mentioned.

Feels to me like the TV ad . . . when banks compete, you win. When these two bikes compete, we win! :eek:

Yeah, but even iffin BMW does, it will be priced at something like $21,000.00 and that will negate everything else. Tha MOTORAD?

Yeah, but even iffin BMW does, it will be priced at something like $21,000.00 and that will negate everything else. Tha MOTORAD?
Here we go again. Base price is $18,700 incl destination. You can spend more with options, but at this price, it has everything the FJR has (bags, ABS), so it's an apples to apples comparison with a $13,500 06 FJR.

- Mark

Yeah, but even iffin BMW does, it will be priced at something like $21,000.00 and that will negate everything else.  Tha MOTORAD?
Here we go again. Base price is $18,700 incl destination. You can spend more with options, but at this price, it has everything the FJR has (bags, ABS), so it's an apples to apples comparison with a $13,500 06 FJR.

- Mark
Apples to Apples? $5200.00 difference, that's more like Apples to Diamonds. I hope BMW does bring there machine out in March, just watch how many more people they will drive to the FJR.

gentlemen...apples to apples perhaps, but lets not forget whats included in Beemers` premium price: standard 3 year factory warranty and lots more power; an engine that`s light years beyond the feejer`s; a front end that doesn`t dive under load;a fairing that actually weather protects the rider and one of the smoothest rides in motorcycledom! Not to mention, a much cooler riding experience and non-destructing valve guides! Don`t get me wrong here...I am not entirely justifying BMW`s pricing policy...ya always pay more for the cache`, not to mention, the Germans pay their workers the highest assembly line wages in the world. Nevertheless, they are more than capable of producing fine motorcycles and cars. Would I ever buy one? Maybe some day...they would have to have a much stronger dealer network for me...the closest dealer is 5 hrs from here...the Yammi place is 1/2 hr away.I love my 04 abs feejer, but I haven`t eliminated from my world, the possibility there may be a better bike out there that doesn`t have a set of tuning forks on the tank! :assasin:

gentlemen...apples to apples perhaps, but lets not forget whats included in Beemers` premium price: standard 3 year factory warranty and lots more power; an engine that`s light years beyond the feejer`s; a front end that doesn`t dive under load;a fairing that actually weather protects the rider and one of the smoothest rides in motorcycledom! Not to mention, a much cooler riding experience and non-destructing valve guides! Don`t get me wrong here...I am not entirely justifying BMW`s pricing policy...ya always pay more for the cache`, not to mention, the Germans pay their workers the highest assembly line wages in the world. Nevertheless, they are more than capable of producing fine motorcycles and cars. Would I ever buy one? Maybe some day...they would have to have a much stronger dealer network for me...the closest dealer is 5 hrs from here...the Yammi place is 1/2 hr away.I love my 04 abs feejer, but I haven`t eliminated from my world, the possibility there may be a better bike out there that doesn`t have a set of tuning forks on the tank! :assasin:
Light years ahead? I just don't get it. My buddy at work has the GT and while it's a nice bike I don't think it's really any nicer than the FJR.

They have a Liquid-cooled inline four-cylinder, 1171 cc, 130 bhp @ 8,750 rpm, 85 lb-ft @ 6,750 rpm, Dry weight of 620 lbs. excluding options and accessories, Linked ABS, Fuel capacity 5.4 U.S. gallons including 1.0 gallon reserve and a price tag of 18 to 19k.

The FJR has a 1,298cc, liquid-cooled, 16-valve, DOHC, in-line four-cylinder, 145 hp @ 8000 RPM and 99 ft.-lbs. of torque @ 7000 RPM, respectively, Dry Weight 582 lbs, Linked ABS, Fuel Capacity 6.6 Gallons and a price tag of 13.5k.

Sure the BMW has a 3 year warranty but so does the Honda ST1300, and everyone on this board should know that you can get 48 month YES for $400. I tell my buddy that I'm getting my bike serviced at the dealer for around $150 to $180 and he tells me his bike runs around $750 every 6k miles.

Getsum...err ahem...I believe we are talking about the new K1200GT (2nd generation), to be introduced mid season this year as an `07 model, .It has the same engine seen in the K1200S and the K1200R...detuned actually, for greater torque (it only makes 150hp in this version as opposed to 167hp in the others).Believe me, there is Formula One technology in this baby. :assasin:

Hey there Getsum...your right...it`s not on their site yet...happen to spy it in the latest issue of "Cycle Canada" in their Newsfront section on page 8. Its the issue that includes the Sportbike Buyers Guide. Cheers... :assasin:

"Nice bike. $21,000 nice??"

...yeah Dave, know what you mean...lets just see what the ride reports come up with. Remember what mama said...can`t judge a book by it`s cover... :assasin:

Once again, it's not $21K, it's $18.7K. US pricing has been annouced. Yes, you can drive it higher with options, but at this price it has basically the same equipment as the $13,500 FJR. And it does have a three-year warranty, so you probably need to factor a few hundred to the FJR's pricing to get the same warranty. After the initial hoopla, discounts are likely to be similar.

And we're talking about the 2006 K1200GT, a new design based on the K1200S, not the old K1200GT. I believe (but am not sure) that power has been reported to be 148 at the crank, slightly more than the FJR, but at higher revs since it is a smaller displacement motor.

Back to the bickering about which bike is better, a somewhat crystall ball discussion since one hasn't shipped at all and the other hasn't shipped yet with a large number of changes.

- Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
And what about "ugliness"?!

The new GT is - that's my opinion... - too much ugly: plastic in excess,"square" shapes, etc. For me the last good looking bike they made was the 1100/1150RT.

Besides the finishing is desappointing, as well as reliability (compared to Yamaha).

And what about service? Expensive and scarce.

Of course it also has some positive points but not enough to trade my FJR :)

There is a fine gentleman on this site (maybe he will read this) who owns both the BMW S and the FJR and he has stated he cannot tell the difference in the power between the two bikes. And as for the GT bigger faster better? Year right! BMW make a beautiful bike the quality is second to none if you really look closely you cans see the precision which is typical of the German engineering ethos but BMW is playing catch up with respect to the FJR and what it represents.

Ask yourself one question "Why is the FJR so popular? I know you know the answer to the question. :D

Cool, thanks for the links. It’s easier to do a comparison with the right info.

Sorry but I'm still not seeing light years ahead. This is from the 2006 BMW K 1200 GT PDF spec sheet from the links above, and then from the Yamaha site for the FJR.

Links to both sources below:

https://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products...80/0/specs.aspx

https://email.k-bikes.com/users/randy/k1200gt.pdf

They have a Liquid-cooled inline four-cylinder, 1157 cc, 152 bhp @ 9,500 rpm, 96 lb-ft @ 7,750 rpm, Dry weight of 549 lbs, Linked ABS, Fuel capacity 6.3 U.S. gallons including 1.0 gallon reserve and a price tag of 18.8k.

The FJR has a 1,298cc, liquid-cooled, 16-valve, DOHC, in-line four-cylinder, 145 hp @ 8000 RPM and 99 ft.-lbs. of torque @ 7000 RPM, respectively, Dry Weight 582 lbs, Linked ABS, Fuel Capacity 6.6 Gallons and a price tag of 13.5k.

To me it looks like somewhat of a numbers game with the higher HP and Torque but at higher RPM so it's sort of a wash there. It does look like they are really trying to match FJR, which tells me the FJR is already the bike to beat. Finally, after pricing in the 48 month YES policy at $400, the BMW is still $5,000.00 more than the FJR. Figure in maintenance costs of anywhere $50 if you do the work yourself to $140 to $180 if the dealer does the maintenance on the FJR ever 4k miles and then look at about $750 every 6k miles on the BMW. I also saw that the BMW needs to be run on premium, no biggie but still something to factor in.

Then, I also can’t ignore the fact that the FJR has some serious room to negotiate and when I was shopping for a bike this summer I found the local BMW dealer unmovable. Seems the lowest quoted dealer price on an ’06 FJR1300A is $2,000 below the MSRP at $11,499 and you now have a $7000 gap and I still can’t see how the BMW is the better bike.

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...962&hl=06+price

Looking at this information, I’m still making the same decision I made last summer and that’s buying more bike for less money by going with the FJR. I will concede that BMW has indeed closed the gap in performance, but I surely don’t see light years ahead.

Even if there was not the salty "premium" on the cost of buying the beemer, the limited # of dealers for service and the relatively high priced and more numerous times required add more "salt" to a wounded wallet.

Then there is BMWNA's attitude to their customers; they sure left a really bad taste in my mouth with my (purchased new) '94 R1100RS. I've had 4 beemers, including the '74 R75/6 that I currently own versus 1 '03 "turkey cooker" FJR. However, my $500 deposit was put on a new '06 "A" back on Sept 28, less than 3 weeks after a new right hip was installed. Hopefully by March when the new FJR is supposed to be here I will be able to ride her...I hope! DFO ;)

In reality, no one knows what the MSRP for the BMW GT will be......THere is NO 06GT on BMW's website as the 04 GT is still listed as being the current model. And the bike is supposed to be released next month? BWHWAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

My god man, if they can't even keep their website updated, gives question to if their reliability issues are gonna contiinue on 06 models that are so commonly the subject of conversation on the BMW website.....

I'd never own one in a million years!!

Just hit my CRVBMW party last Saturday. The big issue with most people is the cost/maintance problems. I read the new units don't have fuses, or miles down for shimming the valves. BMW makes you depend on you dealers more than Yamaha. I hope BMW can come-out with a better bike this time. Lets just say your taking a bigger risk with a new BMW verses a new FJR.

In reality, no one knows what the MSRP for the BMW GT will be......THere is NO 06GT on BMW's website as the 04 GT is still listed as being the current model. And the bike is supposed to be released next month? BWHWAHAHAHAHAHHAHA
My god man, if they can't even keep their website updated, gives question to if their reliability issues are gonna contiinue on 06 models that are so commonly the subject of conversation on the BMW website.....

I'd never own one in a million years!!
Official pricing has been released by BMW and is available on numerous web sites. No, it's not on BMW's main web site yet, but that's not uncommon - most mfgs don't keep their web sites up to date with the latest info that has been released to the dealer channel and is available on other web sites. The FJR is a bit unusual in this regard - becasue of the PDP, Yamaha has to release pricing information very early on their web site so that people can order and wait.

- Mark