Both headlights, at the same time?!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keithq

Reaction score
Got the fun envelope from the Texas DMV the other day, asking for another annual donation. Considering the heat (101+), didn't want to ride too far today. The only Yamaha dealers near me are 15-20 miles east or west but there is another motorcycle dealer within the same zip code and I have used them before when getting inspections over the years. It is the largest Harley Davidson dealer in the state. And interestingly, I always get a nice welcome and am treated like an actual motorcycle rider there by the mechanics and service guys. Last time, when I took the XMAX scooter in for an inspection it was either a slow day or they were bored, but at least 5 employees were looking at the bike and asking questions as they rolled it out form the huge shop in back. Did I like this one? Was it fun to ride? How much storage? One even told me he was a long time Yamaha rider and former racer.

In any case, my 2019 FJR did not pass since both headlights were out. I had no idea. I have read that sometimes both filaments go at the same time for some reason, but with low miles and only 4 years, isn't that a little odd? Running LEDs are fine, as are turn and tail lights. Any thoughts on other causes before I yank them out?

Keith Quigley
Bedford, TX

Got the fun envelope from the Texas DMV the other day, asking for another annual donation. Considering the heat (101+), didn't want to ride too far today. The only Yamaha dealers near me are 15-20 miles east or west but there is another motorcycle dealer within the same zip code and I have used them before when getting inspections over the years. It is the largest Harley Davidson dealer in the state. And interestingly, I always get a nice welcome and am treated like an actual motorcycle rider there by the mechanics and service guys. Last time, when I took the XMAX scooter in for an inspection it was either a slow day or they were bored, but at least 5 employees were looking at the bike and asking questions as they rolled it out form the huge shop in back. Did I like this one? Was it fun to ride? How much storage? One even told me he was a long time Yamaha rider and former racer.

In any case, my 2019 FJR did not pass since both headlights were out. I had no idea. I have read that sometimes both filaments go at the same time for some reason, but with low miles and only 4 years, isn't that a little odd? Running LEDs are fine, as are turn and tail lights. Any thoughts on other causes before I yank them out?

Keith Quigley
Bedford, TX
They often go within hours or days of each other. I can't figure why sometimes OEM bulbs burn out quickly and others last forever. My 2011 still has the original H4's at 160,000 km (100,000 mi). I think I got maybe 60,000 miles out of the OEM on my '07.

Since it was a Harley dealer, they do realize that the FJR has to be running for the headlights to come on ;)
Yeah, we tried it various ways but nothing. The high beam blue light shows on the dash however.

With Steve^^^^ my thoughts too. If something is truly kaput, I think this will be first report of a LED headlight problem.

~G

I agree with the last two posts...

My comments were obviously related to older FJRs with incandescent headlights. Replacing OEM LED lights is not for the faint of heart - have you priced them? I haven't heard of a failure either and I would certainly be looking for another cause than burnt-out units! Fuse, connector, cut wire, etc.

I can't imagine a cut wire but yeah I thought they were LED as well. Might have to ride in to my not so local Yamaha dealer for some troubleshooting. Damn. And I just looked and do not see a bulb...

I can't imagine a cut wire but yeah I thought they were LED as well. Might have to ride in to my not so local Yamaha dealer for some troubleshooting. Damn. And I just looked and do not see a bulb...
Look up the price of a replacement! Not just a bulb...

They often go within hours or days of each other. I can't figure why sometimes OEM bulbs burn out quickly and others last forever. My 2011 still has the original H4's at 160,000 km (100,000 mi). I think I got maybe 60,000 miles out of the OEM on my '07.
I had gotten about 19,000 miles out of my OEM 2004 H4's.

I swapped em both at the same time for LED's. I love them. Hope they last.

Also, LED bulbs make me think about my battery life, may be what I ask for come xmas time.

Well, sort of NOT.
-Steve
At least it was a connector and not the whole unit. Kudos to the tech that found it!
I would have been VERY unhappy if I had to replace it.

Also, LED bulbs make me think about my battery life, may be what I ask for come xmas time.
How old is the battery and how many miles? 12 years plus 160,000 km on my oem...

Last edited:
OP -
If you go to a dealer, ask they check for a loose pin in the connector. Not obvious, when they jam the tester lead in to check continuity, it tightens the pin in the hole.
-Steve

IMG_1638.jpeg

Yes, but not for the reason you think. I had the extended Yamaha warranty, so it was their dime. Actually, I think the dealer was quite happy for this job. Mother Yamaha did not want to replace the headlight unit and let the dealer bill many diagnostic hours. The dealer had the bike for about two weeks. There was not one new unit anywhere in N America, and Yamaha told the dealer it would be 90 days before they could supply a replacement to Canada. Maybe they get them made as required, that might explain the cost. . . .

The tech received some pricey liquid refreshments as a thx.
-Steve

At least it was a connector andnot the whole unit. Kudos to the tech that found it!

How old is the battery and how many miles? 12 years plus 160,000 km on my oem...
I'm not sure the age of the battery when I bought it, but I've bought 2 batteries over the 2 years I've owned it.

Miles are 22k. I'm going to be doing some serious regreasing in next 2 months.

Looking through this thread, I'm not sure where you stand @keithq. Do you have them working now? If not, have you checked the fuse? There is a separate fuse for the LED lighting control units. The control units are attached to the bottom of the headlight assembly and each has two connectors going into them. Make sure those connectors are snug. The fuse for that circuit is located near the bottom of the main fuse panel next to the battery.

Attachments

• Manual_7-34.JPG
    Manual_7-34.JPG
    366.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Manual_7-35.JPG
    Manual_7-35.JPG
    167.1 KB · Views: 0
All bulbs are made to last only x number hours of 'burning', ... so since (usually) both headlights are on at the same time, they will burn out quite close in time. You will find that hi-beams last longer.