Brackets for aux lights

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jazzzzz

Reaction score
I did a search and didn't find anything, so I'm sorry if this has been asked before: are there any bracket kits out there for auxiliary lights that are set up to mount under the mirrors AND space the mirrors up by .5" or more? I've seen a set of brackets like this for the K1200GT that move the mirrors up just enough to give you a view of what's behind you on the road, instead of just your elbows. Since my last FJR was totalled when a young lady rear-ended me, I'm a big fan of seeing what's behind me. I'd rather not swap over to the FZ1 mirrors if I can avoid it - I like the look of the stock set better.

An additional benefit to the spacers for the K1200GT that I've seen is that the added material at the base of the bracket is drilled to allow the wiring harness for your lights to pass through without having to notch/drill the fairing.

I've looked at Garauld's brackets, the ones from FJRGoodies, and Skyway's brackets, and I don't think I've seen what I'm looking for. Does anyone know offhand of a set like I'm describing? If not, could someone with machining experience give me a ballpark on how much it would cost to have something like that fabbed out of aluminum stock?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know of anything that is already out there that fits your description. I was planning on making a set for my bike. I've got another project to finish before I get to that one.

Be sure to post your solution in this thread or PM me.

First, you'd have to determine if the studs can be changed. If they're threaded, no problem. If they're press-fit, that could be an issue.

Second, You'd want to be sure the combo of whatever thickness spacer you design and the mild steel subframe it would bolt through would support the extra force from the wind, at speed.

Third, you MIGHT lose some of the mirrors ability to block the wind that hits your hands.

If the studs are threaded, it should be easy enough to change those and try homemade spacers stacked plastic sheeting until you find the optimum thickness for your experiment. Then any machine shop or handy person with a good set of power tools could countour your rough spacers to a good finish.

I looks like you have a Winter project designing the next NewGen farkle. ;)

I too have thought about how useful such a farkle would be.

If it helps encourage a member to design and fab a few sets, I'd be willing to buy a pair.

I too have thought about how useful such a farkle would be.
If it helps encourage a member to design and fab a few sets, I'd be willing to buy a pair.
First step would be pulling the existing mirrors and answering the questions madmike2 offered up.

Got a digital camera? I'd love to see what they look like and I won't be able to tear into mine for quite a while.

posting images: link 1 link 2

After that we need to talk about what lights we're planning on mounting. Are these going to have to be some sort of universal spacer/mounting block, or is there one light that everyone wants to use?

First step would be pulling the existing mirrors and answering the questions madmike2 offered up.
I have an EMGO, FZ-1 mirror in the garage for an OldGen bike. I went out and tried to rotate the mounting stud with vicegrip pliers. Nope! I didn't spend a lot of time and I don't have a metric stud puller, but it "feels" like these are pressed in. (I have a contractor working in the house, so I'm limited as to when I can spend time to be sure). The OEM mirrors could be different. After that we need to talk about what lights we're planning on mounting.

Are these going to have to be some sort of universal spacer/mounting block, or is there one light that everyone wants to use?
The mirror brackets so close to the same thicknes it shouldn't make much difference. If you choose a replacement stud for the mirrors that leaves you the same relative difference length to account for the spacer thickness, the particular light bracket shouldn't matter.

For instance: I had the PIAA 1100 light kit from CycleGadgets, then switched to the set from Garauld (different lights and brackets) and now I have Soltecks on Skyway brackets. Each combo was attached using the OEM mirrors (either FJR or FZ-1).

As long as you increase the stud length the same amount as the spacer thickness, this idea should work.

Who's going to be the first to get some 1/4" plastic sheeting, stack them 4high (4X1/4=1"), rough cut the stack and burnish with a belt sander...Hmmmm? I seriously doubt 1/2" will be enough distance to substantially affect your view. I'd try 1". The FZ-1 mirrors are about 2" longer thatn the OEMs on the OldGen bikes.

I have an EMGO, FZ-1 mirror in the garage for an OldGen bike. I went out and tried to rotate the mounting stud with vicegrip pliers. Nope! I didn't spend a lot of time and I don't have a metric stud puller, but it "feels" like these are pressed in.
It sounds like you are looking at a spacer only solution. I was thinking that the spacer would also be the light mount. Is your plan to replace the existing studs with longer studs which would go through the new thicker washers and into the existing mounting hardware? That would be simple, and it gets the mirrors out away from the bike. The reason the CycleGadgets, Garauld and Skyway brackets all work with that idea is that they are still being used exactly as they were designed, fitting like spacers. Do I understand all of that correctly? If one didn't already have Skyway brackets, they would need to purchase them?

I went to the Yamaha Sport Parts & Service web page, then clicked on the link to view the online catalog. I don't know how to add a link here for the exploded diagram, and copying it to an image hosting site seemed like it might be frowned upon. Anyway, the list of parts involved is:

As numbered(in the exploded view) // Part Number // Description

81 // 3P6-26280-00-P2 // REAR VIEW MIRROR ASSY (LEFT)

82 // 3P6-26290-00-P2 // REAR VIEW MIRROR ASSY (RIGHT)

83 // 5JW-26298-00-00 // PLATE, MIRROR FITTING 1

84 // 3P6-26299-00-00 // PLATE, MIRROR FITTING 2

85 // 90387-0602X-00 // COLLAR

86 // 95702-06500-00 // NUT, WITH WASHER

(if someone wants to explain how to paste a table, or use the Tab key, I'd appreciate it)

Next I went to Chapter 4, Section 6 of my service Manual. The GenII mirrors have two studs, there is a spacer(fitting 1) between the mirror and the fairing. The studs then extend through what is essentially another spacer(fitting 2) inside the fairing, but this spacer has locating pins that position it to the front cowling stay. The mirror studs extend through all of this [and through some bushings(collars)] and are finally held to the cowling stay with nuts.

I'd like the mirrors out quite a bit more. When I'm riding with others, I'm tucking in elbows and craning my neck to count headlights in the mirrors. It would be nice to just look. That's a pretty tall spacer. What if the nuts hold the mirror studs to the spacer, and the spacer is then attached to the cowling stay? That way we’re talking about modifying fewer parts. Would it still called a spacer?

Sorry this was so wordy. Pictures would help, but I didn't want to take the time to learn the nuances of posting copyrighted material, especially the Yami manual, I know it's a touchy subject.

I understand completely. Lets get a little background out of the way.

The bolt pattern (stud spacing) for both generations is the same. The NewGen has a small collat that Skyway replaces with one a bit shorter so his brackets mount flush onto the nosepiece. Other than that slight difference, the mirrors between the generations will interchange. That's why the FZ-1 farkle works across the board.

NOW we are talking a spacer to elevate the mirror body away from the nosepiece. So, yes, I am talking about a spacer between the mirror base and the nosepiece, just like the Skyway brackets which are only 1/8" so virtually non-effective for the discussion here. That's why I'm of the opinion a 1" spacer, clamped by the new, longer studs, mounting the existing mirrors back onto the nosepiece/subframe is a viable solution.

In my mind, I can see pieces of plastic or nylon sheets rough cut, clamped together and drilled for the bolt (stud) spacing, then trace the shape of the base of the mirror, clamp (or bolt) the spacer plastic together and shape it, using a file, a grinder, dremel tool or a belt sander with an #80 grit belt.

At least that would give a working test of a spacer so someone could bolt it to their bike as a test mule. If it works one could take the spacer to a machine shop and see what they'd charge to mill 2 out of aluminum.

Is this what you had in mind?

mirror_spacer_1.jpg

Egg--zackly!! :clapping:

Fred's post from the VFR site is a great alternative.

In my mind, I don't see many alternatives if one wants to extend the mirrors. Building new housing would be prohibitively expensive. By using a spacer all of the adjustments and the "swing away" features would remain. It would be a "win-win" option for those who will not install FZ-1 mirrors (which is what I have on my '05).

Now, who is going to be the first to install a set and report on vibration or any other issues??? This might be a great farkle for the NewGen bikes.

Egg--zackly!! :clapping:

Fred's post from the VFR site is a great alternative.

In my mind, I don't see many alternatives if one wants to extend the mirrors. Building new housing would be prohibitively expensive. By using a spacer all of the adjustments and the "swing away" features would remain. It would be a "win-win" option for those who will not install FZ-1 mirrors (which is what I have on my '05).

Now, who is going to be the first to install a set and report on vibration or any other issues??? This might be a great farkle for the NewGen bikes.
But to use a spacer, you have to extend the bolts. How are you going to do that?

Alan

But to use a spacer, you have to extend the bolts. How are you going to do that?
Alan
OR...as has been discussed in the posts above (assuming you did read them)

First, you'd have to determine if the studs can be changed. If they're threaded, no problem. If they're press-fit, that could be an issue.
Once that's settled and the original studs are removed, the replacement stud can be ordered and installed. I haven't seen the backside of a NewGen OEM mirror so I don't know how similar it is to the OldGen, so I can't comment.
FredW:

Well, I'm not going to be. I have FZ1 mirrors and I like they way they look and function.
YUP!! Me too....for 4 years now. Someone on the forum has painted their OldGen mirrors the bike color. It helps them "disappear". I'm afraid I'd go with TurboDave on this one: "Function over form!"

All good ideas. And if a spacer is all one is interested in, the stud extenders could be made to work, or the nuts and bushings(collars) could be replaced with flanged, threaded collar; similar to a nut but much taller.

Picture this. Your same spacer with a RAM mount on top (camera mount) and a light mount on the bottom. That's what I was thinking. It could be one piece that utilizes all the existing hardware and nothing more to buy (FZ1 mirrors, Skyway brackets, stud extenders, etc.) and nothing to modify (pulling the studs from the mirrors)

I'll bet those studs are actually inserts in the mold. They could be any shape from an "L" to even a "U". We need someone to X-Ray their mirrors :lol:

I'll bet those studs are actually inserts in the mold. They could be any shape from an "L" to even a "U". We need someone to X-Ray their mirrors :lol:
If I get some time today I will take hacksaw and cut through the mirror I have.

That is exactly the case. I sawed through the head of the insert. I can clearly see the "cap" of the stud insert within the molded mirror base. Hopefully this moves the process forward.

Does that mean the studs can be cut then drilled & tapped, or are you looking at "extensions"? Either way, the discussion has taken the process forward.

I'd like to see someone come up with a working spacer/extension combo first. I'd think that is what most owners would desire. Once proven, any modifications can be made by more creative owners.

Picture this. Your same spacer with a RAM mount on top (camera mount) and a light mount on the bottom. That's what I was thinking.
Again, the test mule will prove whether or not the spacers keep the mirrors steady. 75-80mph winds on those mirrors exert a fairly large stress. The NewGen mirrors are more "sail-like" than the OldGen.

THEN someone could introduce the light brackets to the existing proven spacer/mirror assembly. The RAM mount could be overkill on this addition.

Okay....who's going to "mock-up" and test the first sample?

Again, the test mule will prove whether or not the spacers keep the mirrors steady. 75-80mph winds on those mirrors exert a fairly large stress. The NewGen mirrors are more "sail-like" than the OldGen.
On the VFRs these type of spacers are pretty much SOP, and nobody I know of has ever complained about mirror shake UNLESS they were using Emgo (or some other Asian knock-off) aftermarket mirrors. The spacers are made from either hard plastic or in some cases CNC milled aluminum (paging Mr. Skyway) so they clamp up just as solidly as when in the OE position.

Of course the 2nd Gen mirrors are a bit different than either 1st gen or Honda mirrors so they would need to be tested.

I sawed through the head of the insert.
You truly are a madman! :lol:

Does that mean the studs can be cut then drilled & tapped, or are you looking at "extensions"? Either way, the discussion has taken the process forward.
I'm guessing most people are not going to want to modify the mirrors. Extensions would be easier, more work for the vendor, but the installation would be much easier.

Okay....who's going to "mock-up" and test the first sample?
I'll do the machining, but I won't be able to test it this year. We need a volunteer for that.

... nobody I know of has ever complained about mirror shake UNLESS they were using Emgo (or some other Asian knock-off) aftermarket mirrors.
I seem to remember fjrchick writing about mirror vibration, and she's on a '06. Click

I can make the spacers out whatever we want. Any preferences? Black Delrin or Aluminum that is black anodized sound o.k.? The flanged, threaded collar should work on both GenI and GenII. I'm looking at the Yamaha Sport Parts & Service web page and the base of the GenI mirror seems to be a different shape. Is it curved?

I can make the spacers out whatever we want. Any preferences? Black Delrin or Aluminum that is black anodized sound o.k.? The flanged, threaded collar should work on both GenI and GenII. I'm looking at the Yamaha Sport Parts & Service web page and the base of the GenI mirror seems to be a different shape. Is it curved?
Yes, our OldGen is slightly curved. However, the FZ-1 mirror base isn't curved, nor are Skyway's brackets. Garaulds ARE curved to match the body shape. The only constant is that the stud spacing is the same dimension (though the NewGen spacer is thicker--see this thread.), the mirror bases are different.

If I were you, make a set or two for the NewGen Gen1) bikes only and find some "volunteer" who is able to devote some time into the testing. So make a set from Delrin (keep the pattern in the computer?) and wait for the response. If it all works out then you can offer different materials.

Vibration: Yes, there is a certain vibration in some of the bikes. Its not from wind but seems to be a harmonic from the engine or drivetrain.

You truly are a madman!
Wellll, so I've ben told. Everybody seems to "ask, wonder and guess." I thought I'd actually DO something to further the cause.