Brakes

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well,

Just got the bike back, with the new clutch installed. (under Warranty)

THE SHUTTER IS NOT NORMAL !!

Now it is smooth as glass even if I try to stall it.

You guys who are experiencing the "shutter" should get it fixed.

145 said

It's just killing me, all the problems I read about the bike
Hey 145,

Glad you got the shuttering problem taken care of.

I am only chimming in to say that I have been on many different forums about many different bikes and I have yet to find a forum that doesn't talk about problems people are having with a particular bike. Most forums are just where those people go to discuss problems and try to find the best solution. In your case you may have just taught a few people a thing or two and if twowheelnut takes your advise and it bothers him enough he now knows whether he wants to know or not that he can get it fixed and that is why we are here.

I read many of the things on this forum before I ever decided to buy the fjr knowing that I was going to hate the stock seat (I do) what I can do about it (I did). I read about the vibrations in the throttle and some of the things people have done, inexpensive and expensive solutions. I heard about the ticking but also found that Yamaha in most cases was acknowledging it and fixing it. On the Yamaha 1600 cruiser they had a similar tick and for many years Yamaha didn't acknowledge it and people either lived with it or sold the bike. Here I knew most things coming into this bike and also knew that I could "fix" most of them and were things that with just about any bike you would end up doing something.

On a $17,000 Harley most people don't like the quiet exhaust, no power and the stock seat isn't perfect either. For $3000 dollars you can get more power from edelbrock, depending on who you go with for exhaust to get that Harley sound you are looking at $1000 and the seat well there are tons of people who make seats. So by the time you have done anything to them you are talking $20,000 and they are never going to handle like our fjr's.

That said enjoy your bike.

:rolleyes:

Yeah,

I did alot of reading too, guess it just bugged me having to go thru this crap.

I hope my getting this clutch thing fixed helps some of our FJR brothers and sisters as well.

All in all I love this beast of a machine, and will continue to farkle the hell out of her.

Ed.

Okay, back to my brake problem. After 24 days in the shop, the brakes on my FJR are working fine. It turned out that after about 7,600 miles the front wheel bearings were worn so badly they wouldn't keep the rotors aligned within the brake calipers. The dealer replaced the bearings, rotors, and seals. The reason the repair took so long is when the parts order was submitted to Yamaha, the rotors were back-ordered. Fortunately I had purchased the "YES" plan which covered all expenses. Why the front wheel bearings failed so soon, I have no idea. Possibly the day they were manufactured, wheel bearing grease was in short supply. Who the hell knows. Anyway, life is good once again, but I'm still somewhat bummed that this problem ruined my trip to Parry Sound, Ontario for the annual Sport Bike Rally. I'm glad I didn't sell my 2000 Concours after buying the FJR or else I would have been grounded for the 24 days FJR was in the shop.

-Singleshot-

The Feej has developed somewhat of a reputation for having shit wheel bearings. Part of my oil change regimen is a check for play and roughness in the wheels. Appears if a bad set is in there, they surface rather early in life.

Rider Error???? I've ridden many a bike over the last 25 or so years so please don't insult me like that.
So that normal  whirring noise in the brakes is caused by what?? Sorry if I seem to have an attitude, I'll get over it.

It's just killing me, all the problems I read about the bike.
No one's insulting anyone other than you flinging around your anger.

Every bike is different. The FJR doesn't like to run at slow speeds with the clutch feathered like some bikes do. Get on the gas a little more and don't linger in the friction zone as long and see if your "problem" turns out to be just one of the ways this bike is different than the other elebentyseben you've owned over the past 25 years.

BTW: Is that 25 years experience or 1 year's experience repeated 25 times?

(hint: THAT was a dig when nothing else in this thread has been)

You asked a question and people contributed a lot of good information based on their experiences. Many of those people have much more than 25 years experience and with many different types of bikes.

My brakes have a normal sound that, as best as I can describe, sounds like cicadahs in the summer. Very noticable when hard on the brakes. Always been that way. Never anything wrong. Just part of the FJR that is different than my last 4 or 5 bikes.

Remember that most of the "problems" you have read about the bike are either way overblown or, like "the tick", are serious but not universal and are being addressed by Yamaha.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bounce,

Thanks for your wonderful insight to my riding skills and experience.

It appears you haven't read this part of the thread.

Well,

Just got the bike back, with the new clutch installed. (under Warranty)

THE SHUTTER IS NOT NORMAL !!

Now it is smooth as glass even if I try to stall it.

You guys who are experiencing the "shutter" should get it fixed.

Shudder-

shudder_sml.jpg

Shutter-

interior-shutter.jpg

My "shutter" is warped from the sunlight while my "shudder" is warped from sitting with no lubrication. :D :D :D

Hey 145hp if you only knew how much time I spend on www.dictionary.com making sure I get words with same pronunciation different spelling etc you would also know that I am only busting your chops. Nothing else intended :D

Thanks for your wonderful insight to my riding skills and experience.
Geeze. Spend tons of time working on a balanced response that addresses many different things and get my balls busted over the wise crack at the first.

@145HP: While it's sometimes disturbing to read here about all the problems, it is often helpful that the problems are documented here. And yes, 10 or 20 people writing about wheel bearings is a fairly low failure rate compared to the number of bikes. As Radman suggested, just someting to keep an eye on. Doesn't mean the bike is a POS.

My '05 had the shudder in the clutch, and I found it quite disturbing. Folks here recommended getting through the first oil change before passing judgement, and doing a few hard launches to break in the clutch. I did as suggested, and after 2000 miles passed I was no longer able to detect any problem at all. I'm not saying the same would have been true for you. It's likely that whatever fairly minor problem causes the shudder varies a bit from bike to bike. Some may require dealer service, while others may not.

Geeze. Spend tons of time working on a balanced response that addresses many different things and get my balls busted over the wise crack at the first.
I am guilty of assuming everyone shares, or at least appreciates, my warped sense of humour. They don't, but thats ok. If everyone was my pal, that would indicate I can be all things to all people, which would mean I was a non-person, with no opinions other than those of the people I happen to with at the moment. Don't get me wrong, it would be great if no one got their feathers ruffled due to things I say, but I also assume that people know that I love to screw around, probe and dig for humour in everything I confront in life, as it is the only way I can cope. I never mean to insult, but it can seem that way. Some people just have to be so serious, and fail to see beyond the percieved slight, that it saddens me. If all would just loosen up a tad, things would and could be so much more fun. You said good stuff Bounce, he just doesn't seem to wanna get beyond the initial perception, and the rest didn't matter anymore, or so it would seem.

I am guilty of assuming everyone shares, or at least appreciates, my warped sense of humour. They don't, but thats ok. If everyone was my pal, that would indicate I can be all things to all people, which would mean I was a non-person, with no opinions other than those of the people I happen to with at the moment. Don't get me wrong, it would be great if no one got their feathers ruffled due to things I say, but I also assume that people know that I love to screw around, probe and dig for humour in everything I confront in life, as it is the only way I can cope. I never mean to insult, but it can seem that way. Some people just have to be so serious, and fail to see beyond the percieved slight, that it saddens me. If all would just loosen up a tad, things would and could be so much more fun. You said good stuff Bounce, he just doesn't seem to wanna get beyond the initial perception, and the rest didn't matter anymore, or so it would seem.
I thought that class was tomorrow... :unsure:

I thought that class was tomorrow... unsure.gif
Nope. Been put off for a few weeks by the Supreme Decision Makers. Either giving me enough rope, or it's a realization that I might poison the instructor and fellow harrassers and bring some sanity to the campus. Nahhhhh, gotta be the former... :D

How True,

I can be a typical hot headed Irishman that reads the first line of a comment and just sees red.

I love the bike, forum, and I'm sure I will get to know everyones sense of humor.

Thanks for all the responses, and sorry Singleshot, I seemed to have stole your thread.