Breaking in new tires

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rolavine

Reaction score
I just got a new rear tire and did my normal break in thing with it. I realized no one ever told me the best way to do this and that what I do just seemed to make sense.

I took the rural route to work so there are very few cars and I rode serpentines whenever possible trying to grind offt any slippery compounds from the tire while getting to the sides of the tread.

what do you do?

I did a quick google and didn't find a common approach.

If this has been disussed here before, sorry I couldn't find it with the search.

belt sander? Makes erasing any chicken strips really easy, too! :rolleyes:

There have been some threads about this. Some spend time sanding or abraiding the tire by hand before riding. I just ride a little bit more cautiously for the first 100 miles or so. By that time I've forgotton I've got a new tire and go back to riding the way I always do!

:rolleyes:

Just ride like an adult. After 50 miles: ride like you're 20 years old!!!!!! It keeps me young at heart.

There have been some threads about this. Some spend time sanding or abraiding the tire by hand before riding. I just ride a little bit more cautiously for the first 100 miles or so. By that time I've forgotton I've got a new tire and go back to riding the way I always do!
:rolleyes:
+1.

Had a new rear put on at EOM. After riding from Freedom back to the hotel (~80-ish miles), the next morning we went on the 2-up group ride. THAT got the tire scuffed in.

Now I'm scuffing in my new PR2's before SFO...

FYI... I was joking about the belt sander.

Thanks for the link.

I think I'll just do what I've been doing, the slow serpentines on the rural roads building to more lean.