Bridgestones Suck

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No 021's for me but they make one hell of a cruiser tire in the Spitfire S11. Darn things last forever. The OEM Dunlops lasted 7k...I now have 16k on the S11's and the look like they were just installed. 25k does not look unrealistic at all. I wont touch their tires for the FJR or my car though.

I have about 3500 on my 021 (rear) and I really like it so far. On the other hand, I had a set of PR's that I HATED and couldn't wait to get off of my bike.

To each his (or her) own.

I love the way the BT's handle but they sure don't last.

I'm on my 2nd set of Metzler ME880 front and rear.

Got 10,000 miles out of the first set and thats mostly brisk backroad/mtn in GA summer.

Steve

BT-021's transformed my FJR from a Summo wrestler into a ballet dancer.

How long they last is immaterial and moot to how well they handle.

They're relatively inexpensive and I will gladly replace them more frequently

just to avoid the truck-like handling I had with the longer lasting Z6's

I don't know...I kinda like my BT021's so far...abt 2000 miles. But, if they peter out in another 500 miles or so, I may not like them so much.

I guess each one of us needs to decide if we want performance or distance...not sure you can have both...but maybe a compromise of the two? Of course, that assumes all other factors, like quality control, are equal...Avon! Are you listening??

I for one would like to go back to Avon Azaros but, right now, I just don't trust the Storms.

My next set of tires will probably be the PR2's...or maybe another set of BT021's.

BTW, what does Mama Yamma recommend for the '08 model year?

I don't know...I kinda like my BT021's so far...abt 2000 miles. But, if they peter out in another 500 miles or so, I may not like them so much.
I guess each one of us needs to decide if we want performance or distance...not sure you can have both...but maybe a compromise of the two? Of course, that assumes all other factors, like quality control, are equal...Avon! Are you listening??

I for one would like to go back to Avon Azaros but, right now, I just don't trust the Storms.

My next set of tires will probably be the PR2's...or maybe another set of BT021's.

BTW, what does Mama Yamma recommend for the '08 model year?
Mine came with BT021's. According to Nick at D&H, Yamaha released 1/2 with Metz Z6's, 1/2 with the 'Stones.

The BT020s I started with were great, rock solid. But then I went to the 021s and they never felt planted. I slid the front tire more than a few times, luckily never completely losing the front end. I did get about 5k on them though. But I then put on PRs and we are back to being rock solid. Will look at either Avons or stay with the PRs. The PR2s are just too pricey.

Got about 7k out of my OEM stones but they seemed like they never got planted, trust issues in the corners. Put on Pilot Power E2c's on last fall and they are unbelievable - but not sure how the long they will last. They are dual compound so that should be good.

To each his (or her) own.
Bingo.

I love my 021s, too. I have always rode with Bridgestones when I had my choice and they've been the all-around best, hands down. I found that those Dunlops are real soft and go flat if they even see a paperclip on the shoulder. The Metzlers that my bike came with weren't bad, but all the horror stories there made me nervous.

Last edited by a moderator:
Me 4,

I am onto the PR2's next(group buy) and won't be trying any Bridgestones till at least the BT'22's are out...

Hey Toe, when are they gonna start getting shipped??

WW

Hmmm....I got a total of 2800 miles on 021's ( about 1500 on the FJR and around 1300 when I had my SV1KS ) and I love the way the fell and handle. If they wear out quickly, meh, I'll buy another set. I will NOT buy a set of the Diablo Stradas again. Those skins made me feel very nervous. Then again, considereing the types of roads I have to ride here, my tires will prolly chew up quickly. :rolleyes:

I think most would really like the PR2CTs as far as wear. I have over 7k on the rear with plenty more to go, A record for me . . . . .
WOW :eek:

..... continuing with the pointless never ending threadjack ....

I've read that the PR2CTs actually have a harder compound in the center of the tire than the conventional PRs ..... Is this true ?

If so, than I think I'll give them a try.

(sorry to repeat myself) .... my first set of PRs only gave me 2500 miles ( with ..... ahem .... spirited riding ) :huh:

And back to the point, your 7000 miles .... do you frequently ride at sustained high speeds ?

- on a closed race course .... of course ... ;)

I have had good luck with Bridgestones. The OEM tires ( 020s ) lasted 8.6 K miles , When I changed them they both had 2MM of tread left.

I installed Bridgestone 021 tires and now have 6K miles on them and this is the tread I have left.

New 6K miles

Front 4 mm 3mm

Rear 6 mm 3 mm

It looks like the 020s are going to last me longer than the 021 so I just ordered a new pair of 020s.

I ride an 07 FJR.

My .02

Mac

I have just over 4k on my 020's and the rear is gonna need replaced real soon. I don't have any cupping on the front tire and it is wearing really well. They have had pretty good grip and I lean pretty hard. My complaint is the low mileage out of the rear and the fact that both tires skip around (Slide) on the little tar snakes that are all over our canyon roads. They always seem to catch the pavement but the movement makes me nervous. The other day, I ended up riding a BMW F800ST fitted with the PR2's. Rode the same road with the tar snakes, but those Michelins never skipped or slid at all. I know it was a totally different bike weight wise, but the PR2's just felt much more planted. I pushed that bike pretty hard and the difference was amazing. By the time I got back from that ride, I was sold on the Michelins. It will be the PR2's from now on.

I didn't have much choice as I needed a tire and my local dealer didn't have any Avons, so I got the BT021R and have put 5K miles on them and they still look like new. I have no issue with them.

How does this happen?

I've never had a tire that looked like new after 5k miles on any bike, never mind a ~600lb bike with beau coup torque...

I have just over 5K on my 021's, and I would say I am less than 1/2 way through the tread. I just have to assume that riding style, and the type of road surfaces you ride are HUGE factors in tire wear.

Back to Bridgestones...

Since the BT021 fronts suck (mine won't live past 3k; Ashe reports very uneven & short life), and the BT020 rears crap out quickly, what about mixing them?

20's up front, 21's on the rear?