Buy a 2005 or 2006?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GordoS

Reaction score
Greetings -

I am real close to buying a used FJR. Right now I've got two bikes lined up, a 2005 w/ ABS and 18K miles (and a few "farkles" - heated frips, VStream screen) and a stock 2006 A w/ 8100 miles. I have researched and researched and understand the "technical" differences & issues between the 05 & 06. I also notice that while the 2006 fixed the 2004/05 heat & tick issues, it also introduced altitude & ignition switch issues. The price diff is about $1900 between the two ($7100 vs $9000) so the questions really come down to opinion of value, and since I have no experience in this area, I need some help.

Does the 10000 miles matter? I''ll be using it for a daily commuter, adding about 40 miles a day.

Are the updates between the two years "worth" $1900? Like the linked brakes, cockpit, gauges (I like the gear indicator), skinnier, etc.

I have a "shorter" inseam at 30 inches (I'm 5-8). I have yet to throw a leg over the 2005, since it is about 1.5 hours away, but while the "low" seat setting on the 2006 doesn't get me "flat footed" it is close enough to be comfortable. Tech specs say the 2005 is an inch or so taller than the 2006 "low" -- how noticable is this? I demoed a 2004 with a Corbin seat, and that seemed to fit well - how would a stock 2005 fit compared to this?

Thanks, Gordon

Greetings -I am real close to buying a used FJR. Right now I've got two bikes lined up, a 2005 w/ ABS and 18K miles (and a few "farkles" - heated frips, VStream screen) and a stock 2006 A w/ 8100 miles. I have researched and researched and understand the "technical" differences & issues between the 05 & 06. I also notice that while the 2006 fixed the 2004/05 heat & tick issues, it also introduced altitude & ignition switch issues. The price diff is about $1900 between the two ($7100 vs $9000) so the questions really come down to opinion of value, and since I have no experience in this area, I need some help.

Does the 10000 miles matter? I''ll be using it for a daily commuter, adding about 40 miles a day.

Are the updates between the two years "worth" $1900? Like the linked brakes, cockpit, gauges (I like the gear indicator), skinnier, etc.

I have a "shorter" inseam at 30 inches (I'm 5-8). I have yet to throw a leg over the 2005, since it is about 1.5 hours away, but while the "low" seat setting on the 2006 doesn't get me "flat footed" it is close enough to be comfortable. Tech specs say the 2005 is an inch or so taller than the 2006 "low" -- how noticable is this? I demoed a 2004 with a Corbin seat, and that seemed to fit well - how would a stock 2005 fit compared to this?

Thanks, Gordon
I own an '05 and would not hesitate to buy another one.

That said, given what you describe above I would choose to buy the '06.

10k miles is not a big problem as these bikes will run hundreds of thousands of miles. But it is worth something, especially if you plan to keep the bike for a long time. A model year newer is worth something. And the fixes that the 2nd gen provide are worth something. All of this adds up to more than $2k value in my books.

The altitude issue and the ignition switch problem are both fixed for free under Yamaha recall. And a cheap and easy to install Brodie relay is simply good insurance.

One thing that you did not mention was whether the '06 has YES coverage.

I'd try to talk the '06 guy down a little. It is priced a bit high with no farkles or accessories, considering you can buy a new leftover bike in dealerships for just over 10k and then for ~$400 get 5 years of YES coverage on that.

Faced with getting a 3 year old used '06 for $9k or a new leftover for about another grand, well...

Not that I'm biased, but I would go with the 06 model. The switch and altitude issues you mentioned are all FREE recall fixes. I've not riden an 05 model, but to me, the lower miles and a newer generation bike is worth the extra dollars.

Not sure where you are, but there is a guy on here (Mike25) living in Detroit with a well farkled 06. Clicky

Good luck,

Smoke

Last edited by a moderator:
The 10,000 miles probably won't matter on an FJR. These bikes are rock solid, and you will be unlikely to have major issues as long as the bike was cared for.

It's kinda a toss up, if you have the cash, just go for the 06. If the money is a big issue for you, the 05 is still a great bike, and you will be happy.

Having worked on both a GENI and GENII, I can tell you that if you do your own maint. work, a GENI is a little easier to work on. Little things like getting caliper's on/off are a bit more difficult on a GENII. Removing fairings, a few more screws that are a PITA on the GENII. Overall more similar than different.

Corbin seats actually tend to be wider, and when I put mine on it was harder to reach the ground. I also have a 30" inseem and all i can say is, be careful!!! Once an FJR starts to go over, there is little you can do to stop it. Frame sliders good!

At least color isn't a deciding factor!

Where do you live/ride? The 2006 emits far less heat back onto the rider than a 2005. If you live down in an area of the country where it gets hot then that one difference between the 2005 and the 2006 could be the one that makes your decision for you. If you live up north then you might actually welcome the heat from the 2005.

I'd go with a C14. Everyone knows they are superior to the Yammi in all respects.

I own an '05 and would not hesitate to buy another one.
That said, given what you describe above I would choose to buy the '06.

Faced with getting a 3 year old used '06 for $9k or a new leftover for about another grand, well...
I have an '05 and agree with FredW. While the engines can be expected to go for many more miles, other stuff on the 18K '05 bike is due or is coming due for some expensive service and/or replacement. Also, you would still have the possibility of a ticker (probably a free repair from Yammi, but a major one and can have the bike in a shop for weeks).

Both prices sound a bit high to me, but I haven't shopped prices in a long time. I paid $10K in '05 for a pristine '05 with only 500 miles on the clock.

Thanks for the quick replies. I live in Northern Viginia, so hot & humid in the summer, cold in the winter (and I ride as much as possible if there is no precip.) Staying warm is not much of an issue, I've got full insulated gear, but staying cool during the summer can be a trick. I try to do my own (basic) wrenching as much as possible, and I had not even thought there might be diffrerences, so thanks fo that feedback. I'll ask about the YES.

keithaba (nice picture BTW) you mention the Corbin is wider -- is there an aftermarket shorter not wider?

Thanks for pointing out the ads -- I am not sure I want to go with an AE -- seems like it takes some of the fun out of the ride, and the only one I've used one I've seen locally is asking another $1K, too much for the pot. I haven't seen any leftover bikes at Va/Md/DC dealers, is there a "master database" somewhere that tracks these?

cheers,

Gordon

I'd go with a C14. Everyone knows they are superior to the Yammi in all respects.

Rad's right folks. The C14 gives you more of everything.

More heat, bigger exhaust cans and many more testarosa styling fins, more opportunities to fill the tank, more face time with your friendly service shop for leaving much more of your money on valve adjustments.

Hey... What more could you ask for?

:lol:

I bought an '05 because the deal was too compelling to ignore. That said, I wish I would've bought an '06 for all the reasons stated by others. Love my '05, but would rather have had the improvements made in that new year.

Funny you should mention the C14 -- kinda what started me down this road looking at STs. The local Craigslist actually has an 2008 for $9800, but it doesn't fit as well, and I understand while they are great in a straight line, the FJR manuveurs better.

Funny you should mention the C14 -- kinda what started me down this road looking at STs. The local Craigslist actually has an 2008 for $9800, but it doesn't fit as well, and I understand while they are great in a straight line, the FJR manuveurs better.
I dont want to follow the lead of those that tried to hijack your thread with C14 comments - however - the guys that have both the C14 and the FJR usually feel that the C14 handles better in addition to having more power. Both the FJR and C14 are very nice bikes with each having some strengths over the other. Since your shopping, you should test ride them all.

mmonroe -

any information is good information, thanks. The bunker buster for the C14 is the "oldest" I can get is a 2008, which means more $$$. And I can't find anyplace to test ride one -- why is it only BMW dealers allow test rides? Now I'm hijacking my own thread... :glare:

Just noticed I'm a "FNG"...

that's "funny new guy", right?

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought my 2006A last November for what I consider a pretty good deal...$8100 with a Givi rack & trunk(about a $500 farkle) and 11,500 miles from a fellow forum member.

I think you can do much better on price, that way you'll have the extra money for items you want (Seats can get pretty expensive).

On a side note.. Are you famliar with:

https://www.cycletrader.com/

This is an awesome resource for pricing and finding motorcycles. I saved big bucks on my last motorcycle by calling dealerships and finally finding the bike I wanted at the right price on that web site.

I had to drive 500mi but finally got the bike here from Scott Johnson:

https://www.hondaeasttoledo.com/

It was the best motorcycle buying experience I have ever had. They sell Kawi, Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki and others. I would buy another bike from Scott in a hearbeat and still comumicate with him via e-mail on bikes. You should at least give him a call and talk to him about prices and leftovers. You are close enough to make a weekend trip up there like I did. Tell Scott that MarkM from North Carolina says Hi.