Buying A Bike On The Internet = Ripoff

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BBIII

Reaction score
On the Internet on cycletrades.com I found an '04 FJR 1300 ABS for $4200.00 in "Frisco" [they hate that, those sensitive types there] it is still there. I think they are hoping you mis-typed cycletrader.com

Anyway to make a long story kinda short, I traded emails with David John, who would not give me his cell, home or work number so we could talk because he was selling this bike through an escrow service and "didnt have time to show it to everyone who wanted to see it".

After 10 e-mails from me that I'm interested during a 2 week period I suddenly get the e-mail version of a used car salesman who insisted on using an escrow service to buy his bike.

I thought this was strange, and maybe this guy was super rich and could afford to "dump" a bike he had ridden a few times.

Then he started pursiing me via email to buy this bike...every email was "so do we have a deal". Like a 16 year old virgin prom queen eventually I said yes and my dress almost came off.

He said to establish a user name @ internet.paysafe.com and he would start the transaction. So like a 17 year old prom queen I did just that and sent him my user ID. ( I gave them the best years of my life, including my SS# - those bastards)

The next instructions were to wire him money to his "randomly selected non-involved escrow service partner" in London, UK.

Luckily I work nights sometimes and this just smelled like a dirty ol fish boat. I found that once you wire money to another country the AAA, FBI, CIA, DHS and any other bunch of initials you can come up with can't help you at all and you have been had.

I gracefully backed out of the deal by telling the jackass known as [email protected] to eat my $hit and die.

Please don't let this happen to you or anyone you know.

BB III

BTW: That kitty that I selected as my avatar has very sharp claws.

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds like you may have bailed out just in time. Keep a close eye for any transactions in the next few weeks that you didn't make. Those con artists are really quick and clever. :angry:

If you gave your SS# you had better be prepared to defend your identity. This is a scam that plays out in many different forms but it is a scam for sure. You might think about putting a lock on with the credit rating services. Check with one of you credit card companies just how to do this. With your SS# and some other vital info this person can apply for credit using your name and SS# and you will be in deep DODO.

Warning bells all over!

Won't talk on the phone? Clang!

Price too good to be true? Clang!

Escrow service (given the other stuff)? Clang!

Overseas not revealed instantly? Clang, clang, clang, clang!!!!

We have a winner folks!

I sold 2 bikes over the internet. Worked out just fine. None of THOSE things were going on...I got my $$$, the buyers got their bikes.

Last edited by a moderator:
s/s number you got to be kidding ....... call the banks and c/c people and let them know right away about this matter pronto . escrow / s/s number forgettabboutt it .let the internet site also no about this but i bet they allready do. if you go on ebay right now you wil see at least 50 bikes going for almost nothing its all a scam . 30 k harley for 3k . just one example .

You can actually contact the three credit bureaus directly to request credit watch on your reports. Last fall I noticed several wierd things on my credit card statement like AOL accounts and some e-commerce that were not my own.

The credit bureaus were very nice about it, essentially blocking the credit lines until I called in or they called me to verify the purchase, etc.

And glad you smelled the stink of that scam!

Oh, man, this send chills up my spine. BE CAREFUL out there, BBIII! It's a freaking jungle loaded with all kinds of snakes. Let everyone who has something to do with your credit and your money (i.e. banks, credit union, etc.) know what happened. That you social number is out there somewhere is really scary.

I'm sure you learned something for your trouble. Good luck.

Let everyone who has something to do with your credit and your money (i.e. banks, credit union, etc.) know what happened. That you social number is out there somewhere is really scary.
I'm sure you learned something for your trouble. Good luck.
Credit agencies, banks, etc. all contacted before I told David Johns to byte me. Thanks for your concern.

Call any one of the three major credit reporting agencies and report credit fraud. They all report to each other. I don't think fraud has to have actually happened to make a report. What it will do is cause the credit folks to call you at your telephone number to confirm that you have applied for credit before they approve any applications for credit. Could save you a lot of porblems down the road. You don't know when you might see a problem as often times these guys sell the information to other crooks.

Sheesh, scammers abound on the intenet. Anyway they can scam, a few bucks to a few thousand, it will be tried...

However I've purchased 2 bikes on eBay, both were a good deal and went off with no problems, probably 'cause both of us involved were careful and checked each other out. Also using Paypal and wire transferring money (to a US bank) is secure and traceable.

Hope you avoid any long hassles from the info you shared...

Anyone who's advertising a bike over the internet for _less_ than what they could get if they just dropped it off at a dealer is scamming. Think about it, why would you go through the hassle.