California Scientific for an 05?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrisk7

Reaction score
Has anyone tried one of the California Scientific windshields on an 05 yet?

I'm thinking of buying the medium +2.75" size one and was wondering how people liked it.

I assume that it is +2.75" over the stock 05 height not the 03 height?

Weren't the 03's a bit shorter than the 04 and 05's?

I've got a CalSci medium for my '05. Like it alot, but living where I do, I found I don't get enough airflow around it to help me stay cool in the hotter months, so I'm using the stocker in the summer, and the CalSci in the fall/winter.

I can get a nice steady calm zone with the shield slightly raised, and can see over the screen unless it's 2/3 or more up. It's a lot bigger than the stock screen in width too... which reduces a great deal of the buffeting on your arms and shoulders.

Got it, luv it (CalSci Tall). However, it has to come off now for the summer, as I definetly need more airflow to stay cool.

BTW, it is 2" taller than my Yamaha tall shield, which I believe was 2" over stock. Also, beware at high speeds, you may bust it off. I have to back-off at 120, because it is flexing back so much I'm afraid I'm going to break it clean off.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a medium, I'm 5'9" and it's the perfect height.

Up North I use it year round.

Chris

I have a 2005 and the California Scientific Tall windshield. I'm 6'5"" and it works pretty well. There is no backpressure. It's less noisy than the Cee Bailey +4 Tall + 3 Wide that I already had but still not completely quiet. On hot days I just leave the sheild all the way down ( hits me mid- chest) and keeps me cool enough, the vent holes help airflow. All the way up the Cal Sci is around the bottom of my nose. I still wear earplugs most of the time.

Weclome to the world of aftermarket windshields, none of them are perfect but they all are better than stock.

If you want a completely quiet ride, the top of the windshield should be at the middle of your nose. However, at this height you will burn up in the summer and fog your faceshield in the winter. .

Jayke

I have recently installed the Cal Sci Tall shield on my '05. I'm 6'0" /32" inseam. I also have a Rifle touring shield.

As far as I can tell the Cal Sci shield lets a bit more air circulate around it's narrower sides, as well through the center ports to cool you off a bit more than the barn door-like Rifle. The Rifle is much wider and thicker than the Cal Sci and is quiter, when fully raised, without the tuning bar. The Cal Sci, when fully raised, sounds a bit like a flag snapping on a windy day, unless I duck down a couple of inches. There is less buffeting than the Rifle, but it is not totally absent. I did notice that rain flows upward on the inside of the screen as well as the outside surfaces. This necessitates cleaning both sides of the screen regularly.

I actually find the Rifle quieter than the Cal Sci at times, since it has a large quite zone of still air behind it.

On a really hot day, however... you need the cooling breeze!

I think that a Rifle Touring screen with Cal Sci type pressure relief ports may be a great combination. I like quite air on long highway rides since I am not fond of wearing ear plugs (safety reasons), if at all possible.

I am very interested in people's experience with the new VStream.

I just got my California Scientific Tall for my 04. I believe the 04 and 05 windshields are the same size, which are 2" taller than the 03. California Scientific advertises the medium as 2.75” over the stock and the Tall as 4.5” over stock. I didn’t measure that exactly but you can see in the following pictures that the tall is easily 4.5” over my 04 stock. This thing is big. I do remember reading the term "Barn Door" in some previous posts about the California Scientific Tall windshield and I agree. I’m 6 feet with a stock seat and Gen Mar bar risers. I’ve only been on a couple of 20 mile freeway rides to check it out, one each with and without a Rifle tuning block installed. The first thing I noticed on my first ride without the tuning block was that I had gotten on the freeway and I still had the face shield of my Arai up. I usually pull it up when I put my helmet on but if I forget to put it down when I take off the wind closes it for me in the first 100 meters or less. This time, with the windshield all the way down, I had driven the two miles or so to the freeway and went a couple of miles on the freeway before I realized my face shield was still up. It’s funny but things were actually quieter with the shield up than after I put it down. With it down I heard more of a higher pitched whistling type of sound that is more obnoxious than with the face shield up. I could only raise the windshield a couple of inches before I was looking through it. Looking through the windshield is not something I plan on doing. It wasn’t a problem as the windshield was very clear, especially since it is brand new. Backpressure was practically non existent both with and without the tuning block. Buffeting was much less than the stock plus the Laminar Lip. I’m still undecided about the tuning block. It would be better in hot weather since the wind comes straight in your face with the windshield all the way down. I think a compromise between the angles with and without the tuning block would be better. I thought the comparison pictures between the stock, CB and V-Stream windshields posted by Duff were very informative. https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=8614

I tried to get similar pictures showing my previous setup (stock windshield with a Laminar Lip) versus the California Scientific Tall windshield and also the stock windshield alone versus the California Scientific Tall windshield. It’s easy to tell why I’ll never be confused with a real photographer but hopefully these will provide some perspective to anyone interested.

Stock 04 with a Laminar Lip on top of Cal Sci Tall

a77bb651.jpg

Stock 04 on top of Cal Sci Tall

f8092cd7.jpg

Last edited:
I put the tall on my 05 and it was a great improvement over stock. I'm 5'11" with 32 inseam, and the only way I liked it was all the way down. Could never see me using the adjustment. Called Mark at cal sci and he made a hell of a deal on an exchange. He didn't have to, but wanted only happy customers. We traded for the medium and I am now a happy camper. Today will be 100 degrees and I will ride with it all the way down for max air. If I want it a little quieter then I move it up a couple of inches and can still look over it. Nothing but great things to say about Mark and Cal Sci.

Thanks guy's, a buddy of mine has the new 06 bike with the tall California Scientific shield and it is just a bit too much window for me.

I think I will go with the shorter (med) California Scientific. I also machined a block that is like the Rifle block to lower the shield on top and it works good. I think for me it will be just about what I'm looking for with the medium California Scientific shield.

Now if I could just figure out how to quiet down the Arai helmet without taping the whole thing shut. :D

I have a Starcom intercom system and it works great but once in a while in windy conditions we get some air noise that comes through the speakers.

I've only used it once so far on a 400 mile trip so I'm still getting used to the settings on the mic and VOX controls.

Seems like I have the VOX completely turned off right now.

Does anyone sell the Cal Sci shields besides them? Like a dealer?

I had the Cal Sci tall screen on my '05. It was a big improvement over the stocker ( short ) and the CB +4+3 I also had. Then I went to the VStream and this has proven to be the best of the bunch, FOR ME.

There so many variables that influence the performance of a wind screen that it is almost fruitless to say which one is best for the masses. A person's body shape, riding position and even helmet choice can have a big impact on how a screen performs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the Cal Sci tall screen on my '05. It was a big improvement over the stocker ( short ) and the CB +4+3 I also had. Then I went to the VStream and this has proven to be the best of the bunch, FOR ME.There so many variables that influence the performance of a wind screen that it almost fruitless to say which one is best for the masses. A person's body shape, riding position and even helmet choice can have a big impact on how a screen performs.
What size CalSci sheild did you have? Medium? wanna sell it?