Calling adventure bike owners

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any KTM 500 EXC riders? Looking for ideas for racks, nothing yet I liked.

Probably fab something. Next is a bigger gas tank.

Kind of reversing my tack. FJR with a trailer, big stuff.

KTM, going minimalist.

I have a KTM530 and my brother has the newer 500. Same bike, same displacement, but the 500 is fuel injected. No racks on those bikes, as we've pulled off the mirrors and signals and ride the shit out of them. Carry stuff in a hydration pack.

We both have desert tanks, and they make long days worry free.

Frig...I THINK mine is 3.5 and his is 3.1. I've never run mine out and filled it and Patch doesn't remember. We suck...Sorry.

Gaza, ain't nothing wrong with that road on an FJR. You don't need an adv bike for gravel roads, though it is nicer to ride. I thought you were thinking more like this:
P1060059.jpg

wabdr8.jpg

P1050010.jpg

Oh...I didn't know your SO was reading over your shoulder. ahem. That looks like a very bad road for an FJR, you need to get a new Adv bike before you crash and die on that POS FJR.
^^^ This is the adventure riding I had in mind when I bought my DR650 (beside the chewed up gnarly back roads + dirt and gravel fire roads). I love it so much that I rode my FJR twice from May to Sept. The lighter the better in my book (for real offroad) and if I had a larger ADV bike, I would not need the FJR but would still need the DR for more serious trail work (and still be good on the street). The large ADV bike that gets me worked up is the new Honda Africa Twin... https://magazine.cyclenews.com/i/723849-cycle-news-2016-issue-35-september-7 starting on pg. 96.

I got a S10 and now kind of wished i went lighter with a F800 or something to that effect. I still use the FJR for LD touring because it is smooth and comfy, but the S10 is now used primarily for adv-commuting to work.

Not having many trail roads in IL contributes heavily to the Tenere not being used as intended.

I'm in the same boat. I'm looking for an off road bike as well. I'm looking for something lighter than the super T and BMW GS bikes. I'm looking more at the WR450, CRF450 and KTM 450XCW bikes. I want something that does off road as well as the FJR does on road.

I'm in the same boat. I'm looking for an off road bike as well. I'm looking for something lighter than the super T and BMW GS bikes. I'm looking more at the WR450, CRF450 and KTM 450XCW bikes. I want something that does off road as well as the FJR does on road.
I'm thinking this comparison is more like what an R1 does on road. You guys shopping for the 450's must be better riders than most because the average guy (me included) cannot ride those bikes to their full potential (uncorked). My wife bought Aflac on me so I think she sees dirt riding as an investment.
weirdsmiley.gif

I'm thinking this comparison is more like what an R1 does on road. You guys shopping for the 450's must be better riders than most because the average guy (me included) cannot ride those bikes to their full potential (uncorked). My wife bought Aflac on me so I think she sees dirt riding as an investment.
weirdsmiley.gif
Comparing large ADV bikes to those 450s is night and day. Highly skilled riders can take big ADV bikes where few dare tread but if a mere mortal wants to do more serious dirt riding the 250-500s are the tool. I'm with you, a 250 is more bike than my off road skill could fully tap.

I'm thinking this comparison is more like what an R1 does on road. You guys shopping for the 450's must be better riders than most because the average guy (me included) cannot ride those bikes to their full potential (uncorked). My wife bought Aflac on me so I think she sees dirt riding as an investment. :weirdsmiley:
Comparing large ADV bikes to those 450s is night and day. Highly skilled riders can take big ADV bikes where few dare tread but if a mere mortal wants to do more serious dirt riding the 250-500s are the tool. I'm with you, a 250 is more bike than my off road skill could fully tap.
I wouldn't say I am a highly skilled off road rider at all that's why I'm not looking for a large ADV bike. I do believe in having the right tool for the job.