Can Garmin Mapsource CD be used without unlock code?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvtoride

My Indian name is "Pants On Fire"
Reaction score
Hey, trying to sell a Garmin GPS that I was given. It has a Mapsource CD with the package. Can the CD be used without an unlock code?

The maps would be severely outdated on that CD. New map subscriptions are not very expensive, and for my older GPS unit (Streetpilot), I create maps in BaseCamp and unlock them using a small program called Gimgunlock.exe

The entire program is only 114K in size, and it is used by dragging a locked mapset onto the program icon. This removes all the locks, and yes this is a pirate hack. Let me know if you want the program (send your email address by PM). This will quickly and easily unlock any map region you choose, assuming you own or have access to the current nuMaps (now version 2017.2).

I'm selling the unit. I own it in the sense that someone handed it to me & I took it. I personally will not be looking for a way to use the mapping. I'm selling it... as in, on Ebay. I'll probably put it on here & the Facebook group, also. It's a Garmin 2730 Streetpilot. The maps are outdated... like 2009 maps. I didn't look to see if the unlock code was written on the CD's envelope or in paperwork. I guess I should look at that tonight before posting it. I wish I liked it better than my 276C. The only thing that I see that I like better is the fact that you can use the touch screen. That & maps are loaded for whole USA. I still like my 276C. The screen is larger & it's fully readable in the sun. I do ride in the sun a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
The thing is, the maps are on the unit, and won't be updated by using the CD. About all you can do is to change the regions loaded on the unit. Current maps are too large to fit the entire North America map set into a Streetpilot, but since you have the entire USA map (2009) loaded, there is no reason to use the CD. I would not worry about finding the unlock codes.

Not legally!
Thanks for reminding me of the obvious, but Garmin no longer supports the Streetpilot 27xx units and claims its NuMAPs are not compatible, and no longer sells maps for these. I'm just saying there is a solution that can provide the most current maps on these units.

The answer to your question is: Yes.

It sounds like you have a legal version of the Streetpilot 2730 GPS, and the mapsource software CD that came with it. A potential buyer can load the mapsource and 2009 maps to their PC and will be able to route plan on the PC and sent them to the GPS. When they hook the GPS up to the PC it will obtain the lock codes from the GPS.

I have no idea how much money that obso GPS would be worth to someone, but if you don't have a use for it, why not sell it off for whatever you can get.

As for the 2009 maps being outdated, yeah, big deal. It is still quite usable as is. Mostly what gets updated are the Points Of Interest. And mostly what they do is just add in new ones. I often find old ones that are not culled out when a business closes, or has been closed for a long time. Roadways just do not change all that much in 7 or 8 years time span.

It also explains why the "map sets" continue to get larger with each release. It's not because of all the new roads.

That's what I needed to know, Fred. I am selling the unit for what I can get. I realize that it is obsolete but is still a useful unit. Heck, my 276C is obsolete & has older maps... 2012 I think. I use it for routing all of the time. I'm about ready to let it go bye bye now that I know that information.

Tom, I'm not looking to do anything to that unit myself... as in "0" interest in doing anything. I just want to sell a usable unit... which it is even with old maps.

Thanks for all the information friends.

I just bought a used Zumo 550 yesterday. It came with 2008 maps. I plugged it into my computer, went to the Garmin site, and it updated to the latest firmware, and downloaded the latest maps automatically, with the latest Garmin Express program. So I now have the latest maps. So you might try that, or the new owner can try that. Having old maps is only a problem in the city, where freeways are constantly changing. In the country, roads don't change all that much, so it's not that big a deal. Old maps are better than no maps. They will still get you where you are going. You might get a little confused in big cities due to the freeways always changing, but you can usually figure it out. Old GPS units are not worth much, especially car GPS units. Used motorcycle GPS are worth a little more since they are waterproof.

For those that think maps don't change much in the country, you must not drive or ride much. There are lots of changes in alignment, interchanges, bypasses and whole new roadways built in the last 9 years since those old maps were done. If you use POI features to plan fuel, food and lodging, those account for the "bloat" that has nearly doubled the size of the map databases.

For local riding, you don't need any GPS at all, but when you take off on a longer trip, it's just weird to see your GPS indicate you're driving off-road, or the interchange you plan to exit on has been completely reconfigured. The U.S. roadways are covered with orange cones most years, and many of those represent changes you might want to be aware of. While I admire a cheap ole bastard mentality, lifetime maps are a good thing and a worthwhile investment if you travel.

Now, c'mon Tom. When the GPS shows you are in space with no roads it does say "Off Route. Recalculate?" right. I'm assuming you have to good sense to configure the recalculate feature to "prompt" or, better yet, setting it to "off", then it doesn't say nuttin'. When you are back to a place that it knows is a road it keeps right on chuggin'.

Anyone that is considering buying an old obsolete GPS and running old maps on it is probably not willing to part with another hundred Samoleans just to get lifetime map updates. Especially since they aren't even supported on the old GPS anymore and the new ones won't fit. For the 99% of the time that the obsolete GPS does know where it is you'd be getting good Nav info from it.

Miraculously, I am able to steer my bike down the road even when my GPS doesn't know where I am exactly. It's an old skill I somehow acquired before GPS navigators were invented. But I guess you are right. I just don't drive or ride much. :rolleyes:

What the heck is the matter with you folks??

440px-Kompas_Sofia.JPG

Now, c'mon Tom. When the GPS shows you are in space with no roads it does say "Off Route. Recalculate?" right. I'm assuming you have to good sense to configure the recalculate feature to "prompt" or, better yet, setting it to "off", then it doesn't say nuttin'. When you are back to a place that it knows is a road it keeps right on chuggin'.
Anyone that is considering buying an old obsolete GPS and running old maps on it is probably not willing to part with another hundred Samoleans just to get lifetime map updates. Especially since they aren't even supported on the old GPS anymore and the new ones won't fit. For the 99% of the time that the obsolete GPS does know where it is you'd be getting good Nav info from it.

Miraculously, I am able to steer my bike down the road even when my GPS doesn't know where I am exactly. It's an old skill I somehow acquired before GPS navigators were invented. But I guess you are right. I just don't drive or ride much.
rolleyes.gif
c'mon Fred...tell me again you use outdated maps.