Can Widder or Gerbing gloves be safely plugged into ...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ciggy outlet is fused as 3 amps. DAMHIK. <_<

My answer would be yes, you could run them, for about 2 seconds or so. Then you'd have to stop, and pull the battery cover, and put in a new fuse ......

And that would be very inconvenient. To say the least.

20 watts according to Widder. Is it watts divided by volts equals amps? If so, 1.7 amps......so a 2 amp fuse seems to be pushing it.
Looks like you guys posted at the same time. If Kaitsdad is correct on the 3 amps and Iggy is correct on his math, then YES, you CAN use the glovebox outlet for the gloves. If you get a controller and a socket adapter. Frankly, you can almost skip the controller. I have to run mine full hot all the time. Might be different if I had some hand guards.

Looks like you guys posted at the same time. If Kaitsdad is correct on the 3 amps and Iggy is correct on his math, then YES, you CAN use the glovebox outlet for the gloves. If you get a controller and a socket adapter. Frankly, you can almost skip the controller. I have to run mine full hot all the time. Might be different if I had some hand guards.

Dosen't sound right to me that they don't get that hot. My Widder gloves didn't get very hot from new? Then after a short time they quit altogether? I checked the harness for continuity and there was none! I found one of the joints was bad. It must not have had a good conection from brand new because now that I repaired it I can't turn the gloves up more than 1/3 or they get too hot!

I don't think there is a quallity isssue with Widder but they could have had a short term problem with the harness? YMMV.

It must not have had a good conection from brand new because now that I repaired it I can't turn the gloves up more than 1/3 or they get too hot! I don't think there is a quallity isssue with Widder but they could have had a short term problem with the harness? YMMV.
my Widders have been hot/hot (able) since new, too. both pairs. after years of use, the lining started to pull loose in the fingers (lots of riding in the cold and rain). Widder made good on them with a new pair that were able to get just as hot if i canked up the juice. more likely than a "run of bad harnesses" is that a single defective one slipped through.

i'd sure not risk my cold-weather riding on a marginal connection through your OEM harness. add a proper Jastek plug with the fuse and wiring designed to handle the load (with tons of margin for future use). keep your bike harness safe and your hands warm when you most need them to be.

On my Widder stuff, it seems like the farther away from "the outlet", the less heat I get. And if my gloves are at the far end of my leg chaps, vest, arm chaps THEN gloves, I just figured it's "normal". I'll try them direct to the power source and see if I get better results. I finally bought the adapter plugs so I can do just that. Hope I haven't been using defective gloves all this time.