Canadian extended YPP warranty - worth it?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manglegrat

Reaction score
So, in this thread from earlier this year there was a general discussion about Canucks getting the shaft from Yamaha Canada for bike pricing, but warranty was only mentioned in passing.

There's a lot of discussion here about the deal for YES from D&H (+4yrs for $389 or so), but we can only get YPP up here, which retails for ~$1400 for +4yrs. :angry2:

The place I just bought my leftover 2011 will sell the 4yr version for $300 off as a "special deal" (until the end of the month).

I've done some research on the board and from what I could find, at under $400, YES is much more of an easy decision to make, but $1100 is a much bigger shaft to take. :eek:mg2:

I'm not sure if it's worth it or not. I've never had a warranty issue on any other bike I've ever owned (Kawasaki GPZ500S & Honda VFR800 2nd hand - so no warranty - Suzuki SV1000S & Honda VFR800 VTEC new), but I've had a few recalls done which is nothing to do with warranty anyway...

What's the general consensus (if there is such a thing!) on extended warranty cover for these beasts, especially the YPP and for the bigger $$s?

(if there's a relevant prior threat to refer to, please let me know)

Thanks in advance!

That sounds unbelievably expensive for you guys north of the border. But, is it worth it? Absolutely! It's a mechanical machine so, anything can happen at anytime. My windshield motor decided to stop working on the 13th month. It was a $700 part down here. I can imagine what it'll cost up there. Just an example but, it's a reasonable price to pay for 5 years of peace of mind. You'll ride that thing with a Big Smile on your face knowing that, if the bike even coughs, Yamaha will fix it at No Cost. :)

I am not sure I agree with that statement. I have 91K on my 03 and have had 3 things fixed by the dealership. Valve guides which was a known issue, and recall for TPS. The only other thing I paid for was a new ignition key switch. Mine failed and was not part of the recall. Should have been. The only other thing my dealership has done is valve adjustments. Take the $1100 put it in escrow and see if you ever need it for what would have been covered. That is what consumers has always said. Extended warranty are not wort it. my 2cents

I buy extended warranties for most of my vehicles and I usually make money on them - especially if I can get a discount.

I made money with my YPP. Two headlight relectors (crazing), fork seals twice, rear drive seals, pre-recall electrical issues including switchgear repplacement, one heated grip (the grip is $260 and now I need another).

YES is a LOT better than YPP because, among other things it gets you roadside assistance with overnight hotel coverage when on the road - but you'll never get Yamaha to equalise the plans.

Is the discount the dealer is offering a Yamaha promotional deal or is he offering you a REAL discount? If you like, I can call my local dealer & check to see what he would charge to sell you a plan . . . .

Note that the current promotion for the 2011 FJR (which has been in place for a few months) is as follows:

EITHER $2,300 rebate

OR 1 year of YPP

OR no payments for 6 months

OR 3.49% interest

Sounds to me like a year of YPP is worth about $300

I hope you chose the $2300 off.

Note that the current promotion for the 2011 FJR (which has been in place for a few months) is as follows:

EITHER $2,300 rebate

OR 1 year of YPP

OR no payments for 6 months

OR 3.49% interest
Hmm. I did not know about that promotion and it was not mentioned to me by the dealer. :angry2: I definitely didn't get a $2300 reduction off the price. I'll follow up with them ASAP and see what's up with that. I was OK with the deal beforehand, but if I can get $2300 back I'll be feeling way better about it...

Actually, according to Yamaha Canada, the promotion is active from Oct 1 - Dec 31, so it hasn't been around for long. I'm hoping it's just an oversight and they'll pony up the rebate after the fact... but I'm not hopeful.

Back to the warranty, if I went with the 4 year extension it would effectively be $220/yr over the 5 year period. I guess YMMV and you never know what's going to break... it's more of a peace of mind thing.

... it's more of a peace of mind thing.
Yes it is Mangle, you will not Remember or Care what you paid for it over 5 years when you ride that bike every day with a Big Carefree Smile on your Face knowing that if it even Hickupped, that Hickup will be Covered! And some of those Hickups can be Big Ones! :)

Hmm. I did not know about that promotion and it was not mentioned to me by the dealer. :angry2: I definitely didn't get a $2300 reduction off the price. I'll follow up with them ASAP and see what's up with that. I was OK with the deal beforehand, but if I can get $2300 back I'll be feeling way better about it...

Actually, according to Yamaha Canada, the promotion is active from Oct 1 - Dec 31, so it hasn't been around for long. I'm hoping it's just an oversight and they'll pony up the rebate after the fact... but I'm not hopeful.

Back to the warranty, if I went with the 4 year extension it would effectively be $220/yr over the 5 year period. I guess YMMV and you never know what's going to break... it's more of a peace of mind thing.
As I expected, the dealer said the price already included the rebate, and it was being sold for barely above their costs - despite the fact that the bike had been at that price for several months, well before that particular rebate came into effect... They waived the PDI and freight cost, but that ain't $2300 bucks worth... :blink:

Bramfrank - your post suggested that the rebate would have been in effect for a while - any idea when that may have originally started? It might be that this latest promotion just continued the same rebate from an earlier one... I may follow up with Yamaha Canada to clarify.

Ah well. Doesn't change the fact that I love the bike, of course! :)

Is the discount the dealer is offering a Yamaha promotional deal or is he offering you a REAL discount? If you like, I can call my local dealer & check to see what he would charge to sell you a plan . . . .
Just realized I got distracted by the promotion part of your post and ignored this bit - sorry... $2300 is a potent distraction. :)

Anyway, back to the point - the discount for the 48mo extension (from $1400 to $1100) was just for me, not related to any Yamaha promotions. They may have been taking some of that out of the secret rebate... <_<

It would be great if you could ask your local dealer what they would sell the 48mo extension for, thanks for offering! I'd love to know what other dealers would offer it for.

I'm guessing that like YES I can buy it from any dealer, so if I can get a good deal elsewhere I might do that rather than go back to the folks I bought it from...

Yes, you can buy YPP from any dealer in Canada. As promised I had a chat with my dealer . . . . his YPP pricing for 'me' is higher than your dealer's for you.

But we chatted about the promotion. He said that you did NOT get the $2300 rebate (or whatever the amount was , presumably in September when you took delivery) unless you signed a Yamaha document - The dealer has to return a document to Yamaha to get those funds, so either they forged your name or didn't claim the rebate if you didn't sign the document . . . . you might be able to get a definitive answer by calling Yamaha and providing your VIN Before you do that you might want to PM me with your purchase details (date and amount paid for the bike and detail whatever ancillary charges they may have added in - noting that the dealers get an allowance for PDI from Yamaha. I can call my dealer with the information and see what he thinks, though he dumped his promotional materials from the periods before the current month.

Yamaha Head Office

(416) 498-1911

Yamaha Western Branch

(604) 944-9499

Yes, you can buy YPP from any dealer in Canada. As promised I had a chat with my dealer . . . . his YPP pricing for 'me' is higher than your dealer's for you.

But we chatted about the promotion. He said that you did NOT get the $2300 rebate (or whatever the amount was , presumably in September when you took delivery) unless you signed a Yamaha document - The dealer has to return a document to Yamaha to get those funds, so either they forged your name or didn't claim the rebate if you didn't sign the document . . . . you might be able to get a definitive answer by calling Yamaha and providing your VIN Before you do that you might want to PM me with your purchase details (date and amount paid for the bike and detail whatever ancillary charges they may have added in - noting that the dealers get an allowance for PDI from Yamaha. I can call my dealer with the information and see what he thinks, though he dumped his promotional materials from the periods before the current month.

Yamaha Head Office

(416) 498-1911

Yamaha Western Branch

(604) 944-9499
I put the deposit down on it on Oct 6, and collected it (trading in my 2005 VFR & paying the balance in cash) on Oct 13.

As to calling Yamaha Canada, will do - but I'll drop you a PM first.

Thanks again bramfrank - I appreciate the help!

So, in this thread from earlier this year there was a general discussion about Canucks getting the shaft from Yamaha Canada for bike pricing, but warranty was only mentioned in passing.

There's a lot of discussion here about the deal for YES from D&H (+4yrs for $389 or so), but we can only get YPP up here, which retails for ~$1400 for +4yrs. :angry2:

The place I just bought my leftover 2011 will sell the 4yr version for $300 off as a "special deal" (until the end of the month).

I've done some research on the board and from what I could find, at under $400, YES is much more of an easy decision to make, but $1100 is a much bigger shaft to take. :eek:mg2:

I'm not sure if it's worth it or not. I've never had a warranty issue on any other bike I've ever owned (Kawasaki GPZ500S & Honda VFR800 2nd hand - so no warranty - Suzuki SV1000S & Honda VFR800 VTEC new), but I've had a few recalls done which is nothing to do with warranty anyway...

What's the general consensus (if there is such a thing!) on extended warranty cover for these beasts, especially the YPP and for the bigger $$s?

(if there's a relevant prior threat to refer to, please let me know)

Thanks in advance!
Absolutely, YES! Here in the US they were very good about honoring their YES commitment. Never a complaint or a runaround. These modern bikes are damned complex, and their parts are damned expensive. Just one fix and that extended warranty has paid for itself. The second one is profit. This is a bullet you should bite.

Last edited by a moderator:
I put the deposit down on it on Oct 6, and collected it (trading in my 2005 VFR & paying the balance in cash) on Oct 13.

As to calling Yamaha Canada, will do - but I'll drop you a PM first.

Thanks again bramfrank - I appreciate the help!
So, to close this part of the discussion off, after talking to both the dealer and Yamaha (who also talked to the dealer), the dealer says I already benefited from the rebate in the deal we agreed to (though again it was never mentioned) and without going into the gory details it seems I have no case with regards to getting anything back from that - short of a long-shot small court claim, which is very likely to cost more in lost income and stress than it could possibly retrieve, as they could also argue it was used to offset the cost of the freight & PDI (which I didn't pay), etc.

Suffice to say that dealer will be getting no more of my business, and I would recommend anyone who asks to at least be aware of their terms of business ("All incentives to dealer") prior to dealing with them. I won't say who they were, but when it came to the deal, they were the professionals, and it turns out I was the amateur. :blink:

At this point, I'm just going to let the 1yr manufacturer warranty run, and I'll make a decision on extending it before it runs out. I'd rather lose the $300 discount than go back...

Still loving the FJR, though! I managed to ride it again before the bad weather hit this weekend (that's probably it for the winter here in Calgary! :cold: ). That's the real bright spot and outweighs the sketchiness of the deal. :D

Thanks again to Bramfrank for his help!

I paid the long dollar for the YPP on my Canad1an 2004ABS but never "collected" a dime and then bambi made it moot in 2008. My logic at the time (Fall 2003) included the newness of the bike in Canada (semi-proven design), and the very complicated design (all things are relative ;)

I bought a low-miler 2006 used from an NYC owner (Fall 2008) and have never had a speck of trouble except stuff that Yamaha brought to my attention and paid for themselves, ECU and ignition switch, spider harness etc.

If you have a large note on your bike and a big repair bill would be financially devastating to you, then go for the YPP (from any other dealer!) If the title is yours, I wouldn't dream of paying the usurious Canadian price for "peace of mind". Bramfrank's experience is far from the norm among my large circle of FJR-owning friends, but it is a sobering reminder that there are "Monday morning" machines from every manufacturer.

Good luck.

I bought the 4 year YES from D&H for my 2006. Never used it. In 6.5 years of ownership my bike has not yet required a repair, the only time it has ever been to the dealer is for the recalls/service campaigns. I didn't get my money out of it at $389 (or whatever I paid), I think at $1,000+ it's a no-brainer to pass on it. My $0.00.

If the question is, would I pay $2000-$2300 (plus any taxes on that) for 4 years extended warranty? Absolutely not. Never. Probably $600 or so would be a reasonable maximum (4 years extension) to me. Otherwise, keep the money, put it in a bank account and reimburse yourself for warranty type repairs after the original factory warranty runs out. Don't forget, these bikes are very dependable. If Yamaha in the U.S. (after allowing for dealer profit) can make money selling 4 years extended warranty for less than $400 (D&H), why not in canada? Same bike, ain't it? Sounds like a big ripoff to me.

I suppose some consideration can be taking into account your projected annual mileage. If you are riding 15-20k miles a year, allow something for that, but most bikers ride less, alot less, especially up there in the frozen tundra.

Outside of recall work on my bike, it has never seen the dealer, and that is almost 3 years after I bought it. If you take care of the bike, keep it parked in a garage to minimize temp/humidity fluctuations and don't ride like a maniac, chances are you will never need an extended warranty.

My YES warranty got used three times. The first was when the rear caliper stripped out while changing the rear brake pads. A couple hundred dollar repair that was done for free. That alone covered the $389 price of admission.

The second was when the right side BS adjustable panel blew off the bike on the road. Yamaha replaced them both.

The last was when they replaced my rear shock. They didn't have to do that one, as it is subjective, but they did and I was very grateful.

Would I spend another $389 if I bought another one? Yup. Would I spend $1000+ for that same peace of mind? Probably not.