Carbon Fiber Luggage Rack

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bumlinger

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I made a simple luggage rack that attaches to the Givi SR357 frame. I think a lot of hard top boxes overwhelm the appearance of the FJR. I just wanted to be able to attach a smaller semi-soft top box of some sort. I got a 4mm thick, 300mm x 400mm carbon fiber plate, trimmed it to shape for the Nelson-Rigg large Commuter bag, added 4 footman loops for strap attachments and voila - lightweight and strong all-purpose rack. Waddya think?
IMG_1813.jpegIMG_1814.jpegIMG_1815.jpegIMG_1816.jpegIMG_1817.jpegIMG_1818.jpeg

I just came across your post, and agree with your assessment of the traditional FJR trunk. I think your bag and support are a terrific solution to all the concerns: size, weight, volume, and appearance. Does the Givi SR357 frame eliminate, or nearly eliminate, the subframe damage concern? I have a 2014 that presently has no trunk, but I would like to do something very much like you have done.

I just came across your post, and agree with your assessment of the traditional FJR trunk. I think your bag and support are a terrific solution to all the concerns: size, weight, volume, and appearance. Does the Givi SR357 frame eliminate, or nearly eliminate, the subframe damage concern? I have a 2014 that presently has no trunk, but I would like to do something very much like you have done.
I have no hard evidence that the Givi SR357 will eliminate any subframe damage. That said, I think the carbon fiber platform along with the lighter and smaller bag will go a long way towards keeping the aluminum subframe in one piece. Mostly, I think it just looks better than a huge plastic box back there. More options for what you want to put on the plate, too.

Yes, I agree. And thanks for your original post. I think I will go on the hunt for a carbon fiber plate as suggested. My girlfriend likes the added reassurance of something behind her, but I have never been fond of the looks of a standard size FJR trunk.

I made a simple luggage rack that attaches to the Givi SR357 frame. I think a lot of hard top boxes overwhelm the appearance of the FJR. I just wanted to be able to attach a smaller semi-soft top box of some sort. I got a 4mm thick, 300mm x 400mm carbon fiber plate, trimmed it to shape for the Nelson-Rigg large Commuter bag, added 4 footman loops for strap attachments and voila - lightweight and strong all-purpose rack. Waddya think?
View attachment 5455View attachment 5456View attachment 5457View attachment 5458View attachment 5459View attachment 5460
Looks clean and simple. I like it.

Nicely done homemade farkle! I don't love the topcase, but it does come in handy in certain situations. I mount it for my passenger when two-up, or when travelling and need the extra storage.

A couple days ago I took my first ride with the newer Yamaha aluminum rear rack. Much more functional than the stock Yamaha rear rack or the Givi SR357 with the toilet bowl mounting. I was able to Rok Strap a box to it easy-peasy.

1000020443.jpg

1000020474.jpg

Nicely done homemade farkle! I don't love the topcase, but it does come in handy in certain situations. I mount it for my passenger when two-up, or when travelling and need the extra storage.

A couple days ago I took my first ride with the newer Yamaha aluminum rear rack. Much more functional than the stock Yamaha rear rack or the Givi SR357 with the toilet bowl mounting. I was able to Rok Strap a box to it easy-peasy.

View attachment 6866

View attachment 6867
Like the high value added storage! But not very aerodynamic.

Your DIY mod is superb IMHO. I've used a common milk crate for years despite its not so pretty appearance. It's damn functional, nearly indestructible and securely held to the luggage plate with four very solid bolts. However, your solution is much better looking and far more affordable than a GIVI. I think a change is in store for my bike. Thanks for the post and happy trails.

1713703527885.png

View attachment 6866

View attachment 6867
I see you have the rack mounted and running the Smuggler. I thought I had read somewhere that they were incompatible. Were there modifications required?? 🤔

Your DIY mod is superb IMHO. I've used a common milk crate for years despite its not so pretty appearance. It's damn functional, nearly indestructible and securely held to the luggage plate with four very solid bolts. However, your solution is much better looking and far more affordable than a GIVI. I think a change is in store for my bike. Thanks for the post and happy trails.

View attachment 6875
You could always get a collapsible milk crate. Mostly hidden away when not in use...

(Amazon and elsewhere.)

1713706336561.png 1713706368601.png

That Givi/carbon fiber combo looks excellent! I wonder how much weight that will bear? I'm looking for a way to create some kind of dog carrier so the pooch can ride with me. The problem is she's about 50lbs and I'm afraid that much weight would over-tax the rear sub-frame. Has anyone heard of someone doing that with their FJR?

I see you have the rack mounted and running the Smuggler. I thought I had read somewhere that they were incompatible. Were there modifications required?? 🤔

Yes, and no. I bought the Smuggler and rear rack used. The previous owner modified the Smuggler to make it work with the rear rack. As for the 'no' part, if you buy a brand new Smuggler, Corbin has said they have changed it and it works with that Yamaha accessory aluminum rack.

View attachment 5455View attachment 5456View attachment 5457View attachment 5458View attachment 5459View attachment 5460