Cee baileys: standard or reverse curve?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

numb41

Reaction score
Due to my ADD or ADHD (whatever the hell it is), I spent 5 minutes trying to search this topic- yes, I did look at the category that showed several methods to search and just got pi$$ed... Using an iPad which is a whole 'nuther rant. Anywho, I wanted some input as to which windshield to order, the reverse curved or the standard. They both come in the same size. The reverse curve is only ten bucks more. kinda concerned about vibration with these acrylic windshields. I have a cee baileys on my f650 that has developed cracks around the mounting holes, which (I think) is due to vibration. To be fair, the windshield mounts to a flimsy piece of plastic-yet another rant worthy topic. What else, I'm 5'9" or so. I need some warmer weather - getting bleary eyed pouring over the farkle list.

Reverse curve is great. No problem into the triple digits I have heard, but I always lower the windscreen when in the twisties so I can feel the wind in my face. Have not noticed any vibration. Get the light smoke if you like (not dark at all). Still easy to see through, and looks better IMO.

Had the reverse curve on my '08 and never had a problem. Ordered one for my '14 about 5 minutes after I got it home from the dealer.

+1, reverse curve on my 15..... very happy with it...

its my first cee baileys.... so far so good...

I'm 5'10 and the 21" just clears my helmet in the full upright position... rode around in the 30* weather I was OK, if you want more coverage get the bigger screen.

Pretty sure they are the same width and shape from the medium to large....

+1 for reverse curve. I have them on both my FJRs and love them. I'm 5"9" and have the 21" height on both bikes. One is the +2 wider and the other +4 wider; you can hardly tell aesthetically between the two widths but the +4 gives a bit more protection to hands. I have the light gray.

And no issues with vibration or cracks.

I'm thinking the 19" dark smoke would look real good on the 14, but can't tell by the picture on their site if it has much of any reverse curve on it? And does that darker tint make it more difficult to see the road, especially at night?

I'm thinking the 19" dark smoke would look real good on the 14, but can't tell by the picture on their site if it has much of any reverse curve on it? And does that darker tint make it more difficult to see the road, especially at night?
Motorcycle windshields are normally meant to be looked over, not through. In that event it doesn't really matter what the tint is.

Some people do look through the windshield, they would want to avoid a dark tint unless it can be lowered far enough to look over.

I was leaning to the recurve (it's what i have onthe 650). Was gonna go with the 24" and 4" wide. I can adjust to fit me. I'm thinking that the better wind protection is gonna pay off huge when I'm trying to knock some miles out.

Just for info: 6' tall with a 32 inch inseam and I used the 2+2 reverse flip. Almost perfect size. A 3+2 would have been better for me personally, but not a standard size. The windscreen is big enough to look through when full up, so the dark smoke is not advisable. This is not like a sportbike where you don't look through the windscreen. Most of the time you look over the windscreen, but not always. YMMV

Last edited by a moderator:
According to the Cee Bailey customer service rep I spoke to last year they sell far more reverse contour shields than standard contour for the FJR. It is worth noting that they do not offer the standard contour for the Gen 3. Gen 3 shields are only available in reverse contour.

Still, asking us what shield you need is like asking us whether you should date a blonde or a brunette. Windshield happiness is such a personal thing.

With regards to the question in post #8, there is very little "flip" to the Gen 3 sport shield but it is there. It works better than it looks like it should. There are pics on this site of that shield installed on a '14 and it does look very good. I have it on my '15 and like it very much, no I don't ever look through it.

Have a 2015ES with the reverse 21" dark tint. Looks awesome in that color with the dark graphite. Have no idea why anybody would look through a motorcycle windshield, but I can still look thru it with a dark visor on. Just not at night.

Have a 2015ES with the reverse 21" dark tint. Looks awesome in that color with the dark graphite. Have no idea why anybody would look through a motorcycle windshield, but I can still look thru it with a dark visor on. Just not at night.

Pics of this setup...?!?!?

I have had both and prefer the reserve curve since it seems to allow you to use a 2" shorter windshield and still get the same protection as the standard.
Yup, I too run the reverse contour (flip) in two sizes for summer and winter.

Nice quality shields, whichever you choose you won't be disappointed.

--G

I have the CB dark 'sport' shield en route now. The factory shield functions well enough for me, but thought I'd change up a little on the Tint.

Well I went for the flip with the lt grey tint. 23"x4". Snooped around for a coupon or a discount, but then realized I'm probably buying it during the prime time of their season.

You are also getting answers from Gen2 and Gen3 riders and the air management has changed dramatically over time.

I have the CB dark 'sport' shield en route now. The factory shield functions well enough for me, but thought I'd change up a little on the Tint.
A futile attempt to copy the awesomeness of the 2015.
smile.png

I cannot wait to see that '14 Red in person with that shield.

Latest posts