Center Stand

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ever notice you can put the bike in first gear with the center stand in use? This is so you can lean back to let the rear wheel get traction and push to off the center stand.
:p I'll have to try that one - the next time I have the bike on center stand on an uphill slope! Love it!

So yesterday I got back from a quick ride and decided to wash the FJR. Went in, changed into shorts and t-shirt, went out, and suddenly remembered this thread. And I thought to myself, "Hmm, let me try this center stand while sitting on the bike thing." I sat on the bike, put out the side stand, just in case, and kept my right foot firmly on the ground. Put my left heel on the center stand and slowly pressed down....OUCH! I felt a sudden burning in the back of my calf. You see, trying to put the center stand down while sitting on the bike brings the back of the leg into contact with the hot exhaust. Another maneuver I decidedly do not recommend (Right up there with bare foot center standing).

I put mine on the center stand with it pointed a little uphill and loaded down with traveling gear and my big butt. That was a big mistake. I had almost resorted to getting off and kicking it over to get it off the stand. I was tired when I finally got it down. :blink:
Ever notice you can put the bike in first gear with the center stand in use? This is so you can lean back to let the rear wheel get traction and push to off the center stand.
I will probably pass on that one. I just make it a point to not put it on the stand if there is an incline, ;)

Rob,

You gotta post the video of you putting the fjr on the center stand while on it. I have been following this thread waiting for the video post.

Are you waiting for friday? :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

I will post the video tonight. I tried today after I got off the bike, It was 117 so the I was hot. I changed into shorts and discovered that although I was Hot the Bike was hotter. I will post the video in a new heading.

So I have had 4 bikes in the last 20 years. I have never had a bike with a center stand though. Do most of you use it? Is it better to use than the side stand? And here is the biggie, Is there a easy way to get the bike up on the damn thing? Right now I am on the bike, hand on front brake and foot on stand, I put all my considerable weight on the stand while pulling back on the bars. I use the front brake to stop my self from going too far forward when I don't make it. This usually works after 4-5 tries.
All I have to add to the other good instructions is:

Make sure it is a level spot you are practicing on.

Have a spotter on the right side of the bike to give you confidence (since I always feel that I am going to have the bike tip over to the right as I raise it upright).

Hey, has anyone heard of Yamaha not making the center stand for any models of the bike? I am set to go get mine out of the shop--my third center stand broke back in July and I just now got around to getting the bike into the shop. Anywho, I was called just while ago and told that my bike is ready for pick up...but, that Yamaha doesn't make the center stand anymore. WTF???!!! How can this be? Surely this part hasn't changed so much from '03, has it? And, the bike does still come with the center stand on it, right??

Anywho, I just find it friggin amazing if this is true. I guess I'll be looking for one off of a salvaged bike if they really aren't making the stand anymore.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
There was a failure history for '03 centerstands, corrosion, rust, whatever, and one leg breaking off. This is from memory, not looking at actual papers and data, but I think the centerstand was changed for later years. Those parts should fit the '03. I think.

'03 PN: 5JW-27111-00-00

'04 and '05 PN: 5JW-27111-03-00

The later one has an extra brace welded in IIRC.

There was a failure history for '03 centerstands, corrosion, rust, whatever, and one leg breaking off. This is from memory, not looking at actual papers and data, but I think the centerstand was changed for later years. Those parts should fit the '03. I think.'03 PN: 5JW-27111-00-00

'04 and '05 PN: 5JW-27111-03-00

The later one has an extra brace welded in IIRC.

Thanks for the info. And, BTW, I got further clarification on the center stand when I talked with the owner of the shop. Evidently the center stand are just back ordered. The younger guy that called me earlier to tell me that my bike was ready to pick up had misunderstood what was going on, I guess. Oh, and the dealer here in Millington has two black '08s sitting on the floor. They really are nice looking. Whenever I wear my '03 out, I reckon I'll get another FJR. I have really enjoyed my bike.

Thanks again for the info and the part numbers.

<snip>.....get the bike up on the damn thing? Right now I am on the bike, hand on front brake and foot on stand, I put all my considerable weight on the stand while pulling back on the bars.
QUOTE (Janet @ Aug 17 2008, 07:04 AM) I put mine on the center stand with it pointed a little uphill and loaded down with traveling gear and my big butt. That was a big mistake. I had almost resorted to getting off and kicking it over to get it off the stand. I was tired when I finally got it down.

QUOTE (John T @ Aug 17 2008, 11:39 PM)

There was a failure history ... an extra brace welded in
No kidding.... wonder why?

Could there possibly be a center stand of any material or design that would withstand this type of abuse? :blink: :huh: :unsure: