Clearwater Darla Install on the 2013

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueJay

Reaction score
Can someone tell me the best location to tap the wires into? What color is the low beam (hot) wire and what color is the high beam (hot) wire? Thanks for any assistance I'm not very handy with wiring and really want this install to be flawless.

Do you have a shop manual? It contains a wiring diagram. That will help.

Also, not sure if this will help as I have a Gen 1, but it's at least likely that the relay you're looking for will have the same location and or wiring colors.

CLICKY

Gary

Last edited by a moderator:
My Gen3 relay was in the same location as the Gen2 as indicated in the directions from Clearwater. You are looking for the Green/Blue and the Yellow wires.

Once you remove the cover around the instruments, there will be a relay just below the left instrument. It's the second relay from the left. Hint: The leftmost relay is hidden behind the large wire bundle that runs up and under the panel.

You may have to peel back the wrap that bundles the wires going into the relay to see the ones you want.

The directions from Clearwater are pretty good.

Thanks guys that's the exact information I needed from someone who has done it already. Just wanted to get er done right on my new Baby!! Very much appreciated.

I was thinking back to when I installed my lights last week remembered a few things.

Once you remove the cover around the instrument panel, there will be 3 relays on the left side.

The far left is behind a large bundle of wires. Ignore this one.

The one to the right of this one is fairly easy to see. It uses a rubber clip to hold in place. If you push up on the relay, it will eventually come off and unclip. Doing so will give you some extra room to move around.

The 3rd relay is to the right, almost center on the instrument cluster.

There is a small bundle that runs about horizontally between relays 2 and 3. It's about 2" in length. If you follow it, it terminates at relay #3. This is the bundle you want to look at. I found it easier to tap the wires towards the left side, so I peeled the bundle from the left side.

Thanks Oki when I install them next week I'll be saving alot of time by knowing exactly where to look for the wires. Great information!

Clearwater installed mine a few weeks ago and took tons of photos for their website, have you looked there?

Thanks Oki when I install them next week I'll be saving alot of time by knowing exactly where to look for the wires. Great information!
You need to check your Pos-i-tap connectors that came with your lights. There were three of them, all the same size, that came with my Kristas... three weeks ago. All of them were too small for the wires I was trying to tap into. If you have the same problem, see the cure I used here: CLICKY

Just so ya know, I used a 3/32 drill. Simply loosen the Pos-i-tap enough so that the drill will go in, but it's still threaded a little... this method holds the split threaded area together so the drill won't simply force the slot apart. Run the drill in and out once, and it will cut a larger opening at the bottom of the slot @ the correct diameter (roughly same as the wire you're trying to tap into). Now when you slide the wire (that you're trying to tap into) up into the slot, it will fit comfortably into the larger opening you made with the drill at the bottom of the slot. Hope that make sense.

Gary

Darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator:
Still haven't installed my Darla's yet been too busy working, Thanks for that extra Info Gary I'm sure it will come in handy!