Close encounters

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garyahouse

newbs need the forum
Reaction score
Ya gotta hear this one.

Was driving along (in the cage) in the center lane on a 3 lane section of the interstate when a Harley came blasting past on my right. He swerved quickly in front of us and then on to the far left lane in one huge 2-lane sweep. Just as he crossed the dotted line, the car in front of us swerved over into that same left lane, cutting him off. He heeled his Harley over to the right while clamping on the brakes, just as he swept around the left side of the car and nearly caught the rear bumper. He crossed the solid line at the edge of the expressway a bit when he finally slowed it down enough to tailgate the vehicle that almost killed him. 

All this took place at about 70 mph. With handlebars at eye level, and his T-shirt and shorts flopping in the wind, here's what happened next:

He swerved over all three lanes again to pass several cars and continued on his way swerving defiantly in an out of traffic until he was out of sight in front of us. 

I commented to my cousin who was doing the driving... there goes an accident waiting to happen. It's guys like that that cause all my relatives to think I'm crazy for riding a motorcycle, provide emergency room employees with plenty to do, and cause motorcycle insurance rates to keep climbing.

What a shame to watch that. It's only a matter of time before that rider becomes a statistic. Hope he doesn't injure someone else in the process. I hope he doesn't have a wife and kids at home.

Gary - I think some of my family members and loved ones feel the same way for the same reason.

In your example, I'm sure it was difficult for the cage to see or anticipate that a motorcycle was crossing so many lanes behind it.  Pirate rides like a douche and then gets pissed off when nobody sees him.  Dumbass....

We're 1/5th their weight -through simple physics, in a contact contest, we lose.  And we're invisible.  And they are all out to kill us.  That is all.

I am surprised that it was a Harley rider and not a sport bike rider. I see stuff like that whenever I go to certain parts of NY and NJ, but it's always sport bike riders and normally more than one. 

NY City has a problem with people on non-registered dirt bikes doing similar things and using the sidewalks when it  helps them get past traffic. The city is now asking people to help turn them in when  they see them. 

Not very often that I see this sort of thing, but when I do, it is indeed usually a sport bike rider. Happy to say I've never seen an FJR rider do this. But just looking at the little skull cap the dude was wearing, and his tank top and shorts, I'm thinking that's a lot of exposure to be driving that way. 

There seems to be idiot drivers/riders in all vehicle categories. I have too seen the mentioned maneuvers from sport bike squids, sport car drivers,  and even retards driving giant SUV's. Stupidity knows no specific club. Those doing this riding motorcycles bother me less than those in huge 4X4's.  

It's simple physics a 600 lb motorcycle verses 6000 lb diesel Ram Pick up is not going to come out on top. 

There will always be idiots on the road. Being a motorcyclist thankfully has made me much better picking them out and learning to avoid them. 

There are dipshits everywhere in every vehicle imaginable. The best we can do is pay attention and do our best to avoid them. I will say that riding a MC has made me a more aware driver, which hopefully means a better driver. 

There are dipshits everywhere in every vehicle imaginable. The best we can do is pay attention and do our best to avoid them. I will say that riding a MC has made me a more aware driver, which hopefully means a better driver. 
Nice to be able to turn on the lights.

snip... I will say that riding a MC has made me a more aware driver, which hopefully means a better driver. 
This is one of the reasons why we started our kids on dirt bikes when they were young, so they would be more alert when driving a car.  They often comment on when they see a MC rider doing stupid stuff on the road. 

Because they ride, even though it is in the dirt, they are more alert in looking for motorcycles and bicycles when driving. 

NY City has a problem with people on non-registered dirt bikes doing similar things and using the sidewalks when it  helps them get past traffic. The city is now asking people to help turn them in when  they see them. 
At least now they'll be looking for riders.

Latest posts