Coast-to-Coast Ride With Max Fall Colors

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TooManyBikes

Reaction score
I am thinking about a ride from New Hampshire to Los Angeles in the coming weeks and want to maximize the miles with fall foliage and interesting roads.

The intent of the trip to relax and only plan 350 - 500 miles a day of scenic riding, preferably not on the slab. (Yes, a pitance to those of you who go this far between morning coffee and breakfast), Would like to include North Dakota and need to pass through Salt Lake City.

What byways and routing would you suggest, and during which weeks of September 15-October 31?

And what clothing do you suggest might be most helpful?

Thanks for your insights!

(And if this topic better fits with ride planning instead of long distance rides, please feel free to move it)

Last edited by a moderator:
It is a ways off your track but if you have the time, October across Montana on MT HWY 200 would be pretty amazing, then continue across Idaho on US 2, hook up with Washington 20 in Newport and continue across Washington to Burlington on WA 20. Turn south to Everett and head east on US 2 over Stevens Pass, most beautiful about October 10, then turn south on US 97 for as far as you want to go. The North Cascades in October is one of the best displays of fall color in existence, particularly Stevens Pass headed east shortly after sunrise. Wear warm clothes and bring raingear. US 12 across Montana, Idaho, and Washington is also pretty amazing, and on a bike the road down Idaho's Lochsa River just has to be experienced...99 miles of curves!

Thanks, dzane, for your suggestions and detailed routing. These roads look very enjoyable and if I do not get to them this fall, I will definitely be thinking about them when the snow clears again.

Route 6 across northern PA would be a nice ride. Almost exclusively 2 lane. Can get pretty cool up there at this time of year. Planned properly you could drop down to Cherry Springs State Park which is among the top 10 places in the US for stargazing. Nighttime skies in that part of PA are breathtaking.

Route 6 sounds like an awesome route to travel too. Not sure whether we will be staying north through Michigan and Minnesota or dropping south through PA. Appreciate your information to help us plan.

The Black Hills of South Dakota are usually splendid in early October.

As a general rule North and High ensures earlier color.

If you have to go through the flatlands of Ohio you might as well get a taste of some of the good roads in Southeastern Ohio.Just south of Wheeling WV you could take 147 west out of Bellaire Oh which will take you to 800.Go south on 800 to Woodsfield and head West on 78 all the way to Nelsonville.Go straight through the traffic light and you will be on 691.Go south on 691 until it intersects with 56, take 56 west one mile and head south on 356.356 will T into 50 ,head west on 50 and it could take you all the way to California,or at least to the western border of Ohio.

Thanks to everyone who has offered suggestions so far. The dots on the map are starting to appear, and the route looks very interesting.

Brother received an offer he could not turn down and sold his bike today, so I may need to find another riding partner. Still hoping to make the ride, as I have 14 days of ride credit with Club Eagle Rider and the Manchester, NH has an FJR available - meaning I can ride one way and do not have to prep my bike.

Will be sure to pack those farkles I want to be sure to have - such as the throttle palm rest, RAM mount for phone and gps, heated clothing, and Beadrider.