cockpit comfort

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dabron

Reaction score
Hi... I recently bought the FJR 1300 (2004)...I just love this bike with the exception of how I fit on it. I have raised the seat using a custom seat, raised and moved back the bars and I still experience massive back pain after a ride. Although I searched the site for recent topics, I could not find it. Does anyone have suggestions of how a taller rider (6',2") would mod the bike to accommodate a comfortable position. Any info will help..thanks

Hi... I recently bought the FJR 1300 (2004)...I just love this bike with the exception of how I fit on it. I have raised the seat using a custom seat, raised and moved back the bars and I still experience massive back pain after a ride. Although I searched the site for recent topics, I could not find it. Does anyone have suggestions of how a taller rider (6',2") would mod the bike to accommodate a comfortable position. Any info will help..thanks
6'4" here...900 mile days on dead-stock bike (before it was just a dead bike) were normal weekend fare.

(dis)Comfort on motorcycles is such a personal issue I think you're just gonna be chasing undomesticated waterfowl by asking for other opinions, since the opinions you get will be from people built differently from you.

Where's the pain? Lower back? Middle back? Or, typical for riders on new bikes, burning pain between the shoulders?

Lower back pain could be caused by gluteal muscles impinging your sciatic nerve. Stop more often, walk around.

Middle back pain could be caused by poor riding posture. Search the forum for "yoda position"

Upper back pain, burning pain between the shoulders, is usually a symptom of your body not being used to riding a new bike. It's a lot like beginning a new exercise regimen. You're gonna hurt from using new/different muscles in new & different ways until your body becomes accustomed.

6'3" here. I ran a stock seat for a couple of years without a problem, but a custom BMS seat made me more comfortable. Handlebar risers also made me more comfortable. A Smitty-installed Audiovox CCS system lets me take my hand off the throttle, which not only relieves hand fatigue, but makes stretching much easier.

For long rides, I find my Wild Bill highway pegs give me a lot of extra comfort. I occasionally move both feet to the highway pegs, then back, then only the right foot, then only the left foot, and so on. Every 30-45 minutes I stand up on the stock pegs for a few seconds.

FWIW, I also find that when I've been doing my crunches regularly, I am more comfortable on longer (500 mile+) rides. I've got a lot of long days in the saddle coming up, so I better get started on that.

6'4" here...900 mile days on dead-stock bike (before it was just a dead bike) were normal weekend fare.

(dis)Comfort on motorcycles is such a personal issue I think you're just gonna be chasing undomesticated waterfowl by asking for other opinions, since the opinions you get will be from people built differently from you.

Where's the pain? Lower back? Middle back? Or, typical for riders on new bikes, burning pain between the shoulders?

Lower back pain could be caused by gluteal muscles impinging your sciatic nerve. Stop more often, walk around.

Middle back pain could be caused by poor riding posture. Search the forum for "yoda position"

Upper back pain, burning pain between the shoulders, is usually a symptom of your body not being used to riding a new bike. It's a lot like beginning a new exercise regimen. You're gonna hurt from using new/different muscles in new & different ways until your body becomes accustomed.
[/center]

thanks for the input...what about lowering the pegs...is there a rearset for this bike that someone can comment on.? I have been riding for 15 years and have never experienced this type of discomfort...it is the lower and middle back. I am very athletic and do a core routine every morning, so I am pretty strong in the trunk...has anyone relieved back discomfort with some type of mod..?​

Last edited by a moderator:
Adding a throttle lock could do you a lot of good. By locking the throttle you release your wrist from constant pressure and without having to concentrate on maintaining speed you can move around the cockpit more freely and loosen up those vertebrae some.

Adding a throttle lock could do you a lot of good. By locking the throttle you release your wrist from constant pressure and without having to concentrate on maintaining speed you can move around the cockpit more freely and loosen up those vertebrae some.
+1

$11. Just don't set it going up a hill :) (it locks the throttle, not the mph)

I'm 6'2" and 260lbs and I lowered the seat (instead of raising it) and I'm very comfy. I have the bars set in the middle after trying both other settings.

This is DEFINITELY a "your mileage will vary" subject, even more so than "what oil should I use?"

6'2" 260 and I run with the seat low and the bars all the way back (Heli Triple Clamp) and Heli risers. I have v-stream windshield. Works great for me but as was said earlier your mileage may vary. I recommend the throttle spring unwind and grip puppies. I have cruise control and throttle lock and never use them anymore since doing the throttle spring unwind and grip puppies.

...what about lowering the pegs...is there a rearset for this bike that someone can comment on.?
I wouldn't lower the pegs, only because losing more cornering clearance would be one result and you don't have that much to give away on the FJR as it's set up stock, especially if you were to lower them enough to make a difference in comfort. Where you live, you have lots of twisties that won't be better with less clearance. Try the highway pegs for more foot positions. I've never heard of rearsets for the FJR, but I haven't done an exhaustive search, either.

Beyond that, I can't be of much help, since the FJR is very comfortable to me. OTOH, I'm between 5'10" and 5'11" and around 185 in my advanced age. The only back pain I've ever had on a street bike in 42+ years is from between my shoulder blades to the base of my skull -- mostly on bikes with clip ons, but also on an unfaired 1975 Kaw Z1 after a few hours holding on against the wind. I have gotten lumbar to coccyx pain on my dual sport**, but that's due to a way too soft seat that provides so little support that 4 or 5 hours in the saddle makes it hard for me to stand up without aching. Easy solution there -- aftermarket seat after I get it running again (always too much on the to do list).

** KLR 650 when it's running :unsure:

I think discomfort has a lot to do woth posture and strength. If you are used to working, like me, behind a desk most of the day, you can develop poor posture habits. I consciously work on keeping my back arched on the bike. The arch is a natural shock absorber. You should also do a lot of stretching. Maybe try yoga. Core strenghting exercises are also great. I try and stay kinda purched on the bike--back arched, lightly grip the tank with the knees, and light pressure on the handle bars. Try and feel if bumps in the road cause discomfort and adjust your posture. Experiment with the suspension settings--maybe soften up things a bit. For longer trips, I agree that some sort of throttle lock is must. It allows you to stretch. Dean

I'm having the same issues as you, exactly. For me, it comes down to my 6'3" inches being too long, the distance between the seat & footpegs too short, and most importantly for me, the footrests being too far forward. The best sitting position for me is one where the heals of my feet are directly below my hip bones. FJR's standard position is too far forward. Waiting for feedback on a thread I started earlier.

I've just gotten a 15$ Harley Davidson gift card and an offer to a test ride. Ill skip the test ride and use the gift card to buy 05-08 Buell ulysses footrests, which are the hot ticket for VFR riders, and Moto Guzzi V11 Sport/V11 Lemans owners for doing exactly the same thing, moving the feet back 1" and down 3/4". Worst that can happen is grind down the peg, which I'm doing right now!

Steve

I'm having the same issues as you, exactly. For me, it comes down to my 6'3" inches being too long, the distance between the seat & footpegs too short, and most importantly for me, the footrests being too far forward. The best sitting position for me is one where the heals of my feet are directly below my hip bones. FJR's standard position is too far forward. Waiting for feedback on a thread I started earlier.

I've just gotten a 15$ Harley Davidson gift card and an offer to a test ride. Ill skip the test ride and use the gift card to buy 05-08 Buell ulysses footrests, which are the hot ticket for VFR riders, and Moto Guzzi V11 Sport/V11 Lemans owners for doing exactly the same thing, moving the feet back 1" and down 3/4". Worst that can happen is grind down the peg, which I'm doing right now!

Steve
Thanks Steve...this sounds interesting to me...do you have a pic of your set up you could post? and do you notice a substantial decrease in cornering ability...I know that you are now scraping the pegs more often, but is it affecting your cornering...

Thanks much

6'3", 36" inseam. 190#. Since a skiing accident about 5 years ago, I get back pain whenever cutting vegitables or washing dishes. The ex-wife wouldn't believe me cause I never had back pain on my bike (V-Strom at the time). FJR is the same. No back pain on a stock bike even after 1000+km days. I am considering a Heli or other vendor's triple clamp for a little added comfort though.

A very much discussed issue in the past. I'm 6'3" 215lbs. That pain between the shoulders, IMO comes from too much tension as you ride, not relaxing enough.

Its funny, I can ride twisties all day and not have any problems, a couple hundred miles on the slab and I'll start to knot up a little.

What the others said as a solution, I think is very valid. I can only add to find ways to repostion yourself or develop some kinda on the bike exercises as you ride. Standing up a lot seems to work the best for me.

A very much discussed issue in the past. I'm 6'3" 215lbs. That pain between the shoulders, IMO comes from too much tension as you ride, not relaxing enough. Its funny, I can ride twisties all day and not have any problems, a couple hundred miles on the slab and I'll start to knot up a little.

What the others said as a solution, I think is very valid. I can only add to find ways to repostion yourself or develop some kinda on the bike exercises as you ride. Standing up a lot seems to work the best for me.
Thanks for all the input...I do appreciate it...I will try out the master yoga technique. It just seems to be more than yoga to me because all the other bikes Ive owned (mostly sport touring) never caused me pain. I feel I was more stretched out over the bike and think that changing the cockpit a bit would achieve that. After raising the seat and bars, it seems that moving the pegs under my butt would help ..anyone have any expierence with modifing the pegs..?

Thanks again

I'm 6'3" and about 220 lbs. Fortunately the stock set up works just fine for me and I can ride long days without any real discomfort.

I'm with RadioHowie here, I think you will need an individual solution and what works for other riders may not have much relevance.

Having said that, before you spend any bucks on bike mods, why don't you try finding a few stretching exercises that will improve your flexibility a bit. It could do wonders. I used to have all kinds of back problems when I was younger but a smart doctor got me into doing some stretches which has eliminated my back problems 100% no matter whjat sport I'm involved in.

Which bar risers did you install. If you feel they are not high enough you can stack a second pair of risers without replacing the brake lines or cables. You do have to release the Clutch line anchor bracket down in front of the tank on the left side to get enough slack for the extra inch of height. I tried it for a while stacking Lenkadapters on top of Heli risers (I'm 6'2" and long in body too) but later decided I liked the slightly more aggressive forward lean of just the Heli risers. At the end of last season I was considering going back to the stock height bars, but now at the beginning of this season I'm liking having the risers there.

Just getting your body acclimated to the position to it is a big part of it. Master Yoda all the way...

6'1" 210LBS Stock set up (seat in lower position) no problems but the most I have ridden at one time is just over 300 miles.

Tried the seat on higher setting but I felt no difference in comfort, only more difficult putting my foot down when comming to a stop (31" inseam)